Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best triathlon event in Ireland?

Options
  • 15-10-2013 10:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 42

I'm living abroad but would like to train for one event in Ireland next year. Wondering what is the most well-organised, scenic and enjoyable olympic distance course in Ireland, based on people's experiences.

Would be good to have a nice event in mind to keep me going training on the cold winter nights!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭MrCreosote

Hell of the west in Kilkee would tick all the boxes for you. Not too late in the season either.

If only it was in Kerry, it would approach perfection.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭bryangiggsy

MrCreosote wrote: »
    Hell of the west in Kilkee would tick all the boxes for you. Not too late in the season either.

If only it was in Kerry, it would approach perfection.

Hell of West +1

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

I'd have to agree with Hell of the West as it's a great race and a beautiful location. Mind you, Rosses Point is very nice too and worth considering.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

TheCruiser wrote: »
    I'm living abroad but would like to train for one event in Ireland next year. Wondering what is the most well-organised, scenic and enjoyable olympic distance course in Ireland, based on people's experiences.

Would be good to have a nice event in mind to keep me going training on the cold winter nights!

The main thing to remember is that if you start a thread on the race and it gets locked/deleted by a mod - avoid it.

Nuff said #Voldemort

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

this may help:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057025668

but, from my limited exposure this year, hell of the west gets the nod from me as well, definitely one on my radar for next year

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭aaronosiochain

If you're feeling really brave..

www.therace.ie

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

If you're feeling really brave..

www.therace.ie
    600 quid? Are they MAD???

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

Based on the criteria I would go with pgibbo's suggestion of Rosses Point.
    pgibbo wrote: »
    I'd have to agree with Hell of the West as it's a great race and a beautiful location. Mind you, Rosses Point is very nice too and worth considering.

Hell of the West is a great race, but more a war of attrition. If the wind is blowing, it can be hell on earth on the bike and that 5k uphill, 5k downhill 'run' is torture on the quads. Its not definable as 'enjoyable' but the party atmosphere in the town is great. Make a weekend out of it, if you can get in! Registration is a challenge in itself.

The only con with Rosses Point is the poxy beach run and up the slip. Hopefully that run route will revert back to the original in 2014.

Oryx wrote: »
    600 quid? Are they MAD???

but it's The Race

• Registered Users Posts: 3,653 ✭✭✭Enduro

mossym wrote: »
    but it's The Race

A load of overhyped overexpensive rubbish. The claims to be Ireland's toughest just make the organiser look like (1) teenagers boasting (2) liers

• Advertisement

Enduro wrote: »
    A load of overhyped overexpensive rubbish. The claims to be Ireland's toughest just make the organiser look like (1) teenagers boasting (2) liers
    What is the general cost of similar endurance races?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭MrCreosote

Or they could be (3)Telling the truth! Some event has to be the toughest after all.

Daft time of year to be holding it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭aaronosiochain

not for profit event. all proceeds to charity in fact

fair play to them if you ask me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

Yes but €600 entry, versus an IMRA hill race €7?

(seeing as the OP asked about Oly distance tri's and we're comparing apples and oranges)

Not for profit.

So after costs the rest goes to charity?

For alot of races the costs include huge payouts to organisers. (Not saying that this is the case here)

ahem, post 6...:(

ahem, post 6...:(
    Note to self. Must not speed read threads.

:P

Note to self. Must not speed read threads.

:P

a notable aspiration for a mod..:)

a notable aspiration for a mod..:)
    Not in TDAR I'm not!

• Advertisement

MrCreosote wrote: »
    Or they could be (3)Telling the truth! Some event has to be the toughest after all.

Daft time of year to be holding it though.

It isn't the toughest race in Ireland. It isn't the toughest one day race in Ireland. Hence my opinion of them. Hype merchants.

Examples of tougher races....
    (1) Race around Ireland (cycling)
    (2) Kerry Way Ultra (trail running)
    (3) Beast of Ballyhoura (a real AR)

Example of a tougher races which is definitely and exactly a one day race: Irish 24 hour running championships

What is the general cost of similar endurance races?

Bigger races, such as the Beast of Ballyhoura, would cost about 200 quid per person (for a 40 hour race)

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭kchsligo

My vote would have to go to HOTW, the challenge starts well before race day as you try to get registered.

Bigger races, such as the Beast of Ballyhoura, would cost about 200 quid per person (for a 40 hour race)

Ah but what is the t-shirt like?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭bryangiggsy

kchsligo wrote: »
    My vote would have to go to HOTW, the challenge starts well before race day as you try to get registered.

Never had an issue registering before and have done the race 3 times

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

kchsligo wrote: »

It's harder to get a goody bag than it is to register - for the last 2 years anyway :D

• Registered Users Posts: 42 TheCruiser

Cheers for the tips. Found some good footage of HOTW here, looks like some choppy water!

http://vimeo.com/69426668

Cheers for the tips. Found some good footage of HOTW here, looks like some choppy water!

http://vimeo.com/69426668

the first 20 seconds of that video illustrate perfectly why HOTW has been named as the pointing man's triathlon

side of my head makes an appearance in that, i was marshalling for it this year but going to be involved in a more fun way next year

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Diamond_25

hell of the west, well organised and scenic enough, bit of a pain in the arse to get to this one though

some here wont agree at all but i enjoy the following triathlons, i think the courses are decent although they are not that scenic:

triathy
    tri grand prix kilkenny

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭bopperr

HOTW is great... Lost sheep is equally as good if not better but double the distance basically

Advertisement