Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Multi-functional events centre (Budget 2014)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Submission of final tenders in the next 4 days if the timetable is being adhered to

Will be interesting to see what develops from that

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Michael..

D'Agger wrote: »
    Submission of final tenders in the next 4 days if the timetable is being adhered to

Will be interesting to see what develops from that

I'm pretty sure it has been put back until the end of the month.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 822 ✭✭✭zetalambda

Examiner are reporting that Beamish & Crawford site has been chosen. Last paragraph of the following article. http://www.irishexaminer.com/business/pwc-and-starbucks-set-for-one-albert-quay-move-297122.html

Michael.. wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure it has been put back until the end of the month.
    That would certainly make sense based on past trends!!

I think putting the convention centre at B&C will cause huge congestion - something that the bus service will be unable to handle. Hopefully as more comes out we'll see if there's plans for a park and ride.

If they can handle the volumes of people however, it bodes well for business in the city - pub trade etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭CHealy

Anymore updates on this?

I've a bad feeling that we'll never see it built, its going on too long now.

• Advertisement

CHealy wrote: »
    Anymore updates on this?

I've a bad feeling that we'll never see it built, its going on too long now.

I think the decision is due some time in December.

I'd be gobsmacked if the council feck it up again at this late stage. I can't see the government ring-fencing 10million indefinitely, so the pressures on the council to get this over the line soon.

True but so far mine if the initial deadlines have been met regarding the planning / initial stages - does t bode well considering it's due to start in January

• Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

Any more news on this?.Is the chosen site being announced this month?.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭Pitcairn

The City Council has said they expect a decision to be made before Christmas.
    Hopefully they should meet that deadline. They know the pressure is on.

Fingers crossed we will have cranes moving in on Páirc Uí Chaoimh and the event centre early next year.

Pitcairn wrote: »

Fingers crossed we will have cranes moving in on Páirc Uí Chaoimh and the event centre early next year.

:D

I needed that laugh today.

• Advertisement

:D

I needed that laugh today.
    Ah don't be that guy - I'm hoping against all hope here!!

I need better gigs in Cork! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭Jimmy Bottles

We're getting very close to Christmas. I hope the city council haven't made a balls of it.

There was a piece about it in the Evening Echo yesterday. Apparently councillors will be informed on Monday.

Fingers crossed there's no more delays.

• Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭thejuggler

I would have thought our hard working councillors would be on their Christmas holidays by then. We shall wait and see.

For now I'm going with no news is good news, but this really needs to get off the ground

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭BUNK1982

Just came across this in the thread on Cork Airport - it's a list of structural projects that are aiming to receive EU funding.

The events centre in Cork is in there - says that a a decision on a successful bid is due in Dec 2014?

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showp...61&postcount=1

• Registered Users Posts: 9,574 ✭✭✭cgcsb

Decision due on Monday as I know. But I'd doubt that you'l hear anything till January at the earliest. Will there be enough councillors sitting on Monday to rubber stamp the decision? I'd expect many to be gone home till the new year.

cgcsb wrote: »
    Decision due on Monday as I know. But I'd doubt that you'l hear anything till January at the earliest. Will there be enough councillors sitting on Monday to rubber stamp the decision? I'd expect many to be gone home till the new year.
    Well, it's a fairly important addition to the City so you'd hope so

That said I know fúck all about how the Council and how it operates

well it's decision day, and no decision has been made so looks like we'll have to wait till the new year. Perhaps another report will be written.

Think theres a meeting of City Councillors tonight to discuss it. Wheter a decision will be made today or not is another story, but we all know there will be at least 50 major stumbling blocks before this thing is built.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,172 ✭✭✭shnaek

eGXnJpC.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭rebs23

Can't wait for the announcement today. Finally a decision and we can see construction commence. Don't care who gets it at this stage and just hope whoever gets it can start straight away.

Think theres a meeting of City Councillors tonight to discuss it. Wheter a decision will be made today or not is another story, but we all know there will be at least 50 major stumbling blocks before this thing is built.

Glad to hear it, fingers crossed for positive news stemming from it
    rebs23 wrote: »
    Can't wait for the announcement today. Finally a decision and we can see construction commence. Don't care who gets it at this stage and just hope whoever gets it can start straight away.

Whilst I can understand your zeal to have something long overdue come to Cork - I'd prefer to see this done right. In 5 years time I don't want to be on here berating the lack of planning and poor outcome of a project that, if planned and implemented correctly, could have major benefits for this city and its growth

Beamish site has been selected. Fantastic news.

cant see anything online, any news outlet running with this tonight?

• Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭thejuggler

Eoin English is tweeting from the council meeting

https://twitter.com/eoinbearla

Hope it gets going quickly in the New Year.

So whats the next step? Will Mr.O'Callaghan put in some sort of an appeal to hold the whole thing up again or is this it done and dusted?

Great news

Hopefully we won't see many hold ups although that may be asking for too much! :pac:

I believe there was a deadline for starting construction by the end of January or can anybody confirm that? Doubt it'll be started by then given the decision was supposed to be made a month ago going by the schedule given.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭Lambofdave

Whats the plan for parking?

Advertisement