Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Download v Upload speeds?

• 15-10-2013 6:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭

I am investigating fixed line broadband speeds for a house in the Kilmuckridge area.

Eircom inform me (by testing a neighbours active line) that I should experience between 3MB-5MB. For purpose, this is enough.

However, since there's no way to test the upload speed until connecting a device after activation (and signing up to a contract), I've no way to rely on the statement from eircom that I "should" experience at least 0.5MB upload speed. How reliable a statement is this in your opinion?

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Its profile based, so if you get X down you get X up. I can never remember them off but if you're on 3072 I think you'll get 384kb up, 4mb should give ~500kb up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Freddy Smelly

with eircom its like this for adsl/adsl2+

160kps dn 128kps up
    256kps dn 128kps up
    512kps dn 128kps up
    1024kps dn 128kps up
    2048kps dn 256kps up
    3072kps dn 384kps up
    4096kps dn 384kps up
    5120kps dn 384kps up
    6148kps dn 384kps up
    7162kps dn 512kps up
    8186kps dn 512kps up
    9210kps dn 672kps up
    10240kps dn 672kps up
    12288kps dn 768kps up
    15360kps dn 1024kps up
    17084kps dn 1024kps up
    20480kps dn 1024kps up
    24576kps dn 1024kps up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

I have 18m/bit x 2m/bit on an adsl2+ profile in my office. 79 per month though.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 149 ✭✭Chris The Hacker

Praetorian wrote: »

18mb x 2mb? So, you have a 36mb connection?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Wicklow Broadband serve Kilmuckridge and have various packages with 1Mb upload speed.

http://www.wicklowbroadband.com/products/domestic-broadband.php

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭DaDa

Thanks for the info so far. (Has to be fixed-line broadband.)

After digging some more I am informed that Eircom can only ever guarantee an upload speed of approximately 0.375 MB/PS. That falls short of the minimum 0.5 MB/PS required.

UPC broadband is not available yet, and no ETA.

SKY cannot do a test until the line is re-connected. And of course only Eircom can do that.

So, next question ... is there anyone using SKY broadband (through the Kilmuckridge exchange) that could advise the upload speeds they are experiencing?

Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭thenightrider

DaDa wrote: »
    Thanks for the info so far. (Has to be fixed-line broadband.)

After digging some more I am informed that Eircom can only ever guarantee an upload speed of approximately 0.375 MB/PS. That falls short of the minimum 0.5 MB/PS required.

UPC broadband is not available yet, and no ETA.

SKY cannot do a test until the line is re-connected. And of course only Eircom can do that.

So, next question ... is there anyone using SKY broadband (through the Kilmuckridge exchange) that could advise the upload speeds they are experiencing?

Thanks.

Sky can only offer the same speed as eircom as all they do is resell eircom to you.

Sky can only offer the same speed as eircom as all they do is resell eircom to you.

That's what I thought, but an Eircom operator today indicated it is not necessarily the case; that the bandwidth capacity can be determined on the ratio of customers with the different companies within an exchange.

That's what I thought, but an Eircom operator today indicated it is not necessarily the case; that the bandwidth capacity can be determined on the ratio of customers with the different companies within an exchange.

Thats above the level of profiles. Thats backhaul. Its the same DSLAMS(Exchange equipment) so probably the same backhaul as eircom own the core network. The only difference would be when it gets back as far as the "servers" of the system. With a 3Mb connection you wont notice any difference between providers at that level.

Basically Vodafone Sky and Eircom will give identical throughput on your line. Smart/Digiweb use their own gear in a few exchanges which can give different speeds on the same line.

While Sky do use Eircom's lines, back when the Sky held trials about 10 months ago, members of this forum were delighted that their speed improved when they switched from Eircom to Sky. From this, we deduced that Eircom deliberately limit their connections because they're cheapskates.

It's possible you might see an improvement if you did switch to Sky, but you'll still have to endure a 12-month contract with Eircom until you can switch to Sky; however, there is also the possibility you may not even get 0.5mb if you did eventually switch to Sky.

Getting a line is risky and it may not turn out for the better. Just in case you were wondering, I don't believe it's possible to sacrifice download speed to get a better upload speed - I tried it with both Eircom and Sky but to no avail.

Maybe if one of your neighbours has Sky you might be able to check with them?

• Advertisement

Maybe if one of your neighbours has Sky you might be able to check with them?

Sounds like the OP is rural, if so his neighbours are probably a bit away from him. If they're 500m+ from him(as the road travels not the crow flies) then you cant make more than a very general guess based on their line.

ED E wrote: »
    Sounds like the OP is rural, if so his neighbours are probably a bit away from him. If they're 500m+ from him(as the road travels not the crow flies) then you cant make more than a very general guess based on their line.

It's actually a housing estate. Trying to track down someone with SKY as we speak.

ED E wrote: »

Read his first post on this thread. He mentioned that they tested his neighbour's line. No point guessing how many neighbours he has or how far they are away from him - only he knows this.

Like I said, it's risky and he may not see an improvement with Sky, but if I was in his shoes and had neighbours close by, I would knock at their door and inquire about their phoneline.

Just FYI, found a neighbour with SKY broadband and pretty much the download & upload was in line with the eircom data.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

Go with Eircom.
    Even if you could get better with Sky you'd still have to pay line retail for 12 months just for the "luxury" of having a landline, plus broadband on top of that!
    So it'd end up being...
    Line rental. €25 a month (I think)
    Sky broadband €40 a month
    Rural charge. (Fee charged for being on a rural Eircom Exchange) €10
    Total... €75 PER MONTH!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Go with Eircom.
    Even if you could get better with Sky you'd still have to pay line retail for 12 months just for the "luxury" of having a landline, plus broadband on top of that!
    So it'd end up being...
    Line rental. €25 a month (I think)
    Sky broadband €40 a month
    Rural charge. (Fee charged for being on a rural Eircom Exchange) €10
    Total... €75 PER MONTH!

All wrong,Sky include line rental in the price of €40 a month,Eircom are more expensive than the resellers.
    The €40 includes line rental and vat.
    http://www.sky.com/ireland/broadband-talk/broadband-unlimited/

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

zerks wrote: »
    All wrong,Sky include line rental in the price of €40 a month,Eircom are more expensive than the resellers.
    The €40 includes line rental and vat.
    http://www.sky.com/ireland/broadband-talk/broadband-unlimited/
    Actually, Sky don't activate a line so if you don't have an active landline you need to pay Eircom line rental for 12 months which I believe is €25 or €27 a month.
    So,
    €40 for Sky broadband
    €10 for being in a rural location
    €25 Line rental
    Grand Total: €75

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭trompele

Praetorian wrote: »
    This is called broadband enhanced. It uses adsl annex m protocol that will allow 2mbit upload by limiting download to 18 mbit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭trompele

Stay away from skytel and alphabroadband. Permanet is ok.

• Advertisement
Advertisement