Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is this strange?

Options
  • 15-10-2013 8:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭

Hi folks,

The wife and myself are a bit confused this evening and I'm hoping some of you might be able to help.

A house went up in out area at €110K last Mon/Tues. I called the auctioneer today to arrange a viewing for this Saturday and he told me he hopes to have it sold by then and I was welcome to view it but it would probably be gone.

He had given an offer to the sellers and was just waiting to hear back.

I said fine and asked how much was the offer and he said bang on the asking price.

Is a first offer bang on the asking price not a bit strange? He said the people had proof they had the money which was of massive importance to the sellers.

I told him I'd think about it and would call him tomorrow.

The back ground on this house is that there is a marriage break-up and this house is one of 3/4 being sold by the sellers. The other houses have been up on daft/myhome for a couple of years. This house is lying idle for over 4 years and still needs a small bit of wiring+plumbing to finish.

I understand why people would want evidence of people's ability to pay but it is only up 8 or 9 days and they are accepting the first offer they get? After the house was lying idle for years?

Is it a bit odd?

Cheers,
    OTB.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭Mr.Fred

Is the house being sold by the bank? If so they'll take the first offer of asking.

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭Outsidethebox

It could well be Fred.

I don't know.

He said he had given the offer to the "seller"

Could this be the bank? I guess so.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭Mr.Fred

I'd be surprised he didn't tell you if it was the bank.

He may well be testing you to see if you'll do the expected and say "we'll match the offer and complete on sale faster.etc."

Call his bluff and if it's not sold next week go in with an offer but if ye really want the house then you know yourself where that may end up,

• Registered Users Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭gaius c

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭Outsidethebox

Thanks gaius.

That is nuts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,397 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Estate agents get bout 1-1.5% of the selling price so if they sell for €110k they're looking at making 1,100 out of the sale. If they reopen bidding, do more viewings and get say €120k, they only make €100 more out of it. So it's not really even worth their while.

Advertisement