Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pomsky!!

• 15-10-2013 9:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4 Amanda009

Anyone know where or if pomsky pups can be got in Ireland?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

Whats that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

They don't exist. That internet picture isn't a pomsky. It's a Finnish Lapphund puppy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

Honestly, anyone breeding these dogs should be avoided, no reputable dog breeder would do it. They are to be conceived by artificially means as the size means they can't mate naturally and you can almost guarantee that someone who is breeding these dogs won't be doing the necessary health testing. If you want a dog that would be nearly the same in the manner of looks you might have better luck trying for a Swedish Vallhund, which are an actual breed, not a designer breed. They essentially look like husky/corgis!

They don't exist. That internet picture isn't a pomsky. It's a Finnish Lapphund puppy.

puppies are skeptical about this situation

finnish-lapphund-puppies-photo.jpg

This lil fluffball looks pretty different
    http://www.gracielushihtzu.com/pomeranian-husky-pomsky

It's not nice anyway to be messing with them like that so don't be looking for them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,983 ✭✭✭Raminahobbin

I first saw the picture in the BAWWWWWW thread and figured it would take a week before I saw it mentioned it here...I'm actually surprised, it took 11 days! :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 Amanda009

I'm confused there adorable! Really want one (if they exist ) small husky for an apartment would be perfect they just don't seem to be in Ireland!!

A husky in an apartment?!

If you do manage to get one of these dogs, they are still half husky and would have a very high exercise drive, you have no guarantee of what the dog would turn out like. It could be the size of a pom, could be the size of a husky, either way I wouldn't say they would make a very good apartment dog! If you let people here know what kind of traits you would want in a breed I'm sure someone would have a suggestion for a good apartment dog!

Oh I know that would have lots of exercise and plenty of attention!! Was just putting it out there anyway thanks for feed back all

Yes an apartment (large downstairs apartment with garden)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭muddypaws

Thank god nobody in Ireland is breeding them (yet). If you want a pom, get a pom, why would you give money to people who don't give a toss about animal welfare? Do you think the breeders would do health tests? Huskies can suffer from hip and eye problems, not sure about poms, putting the two together doesn't mean they won't have the issues, but it does mean that the puppy farmers breeding them don't do the tests. If you want to give shed loads of money for an unhealthy dog, thats entirely up to you of course.

Well some dogs that would be similar to a 'pomsky' without being a designer breed (which is bad news from the get go - all about money no focus on health) would be a Japanese spitz, german spitz, finnish lapphund, swedish vallhund, schipperke, keeshond, norwegian elkhound to name just a few!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 406 ✭✭Rommie

I was reading something about them a few days ago, will try and find the link, and someone commented on it saying a friend of theirs breeds them by pinning the female husky to the ground and holding her there so the pom can breed her. Wouldn't surprise me at all if that's what these so-called 'breeders' are doing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

Rommie wrote: »
    I was reading something about them a few days ago, will try and find the link, and someone commented on it saying a friend of theirs breeds them by pinning the female husky to the ground and holding her there so the pom can breed her. Wouldn't surprise me at all if that's what these so-called 'breeders' are doing

As far as I know, there are breeders in America that pay heavily for artificial insemination in an attempt to slowly introduce a small-breed husky. But they're doing it generation by generation, and not selling puppies.

It's baffling how anyone who hasn't done basic Biology in secondary school cannot grasp that just because someone tells you the dog will be small, doesn't mean it will be.

Just look at the thousands of Terrier mongrels in the pound, should give anyone an idea of the size range of dog crosses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Isn't the Klee Kai a smaller breed of Husky? If I were looking for something with the drive of a Husky that I could fit in my house that's what I'd be looking at.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 the_wee_eejit

Honestly, anyone breeding these dogs should be avoided, no reputable dog breeder would do it. They are to be conceived by artificially means as the size means they can't mate naturally and you can almost guarantee that someone who is breeding these dogs won't be doing the necessary health testing. If you want a dog that would be nearly the same in the manner of looks you might have better luck trying for a Swedish Vallhund, which are an actual breed, not a designer breed. They essentially look like husky/corgis!

couldn't agree more with this sentiment!!! When i saw those pomsky pix doing the rounds on facebook i was horrified - what feckin sicko puts these two breeds together????!!! I'm sick to death of these idiots who want/buy 'designer' dogs - i've got news for you, you're buying A MONGREL and animal shelters are full of them already so wind ya necks in and give yerselves a slap in the face with a wet fish to wake the feck up!!! Dogs are suffering because of this 'trend'!!!! These 'designer' breeders & buyers should be shot with there own ****! Rant over.

couldn't agree more with this sentiment!!! When i saw those pomsky pix doing the rounds on facebook i was horrified - what feckin sicko puts these two breeds together????!!! I'm sick to death of these idiots who want/buy 'designer' dogs - i've got news for you, you're buying A MONGREL and animal shelters are full of them already so wind ya necks in and give yerselves a slap in the face with a wet fish to wake the feck up!!! Dogs are suffering because of this 'trend'!!!! These 'designer' breeders & buyers should be shot with there own ****! Rant over.

I have news for you , every dog is a Mongrel.;)

Klee Kai is really what you should be looking for but i dont know one breeder in Ireland that has them. There are a few in the UK if you are willing to travel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 586 ✭✭✭devotional1993

With the rogue breeders that this country seems to turn out especially in some areas the "pomsky" will be on donedeal in no time.
    As a sibe owner of 16 years it sickens me to see the amount of them for sale and even in shelters. With this a smaller cuter version it will be the fashionable dog until the next one comes along.

