Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend some museums in Dublin

Options
  • 15-10-2013 8:07pm
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I'm entertaining a friend from overseas for a few days and I thought I'd take them to some museums. It's been ages since I've done museums in Dublin - can anyone recommend what's good and worth going to?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭hallo dare

Zascar wrote: »
    I'm entertaining a friend from overseas for a few days and I thought I'd take them to some museums. It's been ages since I've done museums in Dublin - can anyone recommend what's good and worth going to?

Thanks

national history museum

• Registered Users Posts: 7,194 ✭✭✭jos28

If you get a chance take them on the Glasnevin Cemetery tour, it's brilliant
    http://www.glasnevintrust.ie/?fuseaction=xml.resultssearch&key=CEM.451479.GL
    Followed by lunch and a pint at The Gravediggers
    http://www.greatshoutforstout.com/gravediggers-kavanaghs/

• Registered Users Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

It's a bit grim maybe, but Kilmainham Goal is a must see, imo

• Registered Users Posts: 29,365 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

The dead zoo, and kilmainham jail for sure.

Collins barracks often has interesting things on, might be worth checking out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,116 ✭✭✭RDM_83 again

The Chester Beatty Library in Dublin Castle is very good (and not really a library).

• Advertisement

The Chester Beatty Library in Dublin Castle is very good (and not really a library).

Heard about it alright. Do you know, if it's wheelchair accessible?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,116 ✭✭✭RDM_83 again

Lars1916 wrote: »

Didn't notice myself but the website says it is,

http://www.cbl.ie/Plan-A-Visit/Accessibility.aspx

There's the Garda museum in the Castle too but I've never visited that

I looking after a guy in a wheelchair, he might be interested in going there :)

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭AsianDub

The Little Museum of Dublin
    National Gallery of Ireland
    Hugh Lane Gallery

• Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭Nodster

Ye Olde Hurdy-Gurdy Museum of Vintage Radio in the Martello Tower in Howth (opp The Abbey Tavern) "From the Wireless to the Web" is worth a visit (adm €5) might be worth a visit

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Nodster wrote: »
    Ye Olde Hurdy-Gurdy Museum of Vintage Radio in the Martello Tower in Howth (opp The Abbey Tavern) "From the Wireless to the Web" is worth a visit (adm €5) might be worth a visit

Great little spot, but, for Lars1916 and friend, it's a steep uphill push and steps to the Martello tower make it pretty much a no-go unless you are properly facilitated and skilled for lifting wheelchair users.

Howth also has the National Transport Museum which always needs more visitors and donations. Might have accessibility issues. http://www.nationaltransportmuseum.org/

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,216 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

The National Museum at Collins Barracks always has something interesting going on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭hollypink

I'd second that and the cafe there, Silk Road cafe has great food. I also like the Yeats exhibition in the National Library; among the exhibits is a booth where you can listen to famous Irish voices reading Yeats' poetry :)

Last time I was in Dublin Castle (a couple of months ago), this was "closed for renovations". So I'd check before making a special trip. Supposed to be fairly interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭liffeylite

Zascar wrote: »

Thanks

Try this list, its quite expansive...
    http://www.visitdublin.com/See_and_Do/Museums_and_Galleries_in_Dublin

also

www.dublineventguide.com lists literally hundreds of free things to do in the city including museums.

www.lecool.com usually has some more leftfield things advertised.

Hope you all enjoy your time in Dublin :)

tricky D wrote: »
    Great little spot, but, for Lars1916 and friend, it's a steep uphill push and steps to the Martello tower make it pretty much a no-go unless you are properly facilitated and skilled for lifting wheelchair users.

Howth also has the National Transport Museum which always needs more visitors and donations. Might have accessibility issues. http://www.nationaltransportmuseum.org/

He usually goes out in a power chair, would that be a suitable venue then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

He usually goes out in a power chair, would that be a suitable venue then?

Short answer: No.

Long answer: Here's a photo of the steps: http://www.geograph.ie/photo/2550998

Lifting wheelchair users up these steps shouldn't be done by anyone not skilled in such lifting. (I know of one person who was in a wheelchair temporarily, who was dropped by his friends on a stair and is now permanently wheelchair bound)

Also the path up could be 10% grade in places; very steep.

:(

tricky D wrote: »
    Short answer: No.

Long answer: Here's a photo of the steps: http://www.geograph.ie/photo/2550998

Lifting wheelchair users up these steps shouldn't be done by anyone not skilled in such lifting. (I know of one person who was in a wheelchair temporarily, who was dropped by his friends on a stair and is now permanently wheelchair bound)

Also the path up could be 10% grade in places; very steep.

:(

Okay, I'll better leave that one out.

But thanks for letting me know:)

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭SimonLynch

I was in Collins Barracks recently, there's a military exhibition that's really good. Fouga plane in the courtyard, Vampire plane suspended from the ceiling in the main hall with several armoured vehicles below (Bren carrier, Landswerk, Panhard I think). It was funny to see guns on display in a museum that I used in the FCA in the 80s :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Piriz

the Science Gallery on Pierce Street is usually very good with different things on every few months...typically spend about an hour per visit...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

I looking after a guy in a wheelchair

Kilmainham Gaol is a no-go so.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,222 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    Last time I was in Dublin Castle (a couple of months ago), this was "closed for renovations". So I'd check before making a special trip. Supposed to be fairly interesting.
    The Chester Beatty Library is wheelchair accessible and is not closed for renovations. They do close on Mondays though.
    Mrs Fox wrote: »
    Good for the OP who is not Lars1916 though :)

miamee wrote: »
    The Chester Beatty Library is wheelchair accessible and is not closed for renovations. They do close on Mondays though.

Just to clarify - it was the Garda Museum that I said had been closed for renovations, not the CBL.

(I must be the only person in Ireland who found the CBL unutterably boring :eek:)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,222 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    Just to clarify - it was the Garda Museum that I said had been closed for renovations, not the CBL.

(I must be the only person in Ireland who found the CBL unutterably boring :eek:)

Oops, sorry :D

There is a new exhibition in CBL just opened that I'm looking forward to seeing.

Costumes Parisien, fashion plates 1912-1914. I think it will be really interesting. The books etc. that are always there I think you need to be in the mood for or maybe if I had more background information I would appreciate them more. I do go in for a wander from time to time :)

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭olly_mac

Mrs Fox wrote: »

I took a person in a wheelchair to Kilmainham Gaol last year, and the guide was very helpful. He did a ground-floor tour for four of us. He actually went out of his way to accomadate, and showed us everything that was possible to see.

I have to say, it was a very busy day at Kilmainham, but we were very impressed by the service provided. The museum attached to the gaol has a lift. so all floors are wheelchair accessable.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

miamee wrote: »

Whoops! My bad!

Advertisement