Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Inexpensive vegan chicken?

Options
  • 15-10-2013 4:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭

I recently went from vegetarian to vegan and I'm having trouble finding chicken that doesn't cost an arm and a leg :( Most of the vegetarian meats I used to have contain egg and milk, except for Linda Mc Cartney sausage rolls and hotdogs I have. I NEED CHICKEN! Preferably a chicken burger or chicken breast.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭perfectisthe

Fry's do good vegan mock meats. They have 'chicken' burgers, nuggets and strips. You should be able to get them in most health food shops. They're not inexpensive though, they go for about €4-€5 a box.

http://www.frysvegetarian.co.za/

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Papillon!

Are there any other brands you guys can recommend as well as Fry's which I do like a lot but can get sick of?

I'm transitioning to veganism after being veggie for about 6 years put do like meat-substitutes to mix with tofu, beans, pulses, veg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Slaphead07

Papillon! wrote: »
    Are there any other brands you guys can recommend as well as Fry's which I do like a lot but can get sick of?

I'm transitioning to veganism after being veggie for about 6 years put do like meat-substitutes to mix with tofu, beans, pulses, veg

The asia market in Drury Street do a 'yoke' that looks like half of a small chicken and is, I think, made from seitan or plant gluten. It's interesting :rolleyes: , not unpleasant certainly, a little rubbery but nice with saucy beans or a gravy/sauce. Down the back with their other veggie frozen products.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭freethink3r

That sounds really good, thanks:) I'll try it. I do enjoy chickeny things. And seitan's supposed to be really healthy.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭freethink3r

Linda McCarthy stuff is vegan (or maybe only some of it?). I like their sausage rolls. I'm on the lookout for new things myself. Fry's stuff is good but like you said, you can get sick of having the same things.

• Advertisement
Advertisement