Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ATM Took Money

Options
  • 15-10-2013 4:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    I used an ATM last Thursday 10/10/13 and tried to take out 50 euro. The ATM didn't dispense the cash and said transaction cancelled. (It was an AIB ATM in Nutgrove Shopping centre) I went home and checked my online account and saw that the 50 euro had been taken. I immediately rang 365 and they said to wait 24 hours and if it was not back to call again.

On Saturday the money had still not been returned so I called again, the girl took some details including the card number and said they would try locate the money and it will be with me ''soon''

There is still no sign of it and I need it ASAP. I was wondering what is the timeframe for such things to be resolved? Is there anyway you can help me here and speed up the return of the money? 

Thanks,
    Barry Nolan. 

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 253 ✭✭Bank of Ireland: Paula C

Hi Indestructable,

Thank you for your post.

Normally when an error of this type occurs on an ATM machine, a refund is automatically processed and the funds credited back to your account within 24hrs. If after this time frame the funds have not been credited back to you, an ATM query form has to be raised on your behalf to investigate this.

Unfortunately as we do not have account access here we are unable to query this for you. At this stage we would suggest you contact your account holding branch directly where a representative can investigate this further for you and inform you of the time frame involved in this.

Please see here for our branch locator to assist you should you require it.

If there is anything else we can help you with please do not hesitate to contact us.

Thanks,

Paula C

• Registered Users Posts: 23 pawel2006

Hi,
    I used an ATM last Thursday 10/10/13 and tried to take out 50 euro. The ATM didn't dispense the cash and said transaction cancelled. (It was an AIB ATM in Nutgrove Shopping centre) I went home and checked my online account and saw that the 50 euro had been taken. I immediately rang 365 and they said to wait 24 hours and if it was not back to call again.

On Saturday the money had still not been returned so I called again, the girl took some details including the card number and said they would try locate the money and it will be with me ''soon''

There is still no sign of it and I need it ASAP. I was wondering what is the timeframe for such things to be resolved? Is there anyway you can help me here and speed up the return of the money?

Thanks,
    Barry Nolan.
    I am in exactly the same situation.
    600 EUR disappeared from my BOI bank account 2 weeks ago (27 September). I used my BOI Visa to try to get money from ATM in Dalkey (belonging to other bank - UB) twice and twice I have seen error message on the screen and no money out. Surprise at home: statement showing -600 + 600 - 600 EUR - so total charge 600 EUR for nothing! Logged the claim for refund with my BOI branch (Dublin Baggot Street) immediately. After 2 weeks response from BOI agent: refund refused and no details why. I asked BOI to produce the letter confirming the refund refuse, confirming that BOI contacted UB and why the overcharge is refused, was the ATM balanced at that time etc. I was told by BOI agent that BOI cannot produce such letter to me. So after 2 weeks I still do not know if it was fraud or banking error. Only recommendation I received today from BOI agent is that I should raise exactly the same query with BOI second time and maybe this may work this time. I did so but it sounds a bit strange. Was anyone in Ireland in similar situation with BOI or other bank? What should be my next steps?
    Any advice from BOI or somebody else? What are the steps to escalate it further? I do not want to leave it as somebody has taken advantage of me (either bank or ATM company or sb else).

it is very strange Bank is refusing to give a letter to customer - it simply make it more difficult for customer to follow up with other agencies like Bank Ombudsman or Gardai

Barry: it appears to be bigger problem, not only yourself! My advice is to ask your branch to log claim, maybe you will be more lucky and get the money back.

Pawel

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Tara

Hi pawel2006,

A representative will provide you with a response on the thread you started, regarding the same topic.

Thanks
    Tara

Hi Indestructable

have they sorted you out? I am still awaiting the refund of 600 EUR that disappeared from my BOI account. I am in a very similar situation so wonder how it finished for you.

Regards,

Pawel

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭Indestructable

pawel2006 wrote: »
    Hi Indestructable

have they sorted you out? I am still awaiting the refund of 600 EUR that disappeared from my BOI account. I am in a very similar situation so wonder how it finished for you.

Regards,

Pawel
    Hi there,
    Yes mine was sorted out after I made a phone call in which the girl took my details (including card details) and said she put a tracker on the transaction. Took about 3 working days to get back to me, not overly complicated in the end. I guess I was lucky!

600 is an awful lot of money, it must be a huge worry. I hope it gets sorted for you soon. 
    Regards,
    Barry. 

• Advertisement

Barry,

I am so glad and happy to hear that!!!! and it gives me hope that my case will be also sorted! Yes, 600 EUR is a lot of money and I am looking forward to Bank of Ireland giving me back my money.

Kind Regards,

Pawel

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭cerastes

Having had a much smaller amount of cash not tendered at a machine and naturally trying a second time only to not receive anything, and later noticing both withdrawls were deducted from my account. If a machine does not tender the cash on the first try I would NEVER retry to withdraw a second time, as I had a certain amount of bother recovering the cash from the bank (BOI) as the ATM was one of those inside a shop not sure who owned or operated it but I think it was BOI.

annoyingly most ATMs dont even offer a receipt even when it is requested, contrary to what they suggest, saving the environment from tiny pieces of paper.

Advertisement