Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Off Topic Thread Part II Mod post in OP

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,303 ✭✭✭batistuta9

Oat23 wrote: »
    B teams from both sides too probably? Sickening really that the place will be packed to watch the kids from both clubs play.

Yeah, 17 or so missing from barca. Suarez is coming but I think nearly everyone else who was at the euros or copa america is still on holiday. It's on the rte site.
    & Celtic are playing CL qualifiers either side of it

Your man with the kid, would nearly be better off heading over to Barcelona some weekend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Vincent Vega

zerks wrote: »
    Premium tickets are €80 a pop.The cheaper family tickets were snapped up.

I clicked through to Ticketmaster about 20 mins ago just to see what the story was.
    At first it appeared that there were only €80 tickets in the South and upper South East Stands available.

I left the tab open and looking at it again now some €60 tickets have appeared in block 502 in the upper East Stand and block 528 in the upper West Stand.

So, might be worth checking back if you wanna save €20 :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Anyone taking part in the Fantasy Football this season,have a read of this thread.Sad news about the poster but he's positive and wants people to sign up for the MacMillan League and help fight cancer.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=100603165&postcount=95

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/member.php?u=49072

Zarquon:
    Hi all,

I came across this £5 entry prize league in aid of McMacmillan cancer support.

30% of the pot goes towards prizes and the rest to Macmillan but it is a worthy cause. For only a fiver i would even suggest to donate even if you don't enter the league as it's a small amount but cumulatively could make a difference in someone's life.

I post this with a purposeful and heavy heart though. A lot of newish members to this forum may not recognize me but for a while i was an avid poster on here. Unfortunately about 2 years ago i was diagnosed with a very aggressive terminal cancer. I was only expected to live a few months so it is quite miraculous i am still here. As such my contribution to this forum has dwindled to nothingness and is mostly conciled to history

The start of the season last year left me with a heavy conundrum. I was so used to picking a team and enjoying the start of the FPL season but the thought struck me - i probably won't be around for the end of the season! What was the actual point in even joining the game. I had decided to retire as the FPL adventure seemed redundant in it's importance to me and one i could not enjoy. I changed my mind at the last minute as i contemplated the great enjoyment the game brought me over the years. In a time of great difficulty, one should have as much release as possible and FPL was certainly one avenue of distraction, release and enjoyment for me so i endeavoured to play the game as per normal. Whilst most here set themselves lofty targets of top 10k, top 5k, top 1k finishes etc with gleeful thoughts of cleaning up in cash leagues - i had one simple target - to be alive for the 2016/17 season. With great difficulty i achieved that and imo that makes me the highest ranking winner here from last year - there is no greater prize than life.

So once again this year i set upon the same journey, to be here this time next year. Unfortunately my chronic medical issues means that i may never experience a "respectable" season as accepted by many around here as there were several weeks where i simply could not administer my team and times where it didn't even register with me as a necessity. When one is fighting for their life on a hospital bed, one does not go thinking about captaincy choices or last minute transfers. As such my team suffered greatly last year as i had my worst season ever but joyfully i still feel victorious as we kick off the new season. For those invested in leagues with me, i will never be any real competition going forward but my goals are different - to make it to 2017/18! As an act of faith i therefore find myself entering the game this year albeit with different but much more important targets than others.

I continue to play as the game brings enjoyment and helps pass the time. Additionally, this forum and it's many wonderful contributors help bring an extra dimension to the game and thus extra enjoyment to my life and for that i am forever thankful. I may not contribute much anymore but i read this forum whenever i can and look forward to the inciteful contributions offered up by the many great players around here.

I could go on but i think i've said enough for now, feel free to take my cash league money - I'm just looking for banter, entertainment and good competition

Once again though, this is something very close to my heart so please do consider joining the league below. If you have no space for it in your allocation then just throw in the fiver as it's only a small amount. If i win anything this year i intend to donate it to local cancer charities anyway as thanks for the wonderful work that so many of them do in the lives of people like me.

https://twitter.com/MacmillanFFL/status/759802132467855361

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

I don't know where else to put this so here is as good as anywhere else.

