Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Horse Riding as a gift

Options
  • 15-10-2013 7:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭

Hello :) Apologies if this is in the wrong section.

This may seem like a really strange question! I'm wondering if you can get a horse riding lesson just as a once off gift? My boyfriend is always saying he loves horses and would have loved to try horse riding but said he'd be too big (not fat, just quite tall and broad!) It's his birthday soon and I thought it would be a quirky gift, although he's still convinced he wouldn't be allowed on a horse because he's too big!

Any thoughts on this or is it a silly idea?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭HarrietD

He would probably enjoy a trek rather than a lesson and it is something you could do together. All riding schools etc would have a weight limit for animal welfare reasons but height wouldn't be an issue if they have a big enough horse that is still suitable in temperament etc for a beginner. You would need to explain in advance to make sure they can accommodate him on the day and match him to best horse. Pick somewhere with nice scenery such as a forest rather than a trek around farmland.

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭MarthaMyDear

Thanks :) Do you have any suggestions of where I could call?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭JillyQ

What part of the country are you in?

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭MarthaMyDear

Kildare/Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭TinaOT

Hi OP I'd hugely recommend Glendalough House Equestrian in Wicklow Totally suited to all levels of riders My husband came for a trek with me - his first time ever on a horse- just the other week & really enjoyed it They have horses for all shapes & sizes & very handily have a small flight of steps to pull up alongside the horse to make mounting easy Then you can always recover with a lovely lunch in Roundwood or Glendalough

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭lyoness

I would ring the place first and ask is there a weight limit for the horses - most places have them these days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 708 ✭✭✭dave66

Another option is Killegar Stables (near Enniskerry), I know they have some good sturdy cobs!

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭HarrietD

The only recent experience I have is Brennanstown riding School in Kilmacanogue. They ride up the little sugar loaf. Stunning views.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭johnk123

HarrietD wrote: »
    The only recent experience I have is Brennanstown riding School in Kilmacanogue. They ride up the little sugar loaf. Stunning views.
    I have been out running the sugarloaf in the last number of months and have seen what I can now piece together to be that riding school.... Always wondered who it was... scenery is stunning up there, can only imagine a trek would be great up there!

Advertisement