Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recipe for McCloskeys Cottage Brown?

Options
  • 16-10-2013 11:11am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 717 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I've lots of love right now for the sliced McCloskeys cottage brown.
    It's got good flavour but is also moist inside.

I've searched online for a recipe that resembles it, but haven't found anything that I would deem to be similar.

does anyone have a recipe that would come close to this?
    or has anyone a recipe that would result in a moist brown?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭nicol

Never had that bread but here is a recipe that I use regularly and it's delicious and moist.

Dry ingredients:
    227g plain flour
    227g wholmeal flour
    1 heaped tsp bread soda
    pinch salt
    2 tbs demerara sugar (maybe less to taste)

Wet ingredients:
    3/4 pint buttermilk
    1 egg
    2 tbs olive oil

Instructions:
    Pre-heat oven to 170-180c (depending on how hot your oven is).

Sieve plain flour and add remaining dry ingredients into a bowl and mix well.

Put wet ingredients into a jug / bowl and mix well to ensure egg is well incorporated into the butter milk.

Make a well in the dry ingredients and add the wet ingredients. Stir to combine. The mixture is quite wet compared to traditional bread recipes, don't worry, it's supposed to be.

Pour mixture into a greased and floured 2lb loaf tin and place into the oven for 1hr 10 minutes. Remove from oven and allow it to sit in the tin for 5-10 minutes, then remove carefully and leave to cool on a wire rack.

I usually throw a load of seeds (sunflower, pumpkin and sesame) as well as porridge oats on top before placing into the oven, the seeds take on a lovely nutty flavour when cooked.

Trhy it out, it takes 10 minutes tops to prepare and is definitely worth it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 717 ✭✭✭rubberdiddies

thanks. that looks good. i'll give that a go :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 717 ✭✭✭rubberdiddies

well i made that today as per your recipe except I put in all wholemeal flour and it is very very tasty.

Definitely a keeper!

Thank you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭nicol

Glad you enjoyed it!

Advertisement