Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unsolicited Email Marketing

Options
  • 15-10-2013 8:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Not sure if this thread is breaking any rules, please delete if it is.

I'm just wondering about the use of purchased / obtained email lists to market to potential customers.

As far as I know, it breaks data protection law. But I have worked in 2 fairly large companies, who purchased databases, exchanged them with other companies and scraped together email lists. They both had great success doing this, and never received any customer complaints etc, some unsubscribed, but no many

Is it a case that the laws just aren't enforced, and/or people don't bother complaining to the Data Protection Commission?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭Peterdalkey

It is illegal but you probably sum it up perfectly in you last sentence! Thus one does it at ones own peril!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 386 ✭✭anbrutog

It is illegal but you probably sum it up perfectly in you last sentence! Thus one does it at ones own peril!

As Peter said. Regardless of whether you get caught or not ( you probably won't unless you're really obnoxious about you go about it ) it's not going to do your business any favours in terms of image if you're spamming.

By the way, quick question about that list that was scraped together, I'm curious how these companies unsubscribed when they were never subscribed to begin with?

anbrutog wrote: »
    As Peter said. Regardless of whether you get caught or not ( you probably won't unless you're really obnoxious about you go about it ) it's not going to do your business any favours in terms of image if you're spamming.

By the way, quick question about that list that was scraped together, I'm curious how these companies unsubscribed when they were never subscribed to begin with?

Effectively you "subscribe" them when you load the lists and all proper mass emailing programmes must have an "unsubscribe" button or links in any mails sent.

Effectively you "subscribe" them when you load the lists and all proper mass emailing programmes must have an "unsubscribe" button or links in any mails sent.

The more reputable ones I've used like Aweber and Infusionsoft don't just let you load up a list of email addresses and start sending out emails. You have to get the users permission to 'opt-in' to your list before you can do anything.

Hence I was curious how they would have unsubscribed when they hadn't subscribed (knowingly) to begin with.

That's not to say of course there aren't companies who will let you load up a list and start spamming...:D

You can load lists from your existing customer databases and CRM systems and legally mail them without permission provided you have had communications/enquiries etc or traded with them in the past 12 months. It is a small step to add spam lists!

• Advertisement

You can load lists from your existing customer databases and CRM systems and legally mail them without permission provided you have had communications/enquiries etc or traded with them in the past 12 months. It is a small step to add spam lists!

Interesting.

I was the under the impression that most of them required an opt-in at least, certainly the ones I've used do anyways..

• Registered Users Posts: 3 gazillionaire

Thanks for the responses guys. As far as I know, they were uploaded in bulk to Campaign Monitor, and you just had to tick a box / agree to terms saying everyone on the list had agreed to be opted in.
    There was an unsubscribe button at the bottom of every email, and anyone who clicked was unsubscribed immediately

Advertisement