Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HNLMS Dolfijn in Cork Harbour

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 545 ✭✭✭Daibheid

Very impressive to see up close and the Dutch were very pleasant and relaxed about people approaching.

It's striking when you look at the waterline markings and realize there's almost 7 metres more out of sight. It's about the same length as a Type VII U boat but couldn't be more different in terms of size.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 495 ✭✭Hifive

Jasus, you'd need a fair sized bucket of Trilux to cover that yoke every year!:)

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,337 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

Great photos Daibheid, close enough to put a sticky bomb on her :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 545 ✭✭✭Daibheid

fergal.b wrote: »
    Great photos Daibheid, close enough to put a sticky bomb on her :D

I chanced on another nations warship out the twighlight at 30knots one evening and got a much less relaxed reception from the heavily armed attendant picket boat! They even had a boom in the water 30metres off the ship.

The Dutch as you can see were a pleasure to visit.

BTW anyone ever seen the angled rear diving planes on a sub before - a first for me. I'm guessing it has something to do with being used to bank the boat into high speed turns as well as diving angle control.

Advertisement