This is the one to go for anybody looking for a smaller husky type but remember all dogs need space and exercise...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alaskan_Klee_Kai

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

If you want a small 'husky' type dog, then why not a Shiba Inu?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭muddypaws

With the rogue breeders that this country seems to turn out especially in some areas the "pomsky" will be on donedeal in no time.
    As a sibe owner of 16 years it sickens me to see the amount of them for sale and even in shelters. With this a smaller cuter version it will be the fashionable dog until the next one comes along.

This is the one to go for anybody looking for a smaller husky type but remember all dogs need space and exercise...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alaskan_Klee_Kai

I didn't think they were a recognised breed either by reputable kennel clubs?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

I've no interest in these dogs but I do find it hilarious that people seem to forget all breeds start out in similar circumstances. They are all mixture of a number of different breeds until they eventually become standardised. Every pure breed dog has been manipulated by man.

Bullseye1 wrote: »
    I've no interest in these dogs but I do find it hilarious that people seem to forget all breeds start out in similar circumstances. They are all mixture of a number of different breeds until they eventually become standardised. Every pure breed dog has been manipulated by man.

That's true, but they were all done by careful breeding programmes, picking dogs that complimented each other and helping to improve the breeds, whereas in the case of people breeding designer dogs, it's not about trying to genetically establish a new breed , it's about throwing any 2 dogs together, giving the outcome a 'cute' name and charging a rediculous amount of money for what is essentially a 'mutt'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

It's only a mutt until it's recognised by the KC. Again I've no interest in this or other fashion breeds but they exist for a reason just as hunting dogs exist. Many pure breeds are now extinct and new ones are coming online. With people living in smaller accommodation they are looking to scale everything down. Also with more and more houses being constructed air tight with mechanical ventilation we will find more people developing asma and dogs will be designed around those constraints.

What needs to happen is proper and enforced regulations. I would get Revenue involved as they appear to be the only government body capable of putting the fear of god into people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

Bullseye1 wrote: »
    It's only a mutt until it's recognised by the KC. Again I've no interest in this or other fashion breeds but they exist for a reason just as hunting dogs exist. Many pure breeds are now extinct and new ones are coming online. With people living in smaller accommodation they are looking to scale everything down. Also with more and more houses being constructed air tight with mechanical ventilation we will find more people developing asma and dogs will be designed around those constraints.

What needs to happen is proper and enforced regulations. I would get Revenue involved as they appear to be the only government body capable of putting the fear of god into people.

Do you really think something like a 'cavachon' or a 'puggle' will get recognised by relevent KCs?? Or that in years to come we'll see a 'teacup' yorkie on show in Crufts? I wouldn't be the biggest KC fan but I can't see them deciding that "hey, people want smaller dogs because they live in smaller houses" so we'll say that runts are teacup yorkies and establish them as a breed of their own. Nor that it's so far removed from why the Yorkshire Terrier was established as a breed in itself. I think if a breed is going to be established and recognised it has to have a strong link as to why the original breed was established and worked. The only exception I can think of to this would be the labradoodle, bred as a guide dog, fulfilling a working purpose rather than a fashionable convenience. And even the labrador has been working as a guide dog for almost a century although it's working life started as a hunting dog.

Also just on asthma, while a certain percentage of sufferers inherit the condition, others suffer from a variety of triggers such as pollen, damp, animals, household chemicals etc. Living in an airtight home certainly doesn't indicate that more people will develop the disease. I'm very much in the camp that believes that people keep children far too clean and don't give them any exposure to germs at all, thus compromising their immune system. Marketing companies do a very, very good job telling people that their homes need to be 99.9% clean, and c'mon, do we really need no touch soap dispensers in our home? The money in your pocket is teeming with germs, the doorhandle of the shop you bought the paper in is covered in germs, if you use public transport you sit on a seat full of dust mites and germs. If the bus/train is full you get to hold a germy handrail. People need to loosen up and let kids live their lives without wiping their hands and faces every 5 minutes and let their immune system build up naturally.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭gramo

I have been looking for a pomski aswell as the kids have fallen in love with the pictures.

I'm not a dog loving man but have to say something that size and with the look of a husky is a dog I would happily introduce to my family.

I know some of yous have mentioned other breeds. What breed can you recommend in that size range with that particular look? I don't want a big dog, and I don't want it to live in the back garden.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

A Shiba Inu.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭sadie06

gramo wrote: »
    I have been looking for a pomski aswell as the kids have fallen in love with the pictures.

Your children will fall in love with any puppy pics, and you will be even happier introducing a puppy that was conceived naturally (which I'm sure you have figured out is not the case with a Pomsky) to your family.

Best of luck with your search.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭Vel

I'm not a dog loving man but have to say something that size and with the look of a husky is a dog I would happily introduce to my family.

I know some of yous have mentioned other breeds. What breed can you recommend in that size range with that particular look? I don't want a big dog, and I don't want it to live in the back garden.

Have you any other requirements for your potential new family member, other than looks and size?

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭gramo

Vel wrote: »
    Have you any other requirements for your potential new family member, other than looks and size?

I know that i will be the one walking and cleaning up after it so I want something that I will stay in love with lol.

Growing up we had chiuawas and then basset hounds. I want something that has the look and stamina as a husky but not too big in size.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,324 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

I know that i will be the one walking and cleaning up after it so I want something that I will stay in love with lol.

Growing up we had chiuawas and then basset hounds. I want something that has the look and stamina as a husky but not too big in size.
    Are you aware of the level of exercise (physical and mental) a breed such as Husky require every single day?

Advertisement