Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Luck of the Irish causing STDs :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,518 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

It's those filthy Kiwi women Joe, it's terrible, always wanting the sex with us ruggedly handsome Irish blokes.

See AH as well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,011 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Question: does the sex education provided in Irish schools include "how to use a condom"?

If not, then I think I know where the problem lies ...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

Question: does the sex education provided in Irish schools include "how to use a condom"?

What's that supposed to mean?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,172 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

It takes two to tango and all that!

In my experience the Kiwi women are riddled.

• Advertisement

FearDark wrote: »
    What's that supposed to mean?

It means exactly that if you don't know how to use appropriate protection, and you don't do so, then it's your fault if you catch something. Simples.

From the other side, if you don't insist that the man uses protection, and check that he does so properly, then ditto.

I don't know about the sex-ed curriculum in Ireland ... but I'm taking a wild guess that it might be slighly deficient in this respect.

It means exactly that if you don't know how to use appropriate protection, and you don't do so, then it's your fault if you catch something. Simples.

From the other side, if you don't insist that the man uses protection, and check that he does so properly, then ditto.

I don't know about the sex-ed curriculum in Ireland ... but I'm taking a wild guess that it might be slighly deficient in this respect.

Do you honestly believe that awfully written article? Your posts stink of ignorance tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

Do you honestly believe that awfully written article? Your posts stink of ignorance tbh.
    Despite the misleading headline they went with, the underling issue is that (evidently) Kiwi women have a higher chance of carrying STD's than average in the First or "Western World". This has been in the media many times before this (and associated with the high number of partners per female and lack of protection) and Im stating this from a purely statistical perspective.

The only reason this is coming up on Irish forums is the stupid headline, but the core problem here is not an Irish one (any foreign nationality could be substituted).. though the mind boggles on why neither party is insisting on protection. Or why the headline was chosen at all as she later admitted it had little relevance, just Irish somehow was the only readily available data set from the Clinics.

Deficient compared to who!? Think you might not realise the extent of this problem in NZ, its not Irish sex-ed you should be calling into question!? Granted Johnny Foreigner is more the fool for catching it, but maybe you havent looked into the figures... they are pretty eye opening
    http://www.bpac.org.nz/resources/handbook/sti/sti.asp
    Regional chlamydia rates in New Zealand are two to three times higher than national chlamydia rates in Australia, the UK and the US.
    Regional gonorrhoea rates in New Zealand are three to four times higher than national gonorrhoea rates in Australia and the UK, but considerably less than in the US.
    Chlamydia trachomatis is the most common STI in New Zealand and rates are increasing. Chlamydia is asymptomatic in approximately 70%–90% of females and up to 73% of males (Ministry of Health. Draft Chlamydia Management Guidelines, 2008).
    "asymptomatic" = carrier with no symptoms.

In the time I spent in NZ never in my life have I heard as many lads catching Chlamydia as I did, it was literally 10 guys out of 12 I went over there with, its absolutely off the scale. I just think the article absolute rubbish, the problem isn't the Irish, look at yourselves first.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭pclancy

Hahahahaha good one, you obviously havent been a single person in NZ in a while, the level of general knowledge about STIs here is pretty poor and you've got to make a point in my experience of suggesting you both be careful...

I shared the link to highlight what utter bollocks it was, not expecting someone to think it was actually an advisory message for Irish builders to get better up to speed on STIs, the Press even apologized to the Irish in the next issue of the paper and admitted any nationality would see the same stats increase....The Christchurch Irish Soc pointed out the clearly obvious link that there are many Irish here working on the buildings so of course the STI clinics are seeing a proportional increase in Irish visiting, just the same as there are more Chinese and Phillipeno workers here for the rebuild too.

• Advertisement

Do boys get taught how to use condoms in school in Ireland, yes or no?

If they were taking precautions then the STD rate would be negligible no mater what the population incidence of the disease is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 996 ✭✭✭HansHolzel

In the time I spent in NZ never in my life have I heard as many lads catching Chlamydia as I did...

Is the article riddled... with inaccuracies?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭pclancy

Do boys get taught how to use condoms in school in Ireland, yes or no?

If they were taking precautions then the STD rate would be negligible no mater what the population incidence of the disease is.

They do, I'll never forget laughing my way through watching a very nervous and embarrassed science teacher demonstrate how to put one on a banana :)

Then the religious teacher made the point that "of course we werent going to try any of that stuff until we were married" :)

Lets hope Len Brown was wearing a condom...he seems to have got around.

Of course, however its equally true to say that if the population incidence of STI's was low then the disease wouldnt be spreading so rapidly or the article even exist.

Lets not forgot you are the one that brought up Irish sex-ed, which obviously is going to rile people up (not least as this is an Irish forum) but because there is clearly an even greater failing in NZ, a sore point you have avoid repeatedly.

Why are STIs so characteristically (by Western standards) common in NZ in your opinion?

Matt Simis wrote: »
    Of course, however its equally true to say that if the population incidence of STI's was low then the disease wouldnt be spreading so rapidly or the article even exist.

Lets not forgot you are the one that brought up Irish sex-ed, which obviously is going to rile people up (not least as this is an Irish forum) but because there is clearly an even greater failing in NZ, a sore point you have avoid repeatedly.

Why are STIs so characteristically (by Western standards) common in NZ in your opinion?

I have no idea why STIs are (allegedly) more common in NZ.

You don't need a high population incidence to have an increasing rate of infections - you just need a high incidence among the people who are having unprotected sex with multiple people.

I have no idea why STIs are (allegedly) more common in NZ.
    Nothing alleged about it, thats NZ Government statistics, health service stats, Global health monitoring Org stats, unless you are suggesting they are all wrong..? And what do you mean you have no idea.. you post the exact reason in the next sentence! There is nothing mysterious about it.
    You don't need a high population incidence to have an increasing rate of infections - you just need a high incidence among the people who are having unprotected sex with multiple people.

One and the same, the "high incidence factor" is native Kiwi's (which is why the :rolleyes: at your kneejerk Irish education snipe), you know, the vast majority of the population.. a bunch of your countrymen and women actually brought it up on Friday, due to the article. They initially read it as an Irish thing based on the BS headline but they read the article, did their research and were somewhat shocked but accepting of the STI rate here.

But at least the semi-racist nature of the article might get the STI issue here the publicity it needs among the local pop..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,427 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

I don't know how to feel about this-either disgusted by the high rates of STI or delighted by the possible fact that women are hornier in NZ.

(about 60-40 disgusted I think)

corcaigh07 wrote: »
    I don't know how to feel about this-either disgusted by the high rates of STI or delighted by the possible fact that women are hornier in NZ.

(about 60-40 disgusted I think)
    To think there is even an appropiate Futurama meme for this too!
    DoEh0.gifdeath-by-snu-snu-76d75654-5ab6-4807-98f1-4ed1f668daa6.jpg

Advertisement