Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cat spaying - dissolvable stitches

• 15-10-2013 6:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Does anyone know a vet in Dublin that'll use dissolvable stitches when spaying a female cat?

I have asked a couple of vets already but they're all using stitches that have to be removed 10 days later. I know there's a vet near Sligo who's using dissolvable ones so surely there must be a vet in Dublin?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭Realtine

Well Carey & Keane in Kilmainham spayed my ferals with dissolvable stitches. Pretty sure I wouldn't have been able to catch them again anyway.
    But I don't know for sure if that's what they do anyhow for ferals and if it's a different story for pets.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Hummingbbird7

It's for a pet cat - in my home country keyhole surgery and dissolvable stitches are being used for spaying cats routinely by vets - so I was surprised that most vets in Dublin seem to be using the stitches that have to be removed. I am thinking the stitches that need to be removed are more painful for the cat?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 952 ✭✭✭Themadhouse

removal of the stitches isnt painful for them, just hassle to get the cat back for it. Any vet that deals with feral TNR should be able to do it provided you bring the cat back 3 days later to check the wound. If you have a good relationship with your vet there should be no problem. A midline spay is preferable too.
    I will pm you with a vet just outside dublin. You can ask them.

The problem with the disolvable is that they are more likely to burst and infect unfortunatly. I did get one girl done recently with disolvable stitches purely because travelling in the car terrifies her nd I didnt want to put her through a journey if i could avoid it. That said, I have a good working relationship with my vet and they trusted me to keep a very close eye on the wound.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

I am thinking the stitches that need to be removed are more painful for the cat?
    No they're not really, it's more the effort of keeping them away from them that can be hassle, so a cone might be required. If you were anyway comfortable doing it, they're easy enough to remove yourself but best to leave it to your vet to make sure all has healed correctly if not. The suture material literally just slides out once the end is nicked.

I'm not sure why keyhole spaying is slow to catch on here. It's not taught in Vet School here so that could be a factor and takes a bit of practice and confidence to do it, plus the equipment needed is more expensive too.

Advertisement