Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Extension cost, upstairs and downstairs.

Options
  • 15-10-2013 4:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭

Hi all.

I am looking at an estimate cost to extend our terraced house. It is currently about 49 sq mtr downstairs (kitchen extension), and 40 upstairs. We would be looking to complete the square downstairs (another 15 sq mtr) and add 24 upstairs.

So 39 sq mtr in total. It was suggested to me that it would cost about €1000 per sq mtr, depending on the extras and standard of finish. Is that about right?

It would make two bedrooms larger, add on an extra bedroom and a ton of space downstairs. I think that's worth a 40K investment...

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

a terrace, so difficult access? probably old, so may need structural works?

have you considered planning?
    (b) Subject to paragraph (a), where the house is terraced or semi-detached, the floor area of any extension above ground level shall not exceed 12 square metres.
    http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/2001/en/si/0600.html#article6

• Registered Users Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

BryanF wrote: »
    a terrace, so difficult access? probably old, so may need structural works?

have you considered planning?

Hi BryanF. It's 1940s, but structurally good. We had it replastered 8 years ago when we bought it, and insulated 3 years ago, so it's in good nick. We can get access from next door via our joined back gardens, so although it's not ideal, we'll be ok.

On the planning, a number of other houses in the local have done similar - I wonder how the got around it, as they are all terraced or end-of-terrace at best. That would mean a double storey extension of 12 sq mtr, not extending above the existing kitchen extension (which is ok, because I would have needed to strengthen those foundations). But I will lose part of an existing upstairs room to give access, so all I get is a new 3x3 room.

Hmm, food for thought - thanks!

I hope you don't mind me bumping this. New year, new desire to make the house bigger!

Planning aside (which I know certain neighbours have gotten around), can anyone suggest a likely cost for this work? Still working on the basis of 15 sqm downstairs and about 24 upstairs.

Any thoughts on rough cost and timing for such work?

Thanks in advance!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

Dickerty wrote: »
    I hope you don't mind me bumping this. New year, new desire to make the house bigger!

Planning aside (which I know certain neighbours have gotten around), can anyone suggest a likely cost for this work? Still working on the basis of 15 sqm downstairs and about 24 upstairs.

Any thoughts on rough cost and timing for such work?

Thanks in advance!

Depending on so many site determined factors 50-80k ( best to hold back/allow at least a 10k contingency outside of any contract sum)

BryanF wrote: »
    Depending on so many site determined factors 50-80k ( best to hold back/allow at least a 10k contingency outside of any contract sum)

Thanks Bryan, was thinking 50/60 as shouldn't need major structural work or much change to existing structure (had a lot done when we initially bought and fixed up 8 years ago...)

Cheers.

• Advertisement
Advertisement