Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I'm no wimp - I'm Simply the Best

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

lovely day for cycling today

Managed to catch the last huge spill on the way home yesterday, soaked to the bone

• Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭check_six

I gave my son (7) the option of a lift in the car yesterday morning. He insisted on cycling, even after standing in the garden for a few minutes getting lashed on while we were getting the bikes ready. Fair play!

I reminded him of the key phrase to recall if anyone queried him on the weather conditions: "I've been out in worse". He found this amusing rather than insane, he's definitely got the cycling bug.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

Déjà vu........ ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭Dermot Illogical

alkos wrote: »
    Déjà vu........ ;)

Again?

Indeed, my shoes on the heater next to me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Seweryn

alkos wrote: »
    Indeed, my shoes on the heater next to me.
    My ones are away somewhere, but stuffed with newspapers :).

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭bellinter

Quack f*ckin' quack

• Registered Users Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

I dropped/crashed my beater the other day, and I'm not locking one of my proper bikes 'outside' does this qualify me for the wimp list?

What if I manfully repair the beater outside in the rain?

No whatif games with us, wimpy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭Vélo

I got to work and have no spare jocks, had to go commando for the day...I'm quite enjoying the freedom!

I also lost a rear light on the way in.:(

• Advertisement

Vélo wrote: »

I hope that's not a euphemism!

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭wanderer 22

I got to work and have no spare jocks, had to go commando for the day...

Pics this way http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057058840&page=11

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭Jabel

I got to work and have no spare jocks, had to go commando for the day...I'm quite enjoying the freedom!

You can use the moon for light so...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Seweryn

That's unfortunate. A good practice is (and it's what I do) is to carry a spare (fully charged) clone rear light with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭Vélo

I always run 2 lights on the back so I'm ok.

I also have another one in work so I'm back to full quota for the spin home.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,363 ✭✭✭gerrowadat

First proper rain on the big commute. Man, did I pick a good day to try out the overshoes and helmet cover.

http://www.strava.com/activities/90410561/overview

• Registered Users Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

My ride in this morning was going well, until I got a puncture. I pulled over and headed for a bus shelter to fix it - arguably heading for a bus shelter was a bit wimpy but I reckoned there is no point in having an utterly waterproof pannier bag if I'm just going to open it up under the pouring rain to get out my spare tube and tools so I gave myself a temporary wimp pass. The bus shelter was empty, except for the vomit that someone had left in it. I tried not to look at it, if there is one thing that vomit is good at it's enticing more of the same from even the most unwilling bystander.

The tube change was going reasonably well, considering, when a car decided to use the bus lane as an undertaking lane, tearing past the bus stop right through the big puddle in front of it, and splashing a wave of water over me in the process. A minute later another undertaking driver did the very same thing.

The desire to fling the vomit at the two drivers was strong, but there was no shovel to hand and I was reluctant to use my bare hands. So despite a promising non-wimpish start to the day I clearly wimped out when it came to handling someone else's vomit. It' s quite niche admittedly but if there is a wimp list for such a thing then I belong on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭BofaDeezNuhtz

I saw rain and was unwilling to force mini me to cycle to school, so drove. I could barely see out of any of the f'kin car windows which was really scary.

Ye didn't make him sit in the boot again did ya G lol :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

I dropped/crashed my beater the other day, and I'm not locking one of my proper bikes 'outside' does this qualify me for the wimp list?

What if I manfully repair the beater outside in the rain?
    You elitists got your way when I had to take the commutourer out to pick up some stuff for work.

I don't mind the wet but rainy days do a lot to advance the 'hell is other people' argument.

Still have to fix my beater in time for a class in town tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭smackyB

doozerie wrote: »
    My ride in this morning was going well, until I got a puncture. I pulled over and headed for a bus shelter to fix it - arguably heading for a bus shelter was a bit wimpy but I reckoned there is no point in having an utterly waterproof pannier bag if I'm just going to open it up under the pouring rain to get out my spare tube and tools so I gave myself a temporary wimp pass. The bus shelter was empty, except for the vomit that someone had left in it. I tried not to look at it, if there is one thing that vomit is good at it's enticing more of the same from even the most unwilling bystander.

