Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I'm no wimp - I'm Simply the Best

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Fian

dreamerb wrote: »
    Looked out rear window this morning just as the clouds opened in a briefly torrential precursor to this morning's steady rain: thought "Feck it, wimp list for me". Looked out front window to see traffic backed up past my house and just inching along: cycled.

Not looking forward to the cycle home but it's still by far the least-worst option.

I should probably get proper rain gear to mitigate these wimpish tendencies. :o

no wet gear, better off with cycling tights this weather: so you get wet but not cold and not sweaty.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

RobFowl wrote: »
    It was wet, at stages could hardly see, esp when heading into the headwind in a squall...

Try doing that at 6am!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭aFlabbyPanda

Fian wrote: »
    no wet gear, better off with cycling tights this weather: so you get wet but not cold and not sweaty.

I've an old pair of waterproofs that I cut off at knees and wear over the tights. Keeps the chamois & thighs dry without overheating.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭MB Lacey

The_Sub wrote: »
    I've an old pair of waterproofs that I cut off at knees and wear over the tights. Keeps the chamois & thighs dry without overheating.

That is a very good idea. I might try that myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Pigeon Reaper

Rain stopped for the cycle home. :)

• Advertisement

Bloody hell it was cold cycling in this morning. Hit by hail on the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Seweryn

Bloody hell it was cold cycling in this morning. Hit by hail on the way.
    Very slippery in places. Had to take it handy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

Cold one alright, had to speed up. Almost reclaimed one of the KOMs on my daily commute :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Kinet1c

Crazy cold this morning at about 6:30am, makes for a quick commute though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭stecleary

Thought I'd use this morning as an easy recovery spin. That changed about 6.05 when my garmin was showing 0.2° , still no ice tho so the bike stays out.... on early all this week it can freeze over on sat for all I care, I'll just use the turbo and do some zone work

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭NeedMoreGears

Coldest so far of the winter for me. Only a little frost (I travel along the east coast) but big wind chill. Wind behind me on the way home so all good.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 specialCK

Lovely bright cool morning for spin. However, I notice that the traffic is much heavier than usual. For example, I could not believe how little space there is on Anglesea Road for a bike and a car to share road space.

Lovely bright cool morning for a spin. However, I notice that the traffic is much heavier than usual. For example, I could not believe how little space there is on Anglesea Road for a bike and a car to share road space.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

specialCK wrote: »
    Lovely bright cool morning for a spin. However, I notice that the traffic is much heavier than usual. For example, I could not believe how little space there is on Anglesea Road for a bike and a car to share road space.

There is rarely space on that road (IMO) during rush hour from my years of commuting on it. Surprised more parked cars are not minus their wing mirrors at some points.

I noticed even a couple of cyclists riding on the the footpath on Anglesea Road (definitely not a good sign!) due to lack of space.

I noticed even a couple of cyclists riding on the the footpath on Anglesea Road (definitely not a good sign!) due to lack of space.

What a load of rubbish (on their part), its not a wide road but it is short, and when traffic is heavy, cyclists are generally as fast as motorised traffic. I see people do this most mornings, hop up on the pavement to skip around the pinch points instead of just waiting in the queue for 30 seconds. Instead they decide the pavement is for them, seen a moped do it once as well, waddling like a duck when he realised there was a pram on the pavement coming the other way.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,535 ✭✭✭✭ted1

I bypass anglesa road, I keep going past the stadium and turn right after it. Lovely river path takes you to the Herbert hotel. Stress free way

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,848 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

On my tiny 10k commute home I wore: 3 wooly jumpers under the jacket, 1 vest, 2 scarves, 1 balaclava and a fleece buff.
    It was kind of nippy...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,768 ✭✭✭cython

Was rather wary of the road conditions this morning, based on the the hard frost on cars outside, but while it was cold on the way in (under armour, roubaix 3/4 lengths, normal weight jersey and a heavy jersey in layers, with overshoes on the feet and winter gloves kept me just about warm enough), the main roads and Chesterfield Avenue were actually fine, even around 7am. Bit warmer on the way home by my reckoning, but expect it to be pretty cold again tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

Alek wrote: »
    Cold one alright, had to speed up. Almost reclaimed one of the KOMs on my daily commute :)
    Kinet1c wrote: »
    Crazy cold this morning at about 6:30am, makes for a quick commute though.

Speed up? Go faster? :eek:

Maybe I'm doing it wrong!

I'm in "Arrive alive" mode. I tootled along this morning, enjoying the "twinkling" of the frost and for my shame, was glad of a strong head wind at one stage to get my heart rate up/sweat on.

Bleed'n cold start though.

I think I'll keep at it even though my car has the most lovely heated seats.

Hard to believe there are still plonkers out the dressed in black and with no lights. I pity the people who might run them over tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,449 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Wimped out yesterday, I'm no wimp today. Could've done with the winter gloves I couldn't find this morning though!

I rode thru O'Connell Street yesterday (10/12/14 @6pm) post-water protests and observed the quietest Thursday for Christmas shopping I had ever seen.

On the other hand, East Link Bridge and the IFSC had a tail-back all the way to Shelbourne road (very heavy traffic) and so not ideal for cycling.

The traffic was crazy last night, usually able to merge over to my right turn on the N11 as traffic is moving and I can make a good call when there is a break due to lights etc. but it was just insanity yesterday. Still glad I was on my bike though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

Went up Ticknock this morning. Full of snow everywhere - what a beautiful sight!

Studded tyres FTW :D

http://app.strava.com/activities/240861373/overview

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭Puggy

Did some hill repeats on Howth last nite. It was dry, but cold and windy.

Wimped out this morning, on the train.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭TripleMinor

Despite coming off the bike last night on my way home (a patch of ice jumped out of nowhere) I cycled this morning.

Probably was overcautious, felt like a much longer commute than normal.

Hopefully warms up during the day so I can cycle home without fear

Use a referral link when purchasing a Tesla and get free Supercharging KMs https://www.tesla.com/en_ie/referral/stephen958732

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭davidsatelle100

Took it handy on the way in, main roads were fine estates had a couple of dodgy spots. Hopefully just the wind and rain to deal with on the way home.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Icy as f*ck up here in NCD. Rode in this am on the cross bike with tyres down to 25psi and not a bother :)

Rode in with the studded tyres. It was very icy from the Kylemore road out to citywest where it looked like snow had frozen. Wouldn't have fancied it on the road bike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Had second thoughts when I loked out this morning, but once I got out of the cul de sac I live in the main estate roads were ok. Phoenix park was grand - a few frozen puddles but took it handy. New fire windstopper is paying dividends - just a thin lidl baselayer underneath and I was toasty. Wimped out with the dhb Roubaix tights.

Advertisement