Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Neighbour's thorny trees Growing into my Garden

• 15-10-2013 8:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 38

My next door neighbour has very large thorny bushes/trees both in the front and back gardens, that keep growing right into my garden. I have asked them to cut them back but they rarely do.

Can I just cut it back myself and throw the cuttings back into their garden?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

Yes

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭Alias G

Well you obviously can't throw the cuttings back into your neighbours garden. Why not compost them. You can cut back whatever grows into your garden but not what overshadows it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,427 ✭✭✭Morag

By law the cuttings belong to your neighbors and you are meant to give the cuttings to them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,655 ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

seahorse61 wrote: »
    My next door neighbour has very large thorny bushes/trees both in the front and back gardens, that keep growing right into my garden. I have asked them to cut them back but they rarely do.

Can I just cut it back myself and throw the cuttings back into their garden?

You can cut back overhanging hedge, bushes, to the property line, but throwing the cuttings over the wall into their garden sounds more like a move designed to antagonise them than anything else...

• Registered Users Posts: 38 seahorse61

I understand, but it is frustrating having to dispose cuttings from their trees.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,848 ✭✭✭Andy-Pandy

Alias G wrote: »
    Well you obviously can't throw the cuttings back into your neighbours garden. Why not compost them. You can cut back whatever grows into your garden but not what overshadows it.

You can actually, it may not be very neighbourly but neither is not cutting them back in the first place. OP you can cut back anything that overhangs your property as long as you do so in a way that does not permanently damage the plant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

mike_ie wrote: »
    You can cut back overhanging hedge, bushes, to the property line, but throwing the cuttings over the wall into their garden sounds more like a move designed to antagonise them than anything else...

I can't think of any neighbour who wouldn't be aggravated by someone throwing cuttings into their garden, even if it's from their own tree.

I think the best thing would be to mention to them that you're going to trim back the overhanging branches and ask them if they'd like the cuttings back to use as kindling or something. That way you're not 'stealing' bits of their tree, and you're not just dumping a pile of branches over their fence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,508 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

kylith wrote: »
    I can't think of any neighbour who wouldn't be aggravated by someone throwing cuttings into their garden, even if it's from their own tree.

I think the best thing would be to mention to them that you're going to trim back the overhanging branches and ask them if they'd like the cuttings back to use as kindling or something. That way you're not 'stealing' bits of their tree, and you're not just dumping a pile of branches over their fence.

And if they say no he has to dispose of them himself? Let the neighbour be aggravated, he should be cutting back the trees himself.

And if they say no he has to dispose of them himself? Let the neighbour be aggravated, he should be cutting back the trees himself.

...and if the neighbour just wandered onto the property anytime he felt like it, hedgeclippers in hand, there'd be a dozen threads on here about that issue instead.

I live out in the countryside, so fair enough I don't have to deal with filling a green bin or whatever - everything gets put in a pile and left to rot. But common sense would dictate chat to the neighbour first, see if he's happy to deal with the clippings seeing as the OP can't or doesn't have the capacity to. Neighbour might be happy for OP to dump them in his green bin, or some of them at least...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

Be neighbourly about this, in the first place. lead by example I say :D

Firstly discuss with the neighbour in a friendly way ie you want to trim back overhanging branches to the boundry and ask if he would like the trimmings back. An amicable solution is best. He may be more than happy to allow you to take a bit more off.

Should that not be the case you can trim back to the boundry (be exact as to where the boundry and not an inch further) as long as your trimming does not lead to the demise of the tree (in which case you would be liable). I would suggest if this is not an amicable arrangement you do not further add to the tension and dispose of the trimmings yourself. You are of course entitled to toss them back over the boundry (carefully) but this could only add to the tension.

• Advertisement

...and if the neighbour just wandered onto the property anytime he felt like it, hedgeclippers in hand, there'd be a dozen threads on here about that issue instead.

I live out in the countryside, so fair enough I don't have to deal with filling a green bin or whatever - everything gets put in a pile and left to rot. But common sense would dictate chat to the neighbour first, see if he's happy to deal with the clippings seeing as the OP can't or doesn't have the capacity to. Neighbour might be happy for OP to dump them in his green bin, or some of them at least...

Issue wouldn't exist if the neighbour cut back his trees as requested. The neighbour is responsible for the disposal, not the OP. If the neighbour wanted the cuttings looked after neatly then they should have taken care of it themselves when the op requested it.
    Oldtree wrote: »
    Be neighbourly about this, in the first place. lead by example I say :D

Firstly discuss with the neighbour in a friendly way ie you want to trim back overhanging branches to the boundry and ask if he would like the trimmings back. An amicable solution is best.

Should that not be the case you can trim back to the boundry (be exact as to where the boundry and not an inch further) as long as your trimming does not lead to the demise of the tree (in which case you would be liable). I would suggest if this is not an amicable arrangement you do not further add to the tension and dispose of the trimmings yourself. You are of course entitled to toss them back over the boundry (carefully) but this could only add to the tension.

I'm sorry, but in what way is that an amicable solution? Its amicable for the neighbour because you are suggesting the OP shoulder all the work and disposal. Maybe the word you mean to use is submissive?

