Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I'm no wimp - I'm Simply the Best

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Fian

first wet commute in quite a while today. I use "rimbo" tyres on my hybrid which are particularly slippy in the wet.

I need to mount a tiny one inch kerb to enter a bike/pedestrian laneway on my commute. Between the wet conditions and general thoughtlessness i came at it at too oblique an angle and came off the bike this morning. Platform pedals on that bike, not clipped in, so I "fell on my feet" and apart from running into a wall a bit faster than the arm I broke this summer liked it was uneventful. Still it was a useful reminder that wet conditions can make a big difference.

I went over the sally gap to Laragh on Saturday, it was noticeably colder than it has been recently. I stopped and put on arm warmers and a second (very thin) pair of gloves inside the gloves I was already wearing. Comfortable after that but summer is definitely over. I was very glad I decided to put overshoes on for the first time this autumn.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Fairy liquid. Tiny drop on the lens, rub it in, let it dry and then polish with a dry cloth.

Once you get a rainy day though, it'll rinse off so you'll need to do it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,768 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

Probably won't wash off if I put it on inside lens though? Worth a shot.

Or this stuff maybe: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Cressi-DF200050-Antifog-Spray/dp/B0011BBT4I

• Registered Users Posts: 966 ✭✭✭equivariant

HTFU'ed today and did my first real winter commute of the season.

Only to realise when I got to work that I would be going commando for the day after I forgot one key piece of clothing :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭De Bhál

mrcheez wrote: »
    Glasses were fogging up pretty nastily. Apart from spitting on the inside, any solutions that will keep them clear for a few days at a time (and preferably not involving spit)?

no glasses, this is the non wimp thread :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,768 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

De Bhál wrote: »
    no glasses, this is the non wimp thread :)

There's more mud in your eye pal ... enjoy!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,976 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

A type of putty I work with,

P1030076_zpse6xvtvd9.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

Fian wrote: »
    <snip> but summer is definitely over. <snip>

Not quite sure about that.

I went out this morning at 6'ish for a spin before work."Light showers" were predicted on my app. There was no rain at 5 so I though that would be fine

eh...no. It turned out more of an incessant monsoon where I live.

1 hour later I looked liked I'd fallen into a river. The missus wasn't too happy about the state I left the hall in either :/

Was led to believe we were having rain from 7pm onwards this evening so I decided to head out again tonight with my new Galibier jacket yoke and even wrapped my new shoes in cling film. Not really sure why but I did, think i read about it somewhere :)

No rain, 13/14 degrees.

Zipping around with the jacket fully open and a pair of shiny white and obviously clingfilm covered shoes.

Lovely :o

Like the people in my estate don't think I'm a loolah already.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,535 ✭✭✭✭ted1

lots of Wimps in the office this morning, the locker room and bike racks were empty. Guess they all got a fright after yesterday morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Beautiful morning today. I was on the road at 07:15 and it was lovely and mild, maybe 13/14 degrees.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

yeah - was lovely this morning. i was out about 6 .15 or so. Changed the brake blocks on the bike yesterday - canti's really arent great. I may try get a surly straggler fork and go for a disk set up up front. Would need a new hub dynamo, disk, caliper and fork.

Anyway, some pics:
    364727.jpg

364728.jpg

364729.jpg

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

She's a beaut Lenny

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭wanderer 22

Well that was f*&ing terrifying. At 70kg bike+rider weight I was blown on a magical mystery tour today :-P

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

I laugh in the face of henry.

Seriously, it was straight in the face going west along the grand canal in dublin, so no nasty crosswinds. Just peddling squares...

• Registered Users Posts: 49 specialCK

I weigh a lot less (53kg) and I was amazed to arrive in one piece to work. Dismounted at grand canal and with the crosswind the bike flew from under me and I held onto it by just the handlebars...Unbelievable!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

It definitely was tough out there, but not the worst ive experienced in the last two months. Made reasonable time on my commute too. I just got down low on the drops and pedaled furiously. I was none too impressed to be close passed by a bin lorry between Terrenure and Templeogue, no need for it and they were rushing to a red light anyway :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭check_six

So there's some light rain this morning so I wimped out and put my fancy goretex peaked hat on. Then a sudden blast of wind flips the hat off my head. I pull in to look for the hat, but it's not there. It's not anywhere. There it is, gone!

I'd been skating up the inside of a line of traffic on Merrion St so I had a look under the cars, but it's not there. A couple of lads in a van think they saw it flip into a flat bed truck I was near. The truck driver gave me a hand searching the back of the truck, but no sign. A line of taxi drivers move their cars for me to look underneath but still no sign. I'm beginning to think that this could be a candidate for a really tame "Has anything genuinely creepy or unnerving ever happened to you" story http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=98649389.

Really strange stuff. Everyone who saw what happened gave me a hand looking for it, but it was just gone. Interesting to think that the traffic on that bit of road is such that I was able to mount a comprehensive search with the traffic barely moving at all but it was all in vain.

Curse you wind! *shakes fist at sky*

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭wanderer 22

Took it handy this morning, but no ice to report from Stoneybatter to Stephens green...plenty of filthy sleet though

• Registered Users Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭De Bhál

colm18 wrote: »
    Took it handy this morning, but no ice to report from Stoneybatter to Stephens green...plenty of filthy sleet though

Kudos for cycling in and kudos for using the correct thread

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

What's the park like?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭irishrover99

Nutgrove to Bluebell was ok. Plenty of slush but it was mostly raining by the time i got into work. Will check the park on my lunch spin but reckon that will be fine by then

Nutgrove to Bluebell was ok. Plenty of slush but it was mostly raining by the time i got into work. Will check the park on my lunch spin but reckon that will be fine by then

Noooo! I want snow there, on the grass anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭irishrover99

Noooo! I want snow there, on the grass anyway

looking at the city council cameras, it looks fine around the hueston station area with not much snow on the grass

Balls, thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Pigeon Reaper

Sleet cut the face off me when cycling into the wind. The roads where fine though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭Plastik

Snow problem Bray to D1.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,923 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Sleet cut the face off me when cycling into the wind. The roads where fine though.

Forgot my glasses so there were a few ice shards to the eyes but alright other than that.

Done a very nice sideways skid as I stopped to let a van continue up a hill and managed a nice trackstand without falling.

Fingers were sore though. I did also find the typical panic of drivers quite hilarious. If the road looks clear, salted, like it has melted, it probably is, there is no need to hug the kerb and crawl at 15kmph.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Made it in this morning without much incident. It had to be one of the worst cycles I can remember however. Bitterly cold, snow and freezing rain in the mix. I was not a happy man when I got to work! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 23,535 ✭✭✭✭ted1

No issues coming in in the N11. Although my big toes suffered from the reheats in the shower at work

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,102 ✭✭✭mathie

Looks like I picked the wrong morning to do hill repeats on Howth.

Actually it was grand. No ice. Just wind, sleet, rain, wet gloves, cold hands, cold feet etc.

As always ... Great to be out.

Advertisement