Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Airtricity Notice of Legal Proceedings

Options
  • 15-10-2013 10:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 30

So this is a bit of a long winded story but I'll try shorten it as much as possible..moved into a new apartment at end of august, old tenant had moved out at start of august and was with airtricity. I was doing exams when we got the lease so didnt move in till 4 September, I enquired about setting up an account with airtricity and was told I'd have to pay bill from date old tenant moved out until I forwarded lease to show date of move in. Wasn't too happy with that but they warned me that the apartment was due to be disconnected and it'd take ages to go with another supplier. They checked with credit control and said no one had called to disconnect it. Put me on hold for approx 15 Mins so I hung up and rang again, got a new operator and explained situation.

Stupidly I gave my account details and was then informed that actually someone had come to disconnect it and I'd be charged for that. Now the time he apparently came it was actually the only time I was in the apartment that first week. Its gated but the management company is there every day - they weren't contacted and no one rang the buzzer. Hence no disconnection but was still being charged. I said I didn't want to open an account and a supervisor recommended me to open it and I said no. I then hung up. 10 days later I got an e bill for 140 euro.

I wrote a letter advising I didn't confirm opening an account and cancelling direct debit. Spoke to airtricity again and operator confirmed direct debit was cancelled. Just got another bill saying that the direct debit will go out of my account in a few days. I got one call about it last week and as I was about to go into a meeting I asked for a call back, no call but a letter of legal proceedings. I also emailed the customer complaint section with a copy of the lease agreement showing date of move in and I got a reply saying the original call would be listened to. No response since.

Am I in the right or the wrong here? Almost forgot - we signed up with electric Ireland and gave them the meter readings the management company gave to us so we have never received electricity from airtricity. I have told airtricity this.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭emeldc

This is typical of Airtricity, each time you ring you get a different set of rules. I would treat them with the contempt they deserve and ignore them. You're with Electric Ireland now so happy days. By the sound of it you never had a contract with Airtricity anyway. If they get thick just ask for a copy.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Write letter to bank forbidding them paying atrocity by dd.

write a formal complaint to airtricity at the moment you are being dealt with by credit control, they just get money in.

If you deal with complaints and then the regulator you might have a better chance of a resolution.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭ElNino

You might be able to cancel the direct debit using your banking online. If not phone your bank to do it. You will be charged either way but it is still worth it for the peace of mind.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

eddie_1498 wrote: »
    ... but the management company is there every day - they weren't contacted
    ... gave them the meter readings the management company gave to us so we have never received electricity from airtricity. ...
    I think you mean managing agent as these are not roles a management company normally fulfils.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 eddie_1498

No i did mean management company, they are the types of things they do for the complex.

Anyway, thanks everyone for your advice, will definitly be contacting the regulator, copying all my letters to airtricity thus far!

• Advertisement
Advertisement