Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pair of boots not up to scratch

Options
  • 16-10-2013 9:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I got a pair of reasonably expensive boots as a present recently, wore them for two days and encountered some rain. Unfortunately both feet got wet at the toes which really annoyed me. Two days later I was about to go to work and noticed the sole had come away from the toe slightly. So I got 3 days' wear before I had to bring back.

Assistant was only going to take one (!) boot back until I insisted both be looked at and repaired, the sole only appeared to be dodgy on one, but both had let in water. Got both back on Saturday, and now I'm spending a day in work with one wet foot (the boot that needed the repair is the one letting in). I'm obviously not happy and want to exchange them for a new pair if I can. However, am I better off getting a refund? Bear in mind it was a present and I dont want the person out of pocket for a dodgy pair of shoes.

Is it ok to go down the route of repair->exhange->refund if I'm still not happy? An alternative is I could leave them to a proper repair shop to see if they can do a better job, but then my guarantee might be affected.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

They carried out a repair, it is now their choice between refund or replace. Get straight back to them but do not countenance another repair.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭stinkle

Great thanks! If I get a replacement and they too are faulty can I get refunded then?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭emeldc

stinkle wrote: »
    Great thanks! If I get a replacement and they too are faulty can I get refunded then?

Don't know, but the replacement wont be waterproof either because leather just isn't waterproof!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭stinkle

I know that, it's not the waterproof factor that I have a problem with - only one boot leaked today however, and it was the one whose sole was falling away after 3 days' wear. The wet bit is right where the sole meets the toe, rain seems to have seeped in. The subsequent "repair" just seems to have been to lash a bit of glue on it, which obviously isn't good enough. I'm not going hillwalking or wading in them, just trying to walk 15 mins into work on a typical Irish wet day.

Advertisement