Any feedback on the feedback thread?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Flint Fredstone

I don't know where else to put this so here is as good as anywhere else.

Any feedback on the feedback thread?

What is it you're waiting to hear about? As far as I remember it was just one guy whinging about the humour thread and the rest seem to think the forum is running fairly grand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 262 ✭✭RJF

Anyone interested in playing in a game of 6 a side football at Leisureworld, Bishopstown, Cork.
    We are looking for new players for games at 6.30 on Tuesdays and 6.15 on Fridays.

First game free if you want to try it out.

Reply here or PM me if you want.

Couple of places available for game today at 6.30.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,954 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Was anyone else following the Samir Nasri debacle on Twitter over the past few hours?

Mars Bar wrote: »
    Was anyone else following the Samir Nasri debacle on Twitter over the past few hours?

No but I've seen it now. It's like footballers don't realise the rest of the world can see what they have typed.

He'll surely be in a spot of bother after that.

https://twitter.com/tezzah14/status/813897374447915012

Actually reading a bit more that's not in that video, he probably was hacked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,432 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

He needs some advise on strong password

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,147 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Eamon Dunphy was on GameOn and had this to say about Guardiola.

"The year before he went to Munich they won the treble, including the Champions League, with Jupp Heynckes."

"This guy has a fan club, and he's talked of as a guru. But what they're doing now, there's one or two, I'm reluctant to name them, but one guy in particular, who's crazy about him, and he's gone quiet.

"He hasn't written about him in five-weeks. Because, it is becoming clear that he (Guardiola) is a fraud."

The first person I thought of was AIG, and then my next thought was "WOW - Dunphy reads the Boards Soccer Forum :eek:"

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

Quazzie wrote: »
    Eamon Dunphy was on GameOn and had this to say about Guardiola.

The first person I thought of was AIG, and then my next thought was "WOW - Dunphy reads the Boards Soccer Forum :eek:"

I'd have no problem having a frank debate about Guardiola with Dunphy, though think for a moment how ridiculous a situation Irish football coverage is in when I, an unpaid non-football man, could easily out-debate and show up what is probably RTE's highest paid football pundit on such a big football topic as Guardiola. It's embarrassing.

In reality though I'm certain he's talking about Ken Early.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,853 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Wow, even in the off topic thread!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 61,007 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Beckham getting a bit of roasting in the media at the moment the shine starting to come of his golden imagine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,065 ✭✭✭✭eh i dunno

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭deadybai

Supports clubs -

Hi all, following football all my life and never even though of joining a supporters club. I have no idea what they are about which is probably why. Whats the point behind them? Thanks

deadybai wrote: »
    Supports clubs -

Hi all, following football all my life and never even though of joining a supporters club. I have no idea what they are about which is probably why. Whats the point behind them? Thanks

They usually meet up in a pub or function room every so often. Organise trips to games and stuff like that.

I've never been a part of one but I once strolled into the local Liverpool supporters club Christmas party in my United jersey, full as an egg.

Sound lads, had a great bit of craic and slagging with them. Not like the type you mostly get on here :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,273 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

Does anyone know, how do they work out estimates for injuries?

I just saw Aleix Vidal is going to be out for approximately five months after he broke his ankle - does anyone know how they can be so exact about it?

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 78,282 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Does anyone know, how do they work out estimates for injuries?

I just saw Aleix Vidal is going to be out for approximately five months after he broke his ankle - does anyone know how they can be so exact about it?
    They can't be exact, although they will base their estimate on similar injuries in the past. Maybe he'll be back in 4 months, maybe 6. Equally if he has a much better than average recovery he could be out of plaster in 6 weeks and back playing maybe another couple of months later. A complication or setback in training could make it drag on

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 78,282 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

deadybai wrote: »
    Supports clubs -

I spent my university life in Manchester and didn't need to join a branch of United's supporters club. I moved to Leeds and joined the local supporters club as they ran coaches to all matches (home & away) and had priority on ticket allocation (this was the mid 1980s and things have changed since)

To some extent they are a bit of a relic of those days - pretty much everyone is a member if they want to get tickets (at United certainly) and I presume there's no longer a preference on ticket allocations

Something to record tonight on BBC2: Russia's Hooligan Army.