The tube change was going reasonably well, considering, when a car decided to use the bus lane as an undertaking lane, tearing past the bus stop right through the big puddle in front of it, and splashing a wave of water over me in the process. A minute later another undertaking driver did the very same thing.

The desire to fling the vomit at the two drivers was strong, but there was no shovel to hand and I was reluctant to use my bare hands. So despite a promising non-wimpish start to the day I clearly wimped out when it came to handling someone else's vomit. It' s quite niche admittedly but if there is a wimp list for such a thing then I belong on it.

Was that at Harolds Cross? Might have spotted you as I cycled by

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

smackyB wrote: »
    Was that at Harolds Cross? Might have spotted you as I cycled by

Yeah, just before the park. I was the cranky wet fella glaring at the cars!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,848 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Had an unfortunate spin off the bike at a roundabout on the way home today. now have some very alluring roadrash down the right hand side of me. Took off on an oil spill. Me and bike made it to the other side of the roundabout horizontally independently of each other in a spinning fashion :D Guy in car behind me was lovely, I think he was more concerned about me than I was! Bike is ok too. It's going to be a slow lumpy knee-ed cycle tomorrow! :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭MB Lacey

Didn't wimp out, cycled in. A little quicker in some parts, much slower in others :)

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭Jocry

I wimped out and sitting at my desk disappointed and hanging my head in shame :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭Rogue-Trooper

MB Lacey wrote: »
    Didn't wimp out, cycled in. A little quicker in some parts, much slower in others :)

Went for it myself too but managed a ridiculously slow time! My commute takes me along the Coast Road in Clontarf so it was particularly painful with a head-wind the whole way. Only saw one other cyclist going my way and met a total of 4 going the other (easy!) way.

It was very scary in places too and very few drivers were making allowances for the wind. Not sure whether I'm awesome or really stupid for doing it, however I just refuse to use the public transport alternative!

If the wind keeps up and doesn't change direction the commute home will be fun.
    Jocry wrote: »
    I wimped out and sitting at my desk disappointed and hanging my head in shame :(

GTFO of this thread! Wimps that way
    >

;)

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭Jabel

Jocry wrote: »

Please join the Winter wimp list thread...
    this thread is for heroes!

A few hairy moments this morning
    new light bike & clipped in with wind sideswiping me periodically :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭dreamerb

Cycled this morning, although with some trepidation. I was nearly going to start a tongue-in-cheek "Always wear your bicycle helmet" thread on the strength of my sudden delight* I was wearing one when I cycled over a large recently landed broken roof slate in the bike lane by Harold''s Cross Park. It was a bit hairy with cross-winds in part, so I'm glad that I'll be bussing home after drinks for a colleague's 50th this evening. And I swear that gets me out of the wimp list tonight / tomorrow, since that was my plan even before the stormy morning.**

*Yes, largely irrational since nothing fell on my head and bike helmets aren't rated for that kind of thing anyway. But it really was a morning for 360 degree awareness.

** Yes, I would've wimped - headwinds and crosswinds and dark are not a pleasant combination. I know it, you know it, I know you know it. But I'm still not signing up!

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭slideshow bob

Wild west here today. Looking dodgy for the commute as rain came on before we left. But the young buck managed grand with wind across us from behind. Traffic brutal so couldn't really take advantage of the tailwind after the school drop. Going to be a tough slog home if the wind doesn't moderate.

It was very scary in places too and very few drivers were making allowances for the wind.

The follow phrase could be helpful in your specific circumstances, Rogue:

"Bagman! Deploy micro-mines!"
    If the wind keeps up and doesn't change direction the commute home will be fun.

The wind *knows* which direction you are heading. Rest assured it will be in your face by the time you are going home!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

It was grand - the wind managed to be almost directly behind me most of the way and was strong but not especially gusty for the rest

Advertisement