Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Kilkenny vs Clare 2004 video request

• 15-10-2013 8:04pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 342 ✭✭

Bit of a long shot but i'm looking for a vhs copy of the All Ireland Senior Hurling Quarter Final between Kilkenny vs Clare in 2004.

Anybody know of a copy around?

Cheers in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,344 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

Don't have a video, but I remember the drawn match was a cracker and one of the first times I had seen 7 backs used as a tactic.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 24,015 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

The drawn game was a masterstroke, we really had Kilkenny on the ropes and should have beaten them, I can't remember who they had sent off, but they just couldn't cope with Gillie that day, Alan Markham was used as the sweeper and really showed what an intelligent hurler he was.

I'd say the only hope of getting a copy of this game now would be to get onto the RTE Archives.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 677 ✭✭✭phkk

Clareman wrote: »
    The drawn game was a masterstroke, we really had Kilkenny on the ropes and should have beaten them, I can't remember who they had sent off, but they just couldn't cope with Gillie that day, Alan Markham was used as the sweeper and really showed what an intelligent hurler he was.

I'd say the only hope of getting a copy of this game now would be to get onto the RTE Archives.

As far as I can remember, Tommy Walsh was sent off

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭IanLAD

didn't king henry shefflin get his eye bust open with the narrow end of a hurl from some clare <mod edit.in that game?? probably the reason for the sending off

No, Shefflin incident was in the replay.

Tommy Walsh got sent off for 2 yellows for repeated fouling, which he had coming.

Tony Griffin was full forward for us and they only way Kilkenny could stop him was to show plenty timber.
    We only got two penalties though throughout the game, and I think Gilly scored one but Davy Fitz had one saved ?

• Advertisement

funny how ya call it an "incident" when the man nearly lost an eye, but poor aul Griffin was shown "plenty timber"

fair play on the win this year by the way, savage games, was nice ta finally sit down and enjoy 1 without us in it

I used "incident" for the Shefflin thing, as it was already described above and in any case relates to a different match.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 24,015 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

The sending off was for consistent fouling if I remember correctly, 2 yellow cause the Clare forwards were just getting the ball and running the only thing the KK backs could do was pull them down, it wasn't really for dirty play. There was an announcement that the game was to go to extra time, the Clare supporters were delighted cause we knew that we had them in extra time, unfortunately this was changed about 10 minutes later and we knew that we weren't going to win the replay.

As for the incident, it was caught (and highlighted) on TV and nothing was done about it afterwards so the powers that be didn't deem it to be intentional, so that should be it

Henry Shefflin's eye-injury came from the butt of a Clare hurley, stabbed through the face of his helmet.
    sounds really unintentional to me!!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

That was a harsh nonsense of a sending off from what I remember.

Clare were the better team, but Kilkenny had a penalty in the last minute that Sheffflin tapped over the bar to put KK up by 1. Clare then got an equlalizer from Jamesie O'Connor to force the replay. Good game alright.

• Advertisement

It's almost a decade ago now so my memory of it is probably very tilted now, but I remember Clare being far the better team and Davy screaming at Shefflin to go for goal at the end, I believe it was a 21 yard free not a penalty by the way. It was a nothing foul to be sent off for but there was a lot of persistent fouling and a lot of the KK backs were picking up cards for persistent fouling.

As for the incident between Quinn and Shefflin, both were going up for the ball and the butt of Quinn's hurley went into Shefflin's eye, Shefflin went mad on the sideline shouting at Quinn at the time as well I think. I remember there being loads of hassle over it cause of 2 years previously Quinn was being forced to name the Waterford player who broke his hand off the ball before the GAC would take any actions and then there was trial by Sunday Game, I remember talk of legal action and everything.

Advertisement