Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need Advise, should I report the scrapped vehicle?

Options
  • 16-10-2013 10:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 34

yesterday I received a letter from Dept of Transport, it was sent to my friends address where I lived ages ago. My friend only gave me yesterday..
    the date of this letter notice was 27th August 2013.

Basically I had a old car about 7 years ago and it was damaged in an accident in 2006. i left it at the front yard and one day a guy came by ask if he can buy the car for parts and he said he will scrap the car after, i sold him the car but never bother to transfer the ownership, he didn't bother to ask either.

now i have a problem, Dept of Transport sent the notice to me to check the status of this car. it is still registered as my name and my old address, i want to tell them that the car has been sold for parts and probably scapped as well.
    however i am afraid they will ask me to pay for the motor tax for the past 7 years as i stopped renewing the motor tax when the car was damaged.

on the letter it says, i must notify them before 30th Sep 2013 othwise i will be liable for arrears back to the last motor tax expiry date...

what should i do?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,710 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

tekkenman wrote: »
    yesterday I received a letter from Dept of Transport, it was sent to my friends address where I lived ages ago. My friend only gave me yesterday..
    the date of this letter notice was 27th August 2013.

Basically I had a old car about 7 years ago and it was damaged in an accident in 2006. i left it at the front yard and one day a guy came by ask if he can buy the car for parts and he said he will scrap the car after, i sold him the car but never bother to transfer the ownership, he didn't bother to ask either.

now i have a problem, Dept of Transport sent the notice to me to check the status of this car. it is still registered as my name and my old address, i want to tell them that the car has been sold for parts and probably scapped as well.
    however i am afraid they will ask me to pay for the motor tax for the past 7 years as i stopped renewing the motor tax when the car was damaged.

on the letter it says, i must notify them before 30th Sep 2013 othwise i will be liable for arrears back to the last motor tax expiry date...

what should i do?

Report it, just say that the letter was sent to the wrong address. I was asked about a car from 10 years ago which I scrapped and they were looking for tax book which I didn't have. They have not wrote back in a few weeks looking for money anyway and if they do they won't get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Eugene Yes

tekkenman wrote: »
    yesterday I received a letter from Dept of Transport............................................................................on the letter it says, i must notify them before 30th Sep 2013 othwise i will be liable for arrears back to the last motor tax expiry date...

what should i do?

You will only have to pay arrears if you want to tax the car again. That's not gonna happen. Just notify them its scrapped.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

notify them it's sold...you need a cert of destruction if it's scrapped and you don't know it has been.

Advertisement