Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Formal Education??

Options
  • 15-10-2013 11:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭

Hi guys, I need to know what constitutes as formal education, or to be more specific is a Fetac Level 5 PLC considered formal education? I've applied for BTEA and have been rejected on the basis that i did a PLC last year. One of the conditions is that you must be out of formal education for at least two years, which i am besides the PLC i did. I found this and a few other things that weren't really that helpful http://www.careersportal.ie/ed_training/index.php

No matter what i say there's no reasoning with the girl i'm dealing with in the social, according to her a PLC is formal education, end of story but this is the same girl who tried to tell me a PLC is an undergraduate course when i tried to apply last year. I have friends who have been in simular situations with BTEA who without a dout qualified but were still refused and had to get a local politition to fight tooth and nail for them to get it, as i've been advised to do. So basically is a PLC formal education?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

I think it is on the basis that it is certified by FETAC - I think but I could be totally wrong that formal means something that is certified under QQI whereas informal would be night classes with no certification.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

This seems to define plcs as formal

http://www.aontas.com/information/howtogetinvolved.html

Maybe ring Aontas and ask them?

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Forfas report 2003

Formal education refers to regular education through schools, colleges and universities.

Non-formal education refers to organised learning activities through school, colleges or universities.

Informal education refers to non-taught learning, including self-learning with the purpose of improving skills or knowledge

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭paperclip2

The DSP may not be using the Forfas definitions though. I know Youthreach courses are considered non formal but PLC's may be. I'd check with BTEA in Carrick on Shannon for their definitive definition of formal ed.
    Tel:(071) 967 2616
    Locall:1890 927 999

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭MouseTail

PLCs are definitely formal education. They are structured, accredited courses.

• Advertisement
Advertisement