Issue wouldn't exist if the neighbour cut back his trees as requested. The neighbour is responsible for the disposal, not the OP. If the neighbour wanted the cuttings looked after neatly then they should have taken care of it themselves when the op requested it.

I'm sorry, but in what way is that an amicable solution? Its amicable for the neighbour because you are suggesting the OP shoulder all the work and disposal. Maybe the word you mean to use is submissive?

and there is the issue of liability for your neighbour that if someone in your garden had their eye out due to the overhanging thorny tree then the neighbour would be liable. :P

no I don't mean submissive and there is no point approaching this in an aggressive manner. You have to live with your neighbour (and vice versa) so it is best to find an amicable solution or the most amicable route to achieve what you want, rather than getting into a spat which will then come back to haunt you in the future. Quid pro quo :D

no I don't mean submissive and there is no point approaching this in an aggressive manner. You have to live with your neighbour (and vice versa) so it is best to find an amicable solution or the most amicable route to achieve what you want, rather than getting into a spat which will then come back to haunt you in the future. Quid pro quo :D

Look, I'm all for playing nice neighbours but I wouldn't be a fan of constantly requesting a neighbour take care of maintenance that is affecting my own space. You have to draw a line at some stage and i think that line should be drawn at disposing of someone else's waste. If the neighbour won;t cut back the offending trees and the OP has to do it themselves then the certainly shouldn't be disposing of the cuttings. Amicable means friendly, what's friendly about ignoring the issues you are causing your neighbour and watching them do your work?

Op doesn't need to roar up to neighbour and ram said cuttings up his arse, but they can definitely be justified in leaving them on neighbours property for them to dispose of especially as the neighbour cant be bothered cutting back his own trees.

The point is, to the letter of the law, there's no obligation for the neighbour to come round and cut the other side of the hedge. IT'd be a nice thing for him to do sure, and I'd probably consider extending the offer myself in a similar situation, but he doesn't have to. There's also the issue nowadays of something going missing while hedge is getting cut, something getting damaged, or neighbour getting hurt while on the property.

Me, I see it as one of the factors (positive or negative, you decide) of having neighbours, and the law seems to agree.

You have to draw a line at some stage and i think that line should be drawn at disposing of someone else's waste.

Technically they weren't waste when they were attached to the tree. They became waste when the OP cut them down - the OP's waste :D I know that sounds pedantic and I'm making light of it, but it's the truth.
    If the neighbour won;t cut back the offending trees and the OP has to do it themselves then the certainly shouldn't be disposing of the cuttings. Amicable means friendly, what's friendly about ignoring the issues you are causing your neighbour and watching them do your work?

I've read nothing so far that indicates that the neighbour wouldn't be happy to take said cuttings and dispose of them, and it's not like they turned around and told the OP to **** off when asked to trim them in the past either. Seems like a conversation over said prickly bushy fence is in order first...

Technically they weren't waste when they were attached to the tree. They became waste when the OP cut them down - the OP's waste :D I know that sounds pedantic and I'm making light of it, but it's the truth.

I've read nothing so far that indicates that the neighbour wouldn't be happy to take said cuttings and dispose of them, and it's not like they turned around and told the OP to **** off when asked to trim them in the past either. Seems like a conversation over said prickly bushy fence is in order first...

They are waste once cut, sure - they are also the neighbours property and OP cannot legally dispose of them without permission.

I think its inferred from the initial post that the neighbour isn't very accommodating and the OPs patience has run out.

I think its inferred from the initial post that the neighbour isn't very accommodating and the OPs patience has run out.

The OP indicated that he/she had not offered the neighbour to do the job themselves, which would be the next route to try. What are you going to do if the neighbour does not do the job (for whatever reason)?

The OP indicated that he/she had not offered the neighbour to do the job themselves, which would be the next route to try. What are you going to do if the neighbour does not do the job (for whatever reason)?

Its not like you have a lot of choice. Legally the neighbour doesn't have to cut them, morally he should. I'd probably call him a bollocks, cut them myself and throw the waste back into his garden.

I'LL ask him once more to cut them back. If i do not receive a positive reply, its out with the cutters and over the wall with the cuttings. I must emphasise that these bushes are horrible and are covered with very large thorns.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,427 ✭✭✭Morag

I suggest you take picutres before you cut them and after and of the returned clipings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 336 ✭✭CBYR1983

If this is such a monstrosity of a hedge then the OP should be able to stuff the cuttings in behind the wall and they won't even be noticed.

seahorse61 wrote: »
    I'LL ask him once more to cut them back. If i do not receive a positive reply, its out with the cutters and over the wall with the cuttings. I must emphasise that these bushes are horrible and are covered with very large thorns.
    If you do not receive a positive reply then ask if you can cut them back. Ask if you can prune them well back into the neighbours garden, a foot or two. You may then be allowed to prune these bushes further back then you are legally allowed to do, thus cutting down on work in the future and leave a nice gap for cuttings to fall into. :D
    good idea to take photos and (to the letter of the law) to protect yourself - written permission if going further back than the boundary. Take great care not to damage anything else.

Thank for the ideas. Photos will be taken.

But given my neighbours are so unconcered about it and are frankly just lazy, I will be going with the option of cutting it back and putting the cuttings over the wall behind the bush.

Advertisement