Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

neighbour with no planning in westmeath

Options
  • 16-10-2013 9:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 1

In the last two years our neighbour has -joined together an open shed and horse stables to form a large working garage with panel beating and sand blasting facilities and including an enclosed spray room.
    -built a sunroom onto the front of his house
    -bored holes through an existing wall letting water run off into our garden
    -built a wall between our properties that is over 4 metres high on our side
    and now is in the process of constructing a large building onto this wall for unknown purposes.
    The new build is the last straw as the majority of the roof slope is on our side so the run off will be going into our garden !
    when approached about this he became abusive to us and is now challenging us on the road with his son

Should we report him to the council about having no planning for any of these structures and report him to the guards for intimidation.
    We live in rural westmeath
    Any advice will be gratefully received
    thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭marob1969

I would be inclined to let the authorities (the council) handle this. That 4m high wall sounds like a danger/safety hazard to me. That being said, I haven’t seen it. I don't envy you on this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 NetDabbler

From the description of your neighbour's activities it definitely sounds like he's in breach of many planning regulations.

I had to make a complaint to the council about unplanned work behind my house but they told me I couldn't complain until a planning application had been made! The council should ask you neighbour for an application and then you have several weeks during which you can comment on the application. You'll then discover how the Planning Act favours those with friends in high places. If there is even the slightest hint of controversy over the application, the assigned planner will pass it to the local council to vote on.

You can see planning applications online at http://www.westmeathcoco.ie/en/ourservices/planning/planningapplications/#d.en.7461

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭codie

NetDabbler wrote: »
    From the description of your neighbour's activities it definitely sounds like he's in breach of many planning regulations.

I had to make a complaint to the council about unplanned work behind my house but they told me I couldn't complain until a planning application had been made! The council should ask you neighbour for an application and then you have several weeks during which you can comment on the application. You'll then discover how the Planning Act favours those with friends in high places. If there is even the slightest hint of controversy over the application, the assigned planner will pass it to the local council to vote on.

You can see planning applications online at http://www.westmeathcoco.ie/en/ourservices/planning/planningapplications/#d.en.7461

That doesn't seem right.There is a special form to report unplanned work.Go to your county council and ask or give them a ring.I cant think of the name of it at the minute.But if I were you go and report.If the buildings are there 5 years or more then you won't be able to do anything about it

If he is running a business there the rates department might be interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭CRenegade

Its called a planning enforcement complaint form, possibly located on their website. The planning and environment act allows for council to enforce unauthorised development resulting in court if they bring it far enough. Fill out the form and send it in. Dont forget to ensure receipt, and follow up. Another option is to employ a planning consultant to handle the case, did plenty of this when i worked as a planner in ireland (now in Oz)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,212 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

NetDabbler wrote: »

I had to make a complaint to the council about unplanned work behind my house but they told me I couldn't complain until a planning application had been made!

You were given wrong information unfortunately, you can make a complaint any time.
    The complaint form is found here
    More imfomation on planning / enforcement can be found here or here

The council wouldn't be too please to hear of commercial developments in rural areas. As for the stables - if he has a farm then they could well fall under exempted development.

If you need any info just drop us a pm as i'm familiar with planning & building regulations.

Advertisement