Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

grinds in mechanics (statics)?

Options
  • 15-10-2013 8:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 32

I'm a first year doing biomedical engineering and I'm really struggling with mechanics. I never did physics or applied maths (I did honours maths, biology and engineering for the leaving) so I've no grounding in the subject at all. Anyone know someone who gives grinds in it or can just help me? Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Ginge Young

Don't if you know about it/checked it out yet but on the ULSU website there is a section dedicated to grinds. People can register to provide them and they put their contact details etc there.

If you haven't looked it yet you can access it through this link http://www.ulsu.ie/grinds

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭KealanOCarroll

The science learning centre covers physics so they may be of some use to you

What's the module code and I'll look up the exam papers, I may be of some use to you, I'm a 4th year CAED

• Registered Users Posts: 32 daveshere

I have checked the grinds section on the UL page thanks. €40 for grinds in a group session, I'm in college, that is literally my money for the week. 20 or 30 I could agree upon you know? The course code is ME4111 :) CAED do the same modules for us in 1st year I think?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 MikeyFinnUL

Im a second year Aero, have notes done up on that module and willing to do grinds for 30eu an hour, 1 to 1.
    Got an A1 in that module and A1s in Maths, Applied Maths and Physics in the LC.
    Gave grinds to people repeating the module in the summer and both achieved the capped C3 grade. PM me if interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,652 ✭✭✭Chimaera

Get on to the Science Learning Centre. Anyone doing physics should be able to help you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭brophya2007

daveshere wrote: »
    I have checked the grinds section on the UL page thanks. €40 for grinds in a group session, I'm in college, that is literally my money for the week. 20 or 30 I could agree upon you know? The course code is ME4111 :) CAED do the same modules for us in 1st year I think?

Attached are answers to three papers. I just hope you have the papers as I can't find them i'm afraid.

New lecturer, new syllabus I think brophya2007. At the very least, there is a new exam layout.
    There has been an update to a sharepoint system also, which has resulted in many of those exam papers being unavailable.

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭brophya2007

New lecturer, new syllabus I think brophya2007. At the very least, there is a new exam layout.
    There has been an update to a sharepoint system also, which has resulted in many of those exam papers being unavailable.

That's a balls - are you still using the Meriam&Kraige book? All answers are available online with workings.

Ya, they're still using the Meriam and Kraige book. Not sure which edition he's using this year. Didn't know that! I know most don't buy the book due to the cost of it too although I'd imagine it's available illegally online...
    Sharepoint system is a balls alright. I'd imagine the exam has been made easier than what it was before although the F rate is still shocking.
    Anything below 40% is a straight F (might've been the case when you were there) and the lecturer, David Newport, shows no mercy in failing people.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,652 ✭✭✭Chimaera

Anything below 40% is a straight F (might've been the case when you were there) and the lecturer, David Newport, shows no mercy in failing people.

And he's dead right to. Anyone who doesn't understand what's going on in Mechanics 1 and 2 should be looking for a different course IMO.

I started in Mech Eng 16 years ago and everyone passed both modules back then (we only had one drop out in 4 years) so there's really no excuse for anyone these days especially when the course contains less material overall.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24 oryxandcrake

daveshere wrote: »

I'm an engineering choice student, thinking of getting mechanics grinds as well (didn't do physics/applied maths last year either). If we went in a group, it'd be a bit cheaper.

Advertisement