Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Live music venue is in Dublin

Options
  • 15-10-2013 10:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 38

Which do you think is the best live music venue in Dublin. Whelans has to be right up there?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭Viva La Gloria

used to genuinely love the Voodoo lounge.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,829 ✭✭✭Toast

seahorse61 wrote: »
    Which do you think is the best live music venue in Dublin. Whelans has to be right up there?

I saw And So I Watch You From Afar twice in the same night.. firstly in Whelans then in The Button Factory and the Button Factory sound quality and lighting was far superior. Dunno if I'd say Button Factory is the best venue but certainly wouldn't say Whelans.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭Soundman

Toast wrote: »
    I saw And So I Watch You From Afar twice in the same night.. firstly in Whelans then in The Button Factory and the Button Factory sound quality and lighting was far superior. Dunno if I'd say Button Factory is the best venue but certainly wouldn't say Whelans.

And note that ASIWYFA have their own sound engineer as well.

I'm biased as I work in one of Dublin's venues so I can't say what venue I prefer. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭Sinfonia

seahorse61 wrote: »

Love the size, never impressed with the sound :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

As long as you're on the ground floor its The Olympia for me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭martineatworld

Mainly it's because most of the gigs I go to are on there, but I'm rather taken with The Academy. It's a lovely size of a venue.

Olympia standing would be my other favourite.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,891 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

The Olympia. Great venue. The Button Factory would be my 2nd favourite.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

nm wrote: »
    As long as you're on the ground floor its The Olympia for me

I'm with you on this one.

I used to really like the Ambassador but I'm not sure if that's just nostalgia or whether it was genuinely a good venue.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭peterobrien100

For me personally

1. Button Factory

2. Vicar Street Standing

3. Academy Standing on Floor not rail surrounds

4. Sugar Club

5. National Concert Hall

I am basing my choices on vision and sound/
    Olympia has terrible sound problems and Whelans is impossible to see anything unless you are standing in front of the stage.

Thats my two cents worth anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 10,323 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Vicar Street standing. The sound quality is excellent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,147 ✭✭✭Passenger

The Button Factory is the best small venue in Dublin IMO. Superb sound and PA regardless of where you're situated, accessible layout (though the layout seems to have been reconfigured with the moving of the bar recently), it's accessible and clean. Just an all round good vibe from the place every time I attend a gig there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

Passenger wrote: »
    The Button Factory is the best small venue in Dublin IMO. Superb sound and PA regardless of where you're situated, accessible layout (though the layout seems to have been reconfigured with the moving of the bar recently)

When I was last there (while ago now) I remember thinking it was terrible cos you have that side door to the jacks which is up by the stage to the left. It created traffic through the middle of the ground floor which is brutal (The Village has this problem too).
    Have they changed that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,675 ✭✭✭HighClass

The Academy for me. It would be The Olympia but the fact they have pit passes is a bit stupid imo, no need for them in a venue that size.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 220 ✭✭L.A.D

I miss the Ambassador :(

Great gigs, great times

• Registered Users Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

I've been to a few in Fibbers, going to another tomorrow night. I've always liked it, even though its a bit tight for space.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,560 ✭✭✭Irish_rat

Mr.S wrote: »
    I must be the only one to hate The Olympia for gigs, the only time i've enjoyed myself there is when your in one of the boxes to the sides.

Nope I'm not a fan either, sound is really dodgy and I never get a real gig buzz there. Going to a few of my favourite bands there over the next few months so my opinion might change.

I can't comment on the others as I've never been yet, will be hitting vicar st and Whelans over the coming week so will give a better review at a later date.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭Uaru

Vicar Street by a mile. I also like the Button Factory and the Grand Social upstairs. I like Whelans but it's a disaster if it's a sold out show or if they decide to put seating out. The Academy is one of my least favorite venues along with Fibbers.

I haven't been to the Olympia in years but I remember it being decent enough.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 220 ✭✭L.A.D

The Pint on Eden Quay has a cracking sound, if youre into heavier stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭DC10555

I really love The Academy mainly due to it's cozy size.. I enjoyed the Olympia also but I think they need to let more people into the pit, the last time I was there they must have had like 50 people in it, but maybe that was just a once off or something, I guess' I'll find out tomorrow at MGMT! :)

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,371 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

NCH
    Vicar St

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭indiewindy

Best:

Vicar Street. Perfect sound and excellent seating or standing,no bar sounds!
    Grand social. Excellent sound engineer and great raised stage
    button factory. Excellent sound and great view from everywher in venue
    sugar club. great small venue, pity so few gigs held there
    Academy. great well designed venue, sound and sightlines and security all good

Whelans is terrible for sold out gigs as you can see a thing unless your in the front row. The olympia is in serious need of renovation, so little leg room in the circle and pillars blocking the view in some of the seats and the upper circle......
    Academy 2 and the village would be the two worst venues in Dublin

Advertisement