Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I'm no wimp - I'm Simply the Best

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭check_six

check_six wrote: »
    So there's some light rain this morning so I wimped out and put my fancy goretex peaked hat on. Then a sudden blast of wind flips the hat off my head. I pull in to look for the hat, but it's not there. It's not anywhere. There it is, gone!

Concerned readers will be happy to hear that I was able to get a replacement fancy goretex peaked hat so I was grand this morning. The same could not be said for the bike courier I spotted who seemed to have managed to go out this morning with no gloves on. The vivid colour of his hands was barely describable. "Inhumanly ruddy", I suppose would be a good starting point. "About to drop off" would be another. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

check_six wrote: »
    ... The same could not be said for the bike courier I spotted who seemed to have managed to go out this morning with no gloves on. The vivid colour of his hands was barely describable. "Inhumanly ruddy", I suppose would be a good starting point. "About to drop off" would be another. :eek:
    Spotted a cyclist in Drumcondra this morning wearing sandals over bare feet. I'm not sure whether to describe him as hardy or stupid!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭Rogue-Trooper

Left at 7am in a blizzard so took the MTB. Road bike would have been fine though as, apart from crappy mucky slush, the roads were fine. Didn't know that the bus lanes were open to cars when it's snowing though......:rolleyes:
    CramCycle wrote: »
    Forgot my glasses so there were a few ice shards to the eyes but alright other than that.

I had mine on but the snow was sticking to them so I couldn't see. If I took them off, the ice tore the eyeballs out of me so I still couldn't see! Settled for leaving them on with about 30% vision rather than endure the pain and watery eyes.

God bless my trusty balaclava though which left little flesh exposed to the elements. Took my helmet off when I landed into work and the vents were full of snow & ice!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,923 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

God bless my trusty balaclava though which left little flesh exposed to the elements. Took my helmet off when I landed into work and the vents were full of snow & ice!

I had a bandana which surprisingly done the job nicely

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,848 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Had some snow-on-glasses even with a cap, but roads were totally fine, just wet. Fingers were freezing even with my warmest gloves!

• Advertisement

I'd say this morning's commute was one of the wettest I've done. I was soaked to the skin within a few kms. Icy cold heavy rain and surface water everywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

I'd say this morning's commute was one of the wettest I've done. I was soaked to the skin within a few kms. Icy cold heavy rain and surface water everywhere.

You're a Badass. Rule #9

http://www.velominati.com/the-rules/#9

Another crappy morning for commuting. The wettest this year so far for me. I forgot to bring additional clothes for the commute home so it looks like I'll be putting on the wet gear again.

Like my previous two posts above, this morning's commute was wet on a Biblical scale. Soaked to the skin within 2kms. Don't know why I bothered with overshoes - socks were soaked after a few hundred metres.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

I had registered for Lap the Lough, which was on today.
    Woke up this morning at 4.00am, had a look out the window, it was p1ssing down.
    Had a quick read of The Rules, I paid particular attention to Rules #5 and#9.
    and headed off for Dungannon.
    It poured down all day, never let up. I got into a group of seven, and we worked well together.
    Just shy of 160kms, we averaged 31kph.
    I wore a long sleeve base layer, a long sleeve Gabba and a rain jacket, I also wore Sealskinz overshoes. At no stage did I feel overdressed.
    Tough day, but I'm glad I made the effort.

I'm a Badass.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭wanderer 22

After a stern talking to from Daragh I also brushed up on rule 5 and braved the deluge. As WA says above, overshoes were no use today. Still , as always, glad I got out.

https://www.strava.com/activities/1798803419/shareable_images/map_based?hl=en-US&v=1535294700

• Registered Users Posts: 6,485 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

I did it! Cycled to work yesterday and today. I’m simply the best!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭De Bhál

good kids book, I've read it maybe 50 times

I-m-the-best.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,580 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

well that was anticlimactic. no fuss at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Right who's off chasing segments? The way that winds blowing clontarf looks like it's there for the taking

It was fairly exciting earlier on and around 1pm, grand now.

I think I'll return to not looking at the forecast and being surprised :pac:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,427 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

well that was anticlimactic. no fuss at all.

It was a bit tasty between 3.30 and 4.30 in Santry. had I gone to the airport I might've been able to steal the South road KoM

• Registered Users Posts: 18,367 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

as my commute home is broadly west to east i had a lovely tail wind this evening, looks like it might be back to the wimp forum for tomorrow

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

Wetness on a whole new level on the commute home tonight with some very inconsiderate motorists throwing walls of icy water over me as they drove through the floods.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭the.red.baron

pretty manky out there today

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Well that was bleak. I actually made it into Dublin city dry enough this morning. Rain wasn't the worst, and I dried fairly quickly. I left work at 5, straight into torrential rain. Within 100M of starting I was soaked. The rain actually stopped about 10 minutes later and I only had to contend with that stiff breeze blowing head on. I had dried up a decent bit, only to have the heavens open about 3 minutes from my front door to soak my now partially dry gear. God damn. Rough few weeks.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,427 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

My commute was twice as long today as I was doing some training, plus I've been off for a week. Finished up just after 4. Bleak was the word.

Parenteni Vita finally succumbed to the conditions, but not sure any jacket would have kept me dry. It didn't make it through jacket, jersey and baselayer thankfully.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭the.red.baron

some shyte job the council do of clearing the leaves

cycled home in a river yesterday for about 5k

Well that was fcuking wet.
    And if the rain eased at all it was freezing.
    Can't wait for the hour home :(

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭Utter Consternation

eeeee wrote: »
    Well that was fcuking wet.
    And if the rain eased at all it was freezing.
    Can't wait for the hour home :(

I've never gotten so wet cycling into work (cycling the last two years).

I've often gotten drenched going home, but this was a new level of wetness. Has to be something to do with the bit of cold too. There was a nasty bite to it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,923 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Ambulance past me just as the bike lane passed another foot deep puddle, it was like one of those videos where someone on a pier gets hit by an unexpected swell/wave. Hands got so cold they started swelling, which was a new one and felt burnt.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,123 ✭✭✭daragh_

Bit grim today. Panniers on the bike so I've brought a whole extra set of dry gear for going home :D

Sealskinz Gloves are great for keeping my hands dry - but terrible at insulation. Anyone got any pointers on Gloves that will do both? Circulation in my hands isn't great these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Vincenzo Nibbly

daragh_ wrote: »
    Sealskinz Gloves are great for keeping my hands dry - but terrible at insulation. Anyone got any pointers on Gloves that will do both? Circulation in my hands isn't great these days.

I'm a fan of Galibier Deep Winter Gloves. They don't cost the earth and do a great job of insulating in the coldest cycling weather.

... and do a great job of insulating in the coldest cycling weather.
    What are they like in a combination of continuous heavy rain and low temperatures? (Most winter gloves are fine when it's very cold but not very wet).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Vincenzo Nibbly

What are they like in a combination of continuous heavy rain and low temperatures? (Most winter gloves are fine when it's very cold but not very wet).

They're excellent. Between the barrier layer and the insulation, they work for me, and I don't have great circulation in the hands either. Take care to measure the sizing right, bigger is better than smaller so there's no tightness exacerbating circulation issues.

Advertisement