Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Multi-functional events centre (Budget 2014)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭Going Strong

Apparently, Penneys wants to move to Ballincollig where they can have a building made specifically for them to their own specifications.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭hoodwinked

Apparently, Penneys wants to move to Ballincollig where they can have a building made specifically for them to their own specifications.

i have heard this is the case also, apparently they don't want to stay in wilton as they know it will be developed and they don't want to be in a building site/center, i think most companies learned their lesson after the disaster that was douglas village shopping center while it was being developed. In ballincollig they will have a more permanent new building.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

€369,000 to make a common sense decision.:mad:

Was it taxpayers money again.??

http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/euro369k-to-select-cork-event-centre-312133.html

• Registered Users Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭thomil

I was wondering when the outcry would start here. To be frank, that sounds like par for the course of that kind of consultancy job. I'd rather have that money go to a consultancy firm to oversee the proceedings than to leave that up to the city council themselves. Had that happened, I have a gut feeling that a similar amount of money would have had to be spent on legal fees because either some councillor would have tried to feed the project to a friend, or the council would have sc***d the project up beyond all recognition.

Good luck trying to figure me out. I haven't managed that myself yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Michael..

Anybody know when this is due to be built ? Haven't heard much about it since they announced it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,288 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Michael.. wrote: »
    Anybody know when this is due to be built ? Haven't heard much about it since they announced it.

Currently in a consultation period running until middle of the summer I think. Probably late this year before building work commences at the earliest.

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Pablo Escobar

http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/euro369k-to-select-cork-event-centre-312133.html
    It's not just a lucky dip and in no way showed it be treated as a "common sense" decision. It sounds very reasonable tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭CHealy

Money well spent. Imagine if it was left up to the incompetence of the Councillors? It would have been built in Mayfield.

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭Going Strong

CHealy wrote: »
    Money well spent. Imagine if it was left up to the incompetence of the Councillors? It would have been half-built in Mayfield.

Fixed that for you. ;)

In other news, I see that the Moderne building on Patrick Street has a "Reserved" sign on it. Anyone know who's going in there?

Also, what's going on in Mattie Keily's on Maylor Street? I passed earlier and they were bringing in a load of 'I' beams into the building.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,394 ✭✭✭ofcork

I think the modern is being taken by superdry,mothercare also reserved for jack and jones I think.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭KCAccidental

Cork-Heathrow is very profitable, so I wouldn't be too worried in the medium term.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,546 ✭✭✭kub

This sort of journalistic crap really annoys me, pure bull to fill a section of a page in a newspaper. I would expect better of The Examiner, that rubbish is usually in tabloids.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 822 ✭✭✭zetalambda

O'Callaghans plan for Andersons quay:

Andersons%20Quay%200240151.jpg

Andersons%20Quay%200424804.jpg

Andersons%20Quay%200352363.jpg

Andersons%20Quay%200172287.jpg

looks horrible. So sick of the modern obsession with glass frontage.

Brutalist stuff like the old tax office is better looking!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭lisasimpson

Not overly mad on that design i must say

i don't like it either,

when you are building houses by all mean's go mad with your glass on the sun facing sides, chances are it will be renovated/changed when it becomes out of date

but for city center building they should know with the disruption it causes and the fact it should/could be standing for decades the same way, they shouldn't be designing whats "in fashion", they should be designing what will still look good in the future.

how many people love and still admire the architecture on patrick street as opposed to the former "modern buildings" like the tax office on sullivans quay, the kane building in Ucc, merchants quay shopping center or the current modern buildings like the clarion or the elysian.

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭mire

When the buildings on Patrick's Street were built, they were fashionable, and considered modern. I'm not all that keen on the Anderson's Quay one [btw - is that the new proposal or the previously submitted one?]- but it's the shape and massing I have an issue with, not because it is 'contemporary'. The idea that we shouldn't be designing buildings using modern materials and that we should either mimic our old structures or anticipate what tastes will be like in the future is something I'd worry about. Buildings should be designed for the time in which they were built - but not on the basis of 'fashion' or 'trends'.

This notion that all our buildings are great and all contemporary buildings are rubbish is simply mistaken. What we have to remember is that the old historic structures we see today have survived becasue they were the good ones....the rubbish ones have generally been demolished. What' sthe problem with the buildings at the Clarion and the Elysian??

zetalambda wrote: »
    O'Callaghans plan for Andersons quay:

Andersons%20Quay%200240151.jpg

Andersons%20Quay%200424804.jpg

Andersons%20Quay%200352363.jpg

Andersons%20Quay%200172287.jpg

This is an old proposal from about 6 years ago. As far as I know they never got planning permission for it.

mire wrote: »
    When the buildings on Patrick's Street were built, they were fashionable, and considered modern. I'm not all that keen on the Anderson's Quay one [btw - is that the new proposal or the previously submitted one?]- but it's the shape and massing I have an issue with, not because it is 'contemporary'. The idea that we shouldn't be designing buildings using modern materials and that we should either mimic our old structures or anticipate what tastes will be like in the future is something I'd worry about. Buildings should be designed for the time in which they were built - but not on the basis of 'fashion' or 'trends'.

This notion that all our buildings are great and all contemporary buildings are rubbish is simply mistaken. What we have to remember is that the old historic structures we see today have survived becasue they were the good ones....the rubbish ones have generally been demolished. What' sthe problem with the buildings at the Clarion and the Elysian??

they just don't fit it with the city hall area imo they are glass monstrosities, they make city hall look so out of place. they were clearly a "fashion" statement rather than designed to suit the area using modern materials. i like styles more like even the jury's building which has a mix of brick and glass, a building imo should have windows, not be nothing but windows, all wall's of glass or all walls of bricks are just not nice imo and age badly,

you can make something beautiful even using modern materials but the newest buildings i've seen aren't that so far (actually there probably are some nice new ones i just haven't noticed them because they are so nice).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,546 ✭✭✭kub

Is the brown material on the building wood? Well that won't look too pretty after a few months rain fall.
    I hope in the design that they have allowed for easy access by painters as it will have to be maintained otherwise it will look awful.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

If this is from 6 years ago then why's it suddenly showing up - is this actually being entered for planning?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

D'Agger wrote: »
    If this is from 6 years ago then why's it suddenly showing up - is this actually being entered for planning?

And why are the photos so big?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,394 ✭✭✭ofcork

Owen o Callaghans event centre was being built on Albert quay anyway not this site.

D'Agger wrote: »

Because it's just part of Wilson Architecture's online portfolio. Them pictures have been on their site for years. That said, O'Callaghan may just trim a couple of floors off it and re-apply for planning.

I heard a couple of months ago that he has two office blocks planned for this year. One on the aforementioned site and the other on his Albert Quay site. The sooner he develops the Anderson's Quay site the better - serious eyesore.

Those photomontages are quite different to the previously permitted scheme, so I had wondered if this was the latest iteration. If these have been onb Wilson's Site for a while maybe not.

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭calnand

Just saw that Octoberfest Beag will be taking place in Beamish and Crawford, so it looks like there's going to be no work done on the site any time soon.

I have heard rumblings about there being further planning issues with the site. I wouldn't be holding my breath on it.

I wouldn't be surprised if they submitted some proposed amendments to the scheme on the back of redesigns associated with involvement of an operator. This is a big scheme and a big investment. I'd imagine that modifications to the scheme woudl be no big issue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭CHealy

It wouldn't surprise me if this wasn't built for another 10 years. Too much messing going on with it, its been a bad omen from the start.

Advertisement