Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

installing an immersion switch

Options
  • 15-10-2013 5:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 37

hi all.
    I have a gas central heating system with no immersion switch. on account of this, everytime i want hot water i need to turn the heating on. can anyone tell me what the approx cost would be to install an immersion switch.
    thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

It is probably cheaper to heat the water with the gas, and can be much quicker, lots of variables like the age and efficiency of your boiler, size and insulation on your cylinder etc

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,594 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

To heat water electrically you will require an immersion element as well as an electrical supply to it and yes a switch :)

As per the above post, it is likely that it would be cheaper for you to heat your domestic hot water with gas.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,655 ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

Someone's already done the calculations for you :)

http://thehelpfulengineer.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/Boiler-or-immersion-heater-to-heat-hot-water.pdf

Yep, using the immersion is by far the most expensive way to go in order to heat water - and that's just the running costs. The immersion, plus getting someone to wire it in for you is going to be a chunk of change in itself. I have an immersion in my oil heated family home that's just been renovated, simply because I reused the existing cylinder with immersion and the wiring was an easy run up from the breaker box, but I honestly don't think it'll be switched on more than a handful of times in my lifetime.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Ramonapixie

thanks very much guys. very helpful indeed. i think ill give it a miss so.
    :)

Advertisement