They are promising "a festival of violence" in 2018.I think many fans will be giving Russia a miss next year.

Who ate all the pies?

Wayne Shaw

Now regretting his "inappropriate gamble" last night...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

I can't see any twitter links on Humour thread when on the office computer :(

Wish people would copy the images and paste them up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭diusmr8a504cvk

Is there a photo thread on the Soccer forum or am I just failing to see it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

It's called the Humour Thread. Here it is

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056789224

• Registered Users Posts: 5,382 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

Omackeral wrote: »
    I can't see any twitter links on Humour thread when on the office computer :(

Wish people would copy the images and paste them up.

I just wish they'd do this to make the thread easy to read. When I go on I'm confronted by an entire page of links and I just give up.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056000837&page=32

Hasn't seen much use of late, was a great thread

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭Sheepy99

Do vodafone really think that people are going to come to boards.ie in order to find out info on the upcoming body&soul festival? - Yeeesh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,478 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

I'm sure a lot of us watched the excellent John Giles documentary on RTE1 last night. If you missed it, it's well worth a watch and is now available on the RTE Player.

https://www.rte.ie/player/ie/show/giles-30004748/10746571/

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Not something worthy of a thread but it's a bit unusual. I'm.currently studying for a degree in French and German and I was wondering if there was any role for someone like that in Irish football, even in a voluntary capacity?

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,056 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Lad in work keeps referring to the Aubameyang as Odemwinge!
    Yeah I dont think Arsenal were in for him although he might turn up at The Emirates looking to force a transfer!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭VW 1

GBX wrote: »
    Lad in work keeps referring to the Aubameyang as Odemwinge!
    Yeah I dont think Arsenal were in for him although he might turn up at The Emirates looking to force a transfer!

I've got an obiang, sure he's out injured for West ham, no point signing him!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Vincent Vega

Does anybody know if there is a site that lets you overlay different club's pitches so as to compare their sizes?

Something like The True Size Of... would be great.

Would be a nice reference to have at hand to see how a teams style of play adapts to specific grounds.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭Will I Am Not

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,853 ✭✭✭Cake Man

So I’m putting together a sweepstake thing in work for the World Cup, basically people pay a small amount to pick out a country randomly from a hat and if their team goes on to win, get runners up or third place they’ll get a cash prize back.

Any other similar competition that would work? I’m thinking of maybe getting people to choose say any 3 players and combine their goals total in the WC, person who has highest goal amount wins. Not sure what to do for a tiebreaker though. Bear in mind most people I work with don’t have much interest so no point getting them to do anything that involves requiring much knowledge of soccer. Any other suggestions?

Would probably be a good time to get the feedback thread going?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

What a load of bollix

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,106 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

What a load of bollix

What is?

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

What is?

Bulmers light, had a free bottle there about 3 this morning. Still wouldn't drink it, absolute piss.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,161 ✭✭✭dinneenp

WTF, €38 for a pair of Real Madrid shorts!? link

History channel have a rake of football documentaries on them at the minute. Some good ones there

Just watching state of origin and it’s some spectacle of skill and athleticism.

Every professional soccer player should be made to watch it and hang their heads in shame.

• Advertisement

Collymore making an eejit of himself again on Twitter.

https://twitter.com/stancollymore/status/1005817624348053509?s=21

Very immature but I did laugh at the name of the barber's.

https://youtu.be/JuqEdr-lrDQ

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭cavedave

How to win the Premiership. I did some analysis on results tables and entirely surprisingly winning games and scoring goals helps.

1. Win games
    YhpEBii.png

2. Drawing Games doesn't help much
    J0v4GWg.png

3. You want to score goals
    Txrsw6y.png

4. Try stop goals being scoced against you. But scoring goals is more important.
    GmUYseC.png

Soccer Sheep

Follow this thread and submit an entry

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057992216

Essentially guess all the top answers and win first place

• Advertisement
Advertisement