Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pet Mice in Dublin?

Options
  • 15-10-2013 7:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi Everyone,

I was just wondering of any knows of any pet mice for sale around Dublin?

Currently I have an empty cage in my house, I used to own 2 gerbils but they just died recently. They were coming up to 4 years old.

I would love to own some pet mice but I have no idea where to get them. I've tried most petshops around Dublin.

So does anyone know anywhere I could get them or know any breeders?

Any help would be appreciated.

Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

I'm of no use to you op, but I can tell you that there are a few posters around here who really know their rodents, and will hopefully be able to point you in the right direction and give you some advice along the way too!
    Best of luck with your search!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

I have a mouse!

I got mine from Petmania in Navan. They sometimes have them, but they mostly don't but will order them in. My last mouse I got from a petshop in Dublin, but she was extremely unwell, coughing and wheezing. She's nearly 2 now, and is on daily medication. So if you do find mice, make sure their coats are nice and shiny, they're active, their eyes are nice and bright with no gumminess, and listen to their breathing, no wheezing or sneezes.

Most shops don't sell them as mice are 'smelly', but that is just male mice, female mice are clean and only smell if their house isn't cleaned.

Keep an eye on donedeal as well, they come up there sometimes, there is also a petshop in Newtownmountkennedy that I believe sells them. They're great little pets, friendly and inquisitive and very, very smart.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

I dont know of any mice breeders (not for the purpose of pets at any rate).

I would be very, very, VERY careful purchasing any rodent from a pet shop. A couple of things you should check are:
    1. Is the bedding suitable? A lot of pet shops will use sawdust with rats which is an absolute no-no.
    2. Are there toys in the cage? If they're all just bundled in with nothing to play with, climb on or tunnel into, then they're not very well stimulated.
    3. Are the males and females properly sexed and separated? The amount of people that leave the pet shop with one/two rodents and end up with 10+ is scary. A lot of pet shop workers won't know anything about the rodents they sell.
    4. Familiarise yourself with physical traits of a young mouse. Many pet shops wont have a clue how old the mice are, and the last thing you want is to arrive home with one that is over middle-aged.
    5. Is the cage well-ventilated? A lot of pet shops will house mice in glass tanks packed one on top of the other, with almost no space for air circulation. Teamed up with incorrect bedding, and any rodent could develop breathing/lung problems.
    6. Do they appear comfortable with being handled? No-one wants to train a rodent not to fear a human hand. Bites are not nice!
    I would recommend you get in touch with Laura from the Bongo Fury Rattery (who is here on boards). She breeds rats, but might know someone reputable who breeds or rehomes mice.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 swimmingrocks

ShaShaBear wrote: »
    I dont know of any mice breeders (not for the purpose of pets at any rate).

I would be very, very, VERY careful purchasing any rodent from a pet shop. A couple of things you should check are:
    1. Is the bedding suitable? A lot of pet shops will use sawdust with rats which is an absolute no-no.
    2. Are there toys in the cage? If they're all just bundled in with nothing to play with, climb on or tunnel into, then they're not very well stimulated.
    3. Are the males and females properly sexed and separated? The amount of people that leave the pet shop with one/two rodents and end up with 10+ is scary. A lot of pet shop workers won't know anything about the rodents they sell.
    4. Familiarise yourself with physical traits of a young mouse. Many pet shops wont have a clue how old the mice are, and the last thing you want is to arrive home with one that is over middle-aged.
    5. Is the cage well-ventilated? A lot of pet shops will house mice in glass tanks packed one on top of the other, with almost no space for air circulation. Teamed up with incorrect bedding, and any rodent could develop breathing/lung problems.
    6. Do they appear comfortable with being handled? No-one wants to train a rodent not to fear a human hand. Bites are not nice!
    I would recommend you get in touch with Laura from the Bongo Fury Rattery (who is here on boards). She breeds rats, but might know someone reputable who breeds or rehomes mice.

Thanks so much for the info. Yeah I've been trying to find a breeder but they just seem so hard to find around Dublin. Yeah I'll try and talk to Laura. If that doesn't work out I might give up and get some gerbils again. Thanks for the tips :)

Advertisement