Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rent Tax Credit - what happens if property changes ownership?

Options
  • 15-10-2013 5:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 24,247 ✭✭✭✭

I'm renting the same property since March 2010 and having just logged into PAYE Anytime I noticed that my rental tax credit is no longer on my account. We've never signed a new lease after the initial 12 months expired (quite happy to stay on a part 4).

Our original Landlord passed away during our time here (though we'd always dealt with his son) and the account to which we pay rent changed after this. Would this constitute a new tenancy even if no new lease was signed?

I know the Rental Tax Credit was being phased out but our original move-in date would still precede the original moving in date.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

It is my understanding that the passing of the original landlord would constitute a change of ownership of the property. Revenue and the PRTB appear to disagree as to whether it is also a change of tenancy. This exact issue arose here before (I'll try to find the thread) and the tenant had her tax credit reinstated when she queried it (apparently with the PAYE section). Definitely worth querying it.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,247 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

I'll get emailing so! Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭horse7

Next year i hope to be in my own house,and at present i have rent tax credit,so can i cease the credit on line with the tax people or will i go into the rev comms in o connell street. I could just leave it run because it is being phased out,but i think i will get it sorted out.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,247 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Just to update on this, an e-mail to my tax office got the options re-enabled in my PAYE Anytime to re-add the credits and I got about €700 tax back for the past 3 years. :D

Advertisement