Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help needed!!!

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭info13

also he says the bank is close to taking the house off him now and if we cant arrange to pay him the bank will look for the money from us this does not make sense to me also??

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

info13 wrote: »
    so basically if he does not accept the offer what to do then??

Nothing, really. If he doesnt accept the offer then its up to him to take a case against you with the PRTB and let them sort it out. If that happens, and you are serious about paying him back, then Id suggest putting the €250 a month aside, and when it comes to the PRTB hearing (which could be months, maybe a year or more, away) bring the lump sum with you to hand over at that point.

There really isnt any more that you can do at this point; the ball is in the landlord court now.

also he says the bank is close to taking the house off him now and if we cant arrange to pay him the bank will look for the money from us this does not make sense to me also??

The bank will have to go through the same procedure that he would have to; they dont have any more power to demand the full amount up front than he has.

but if he is not registered with the PRTB how will this work?? i am better just to go to them myself?? i do want to pay back the money and wont leave him with it but i cant give any more at the moment

Again I ask, why would you want to go to the PRTB yourself? Its the landlord who has the case to take to them, not you. If you make an offer and he turns it down then the only course of action he has is to pursue you through the PRTB; no other court will entertain him without a PRTB judgement. If he doesnt want to go through the PRTB then that is his own business; he can then either accept your offer of a payment plan or walk away from the money.

Him not being PRTB registered means virtually nothing; chances are if he wants to take a case against you all he will be asked to do is pay whatever arrears he owes the PRTB to register the tenancy first. There is a slim chance that he might face a fine for non-registration but its highly unlikely unless he is a serial offender.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

djimi wrote: »
    Again I ask, why would you want to go to the PRTB yourself? Its the landlord who has the case to take to them, not you. If you make an offer and he turns it down then the only course of action he has is to pursue you through the PRTB; no other court will entertain him without a PRTB judgement. If he doesnt want to go through the PRTB then that is his own business; he can then either accept your offer of a payment plan or walk away from the money.

Him not being PRTB registered means virtually nothing; chances are if he wants to take a case against you all he will be asked to do is pay whatever arrears he owes the PRTB to register the tenancy first. There is a slim chance that he might face a fine for non-registration but its highly unlikely unless he is a serial offender.

I think that the OP is hoping for some reason that he would get some sort of settlement out of them that would mean he wouldn't have to pay back the full amount.

i will say again i want to pay back the amount in full but cant afford to offer more than that

i will say again i want to pay back the amount in full but cant afford to offer more than that

Why do you keep going on about bringing the LL to the PTRB then?

im asking whats best for me to do then

im asking whats best for me to do then

At this point, nothing. Youve made your offer, the ball is now in his court. Either he accepts it, or he takes a case against you with the PRTB. Nothing more that you can do at this stage.

• Advertisement

okay ill see how it goes then im sure a eviction letter will be on its way soon also...

At any point has he issued you with a 14 day notice of arrears?

no not as of yet

what if he sold it to a debt collector what then?

Lots of ifs and buts. Wait and see how it plays out. Put aside the 250e each month while you await a solution/resolution.

what if he sold it to a debt collector what then?

It was mentioned earlier in this thread. I dont think that the debt could be sold to a debt collector; there is a legal process that must be followed for the landlord to recover this debt, and if they dont follow it then they could well end up in hot water should you take a case against them.

In terms of the eviction notice, I sort of took it as a given that you wouldnt be remaining in the property. Given the arrears that are due, the landlord can issue you with a 14 day notice of arrears, after which time if the arrears arent cleared in full they can issue a 28 day notice of termination. Im not entirely sure what the story is if you have entered into an agreement to pay off the arrears in installments, it might be worth contacting Threshold and discussing that with them, but seeing as how the landlord hasnt agreed to that yet then I dont think they have to hold off on issuing the notice of arrears.

well the offer of the 250 was additional to the rent we already pay and to stay in the house also he agreed to let us stay and pay normal rent plus extra but is looking for too much extra that we dont have right now i have also explained im looking for evening work and will be hoping to pay more after xmas but thats all i can do for now i guess....

have not heard of or seen the landlord in the last 3weeks almost so at the moment still paying the normal rate per week.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭cerastes

have not heard of or seen the landlord in the last 3weeks almost so at the moment still paying the normal rate per week.....

Isn't that what you did before???

• Registered Users Posts: 22,655 ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

cerastes wrote: »
    Isn't that what you did before???

Was just going to say the same thing - isn't that what got you into this hole in the first place?

OP, learn from your mistakes the first time round. You say that you can afford a certain amount extra, so start paying the man. Chances are if he sees money coming in, it might soften things a bit.

• Advertisement

this has still not been fully settled we are paying extra every week what we can afford and sometimes more he says if not more he will have to give us notice.. what way will that work??

also he says he will need to take a injunction against us to make sure he gets all his money?? does not make sense all to me should he not have to go through prtb or what type of court if any??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭odds_on

yeah we pay weekly and a few payments which we have missed maybe also on top of that. what if we just have to move out can he come after us for the arrears?? not sure why he let it go on so long without seen it as alot the payments were genuine missed from us.
    Not sure why you didn't pay your rent as it became due.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

this has still not been fully settled we are paying extra every week what we can afford and sometimes more he says if not more he will have to give us notice.. what way will that work??

also he says he will need to take a injunction against us to make sure he gets all his money?? does not make sense all to me should he not have to go through prtb or what type of court if any??

What were you expecting a metal for not honouring your contract. You owe the money. It was you who decided not to pay. He entitled to set demands. But on the other side if you can provide proof you genuinely dont have the cash he should just go with what he can get.

He sounds like he needs to make up his mind and act; either he is happy to accept a payment plan to clear arrears or he isnt. As things stand, he is quite within his rights to issue notice of arrears and ultimately a termination notice, but he needs to just be decisive and do it rather than dancing around the issue.

Mr Topper wrote: »
    Can you not take a bit of responsibility here ?

I'm trying to sort something out with him and offer more one day it's fine next it's not I'm not trying to leave him with the bill

I'll make a deal with him no problem and don't have a problem paying back the money as I do owe it, if I wanted to be smart id be long time gone from there already.

As I said before the arrears built up over the years as we were paying by 12 month not by 52 weeks that's where the error came into it plus the amount is less than originally thought.

Also looking for another part time job to get extra funds. We are still paying the original amount "by week" putting money aside until he makes up his mind...

Advertisement