Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gaeilge translation

Options
  • 16-10-2013 4:39am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Is anyone able to translate the following sentence from Irish to English?

"Creideann an SDLP gur cheart dá gcuirfí an tAcht i bhfeidhm thall i Westminster sa dóigh is go mbeadh cumhachtaí ar leith a bhaineann le Westminster, faoi údarás an Achta, mar shampla cúrsaí craolcháin."

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Translated into English;

"The SDLP believes that if the Act applied over in Westminster so that special powers of Westminster, under the Act, such as craolcháin courses".
    ====================================================================================================

SDLP Irish language act.

Below are targets of the SDLP:

*The SDLP supports the Irish Language Act is comprehensive, based on a rights-oriented approach and made the official language of the Irish and confer valuable rights of speakers of the language in various fields - political institutions, local government, the justice system, education, including media.
    *The SDLP believes that if the Act applied over in Westminster so that special powers of Westminster, under the Act, such as craolcháin courses.
    *Building on the commitments made to the IME in the Good Friday Agreement ten years through development fund be established to ensure IME:

http://translate.google.co.uk/translate?hl=en&sl=ga&u=http://www.sdlp.ie/index.php/the_issues/irish_language/&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dc%25C3%25BArsa%25C3%25AD%2Bcraolch%25C3%25A1in%26biw%3D1280%26bih%3D637

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,892 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

LordSutch wrote: »
    Translated into English;

"The SDLP believes that if the Act applied over in Westminster so that special powers of Westminster, under the Act, such as craolcháin courses".

Close, but not quite. Google Translate is still a very poor tool. It doesn't really work on full sentences or recognise words that are mis-spelt.

Craolachán, I'm sure, is missing a letter. It means "broadcasting".

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭An gal gréine

adc88 wrote: »
    Is anyone able to translate the following sentence from Irish to English?

"Creideann an SDLP gur cheart dá gcuirfí an tAcht i bhfeidhm thall i Westminster sa dóigh is go mbeadh cumhachtaí ar leith a bhaineann le Westminster, faoi údarás an Achta, mar shampla cúrsaí craolcháin."

I think that instead of the word "dá" it should be "go".
    The SDLP believes that the Act should be ...
    In fact the sentence seems incomplete in Irish.

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭Maidhci

I think that instead of the word "dá" it should be "go".
    The SDLP believes that the Act should be ...
    In fact the sentence seems incomplete in Irish.

Agree that it should be 'go' as opposed to 'dá' - I also think the sentence is incomplete?

Advertisement