Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I'm no wimp - I'm Simply the Best

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

Went for it myself too but managed a ridiculously slow time! My commute takes me along the Coast Road in Clontarf so it was particularly painful with a head-wind the whole way. Only saw one other cyclist going my way and met a total of 4 going the other (easy!) way.
    Same here. 35 minute spin took 55 mins this morning.
    It was very scary in places too and very few drivers were making allowances for the wind.
    I stayed on the road for the Sutton - Causeway section (sheltered by the wall) and found the drivers to be much as usual. They don't notice the wind so much so don't realise what we're feeling. I made sure to occupy more of the lane to leave some wobble room.
    If the wind keeps up and doesn't change direction the commute home will be fun.
    There was some mention of it moderating later... :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭dermo1990

A 10km spin into college would normally take me just under 30 mins including stopping at lights and whatnot, managed to shave 10 minutes off this morning with next to no effort. At least the crosswinds made things a little more interesting (I have a thing for crosswinds)....not looking forward to getting her home though

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭Valentine1

Was woken bythe wind at 4am this mornign and briefly considered joining the wimp list, its only a short commute though so decided to man up and take my chances. Fair windy alright but no difficulties apart from the occasional sideways gust.

It seems though that most others are firmly on the wimp list, our bike park is usually fairly full but today there were only 4 bikes including mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Very hairy along the R132 at Dublin Airport this morning. Was blown completely off course a few times with unpredictable gusts. Even standing at the lights at ALSAA was difficult at times.

I couldn't be arsed fighting the headwinds so took it handy and only managed an average of 22km/h over 57kms.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

Did my 10.5km into work this morning. Well hold God! I kept getting side swiped by the wind, really badly! :(:)

I have never cycled, in the short time that I have been doing it of late, in wind like that. At one stage I thought I might actually still be in bed and dreaming this because there is no way I am this stupid to have decided to cycle today :o

Made it in eventually but there was one stretch on the longmile road heading towards the nangor road that I thought people might get out of their cars and give me a push. I don't think I have ever gone into the low set of gears I was in.

Still.... it was an experience. Thankfully it was fairly mild on the homeward journey. Did get one PR when I have the wind at my back, briefly, this morning.

Did notice a distinct lack of people on their bikes this morning. Good to know there are still sensible people about :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭inc21

I din't cycle in, I even went out at 6am cycled around for fun, fixed puncture in the dark and still happy with my morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭del_boy13

Very hairy along the R132 at Dublin Airport this morning. Was blown completely off course a few times with unpredictable gusts. Even standing at the lights at ALSAA was difficult at times.

I couldn't be arsed fighting the headwinds so took it handy and only managed an average of 22km/h over 57kms.

I wimped out this morning but I think I saw you at the lights at ALSAA struggling to stay upright with the gusts :eek:. Fair play for making it in.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭Zyzz

Noticed a guy on Strava that went out and came back with 10 or so KOM's

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Zyzz wrote: »
    Noticed a guy on Strava that went out and came back with 10 or so KOM's

if he is based around Sandyford/Leopardstown I saw that too a curse him as he's knocked me down a few places

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭Zyzz

godtabh wrote: »
    if he is based around Sandyford/Leopardstown I saw that too a curse him as he's knocked me down a few places

Yup that is the guy. I was tempted myself to go out but the only wheels that are tubed and have tyres are my 58mm's :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Zyzz wrote: »
    Yup that is the guy. I was tempted myself to go out but the only wheels that are tubed and have tyres are my 58mm's :pac:

Its all about the KOMs for him.

I was tempted to go out but didnt want to die

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭slideshow bob

Wicked hail showers today. Half-wimped by pulling on a pair of rain trousers, but cycled all the same. By pure chance got from home to work between two very nasty showers. As ever on a bad day the traffic was horrendous, made worse by failed traffic lights at a major intersection on the way.

Simply the best - and smug too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Seweryn

Cycled as usual. Cold, just about 3 deg., wet, windy, dark and miserable. Other than that, as nice as ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭Jabel

Seweryn wrote: »
    Cycled as usual. Cold, just about 3 deg., wet, windy, dark and miserable. Other than that, as nice as ever.

yeah, what he said...

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,848 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Felt like I was going everyway but straight ahead this morn! Bike racks satisfyingly empty though :)

I also brought waterproof pants. Yesterday was miserable without them. Does that make me a wimp?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,923 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Chest infection, no sleep last night, I still bombed it in quicker on my bike. On the plus side, despite the traffic, the commute was quite pleasant this morning. My right hand did turn a very pale shade of its normal colour though.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Cycled in. Like a boss

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭robertdempsey

Left work at 4pm in town and headed towards Lucan direction. Twas one to remember.

The worst part was the waves that were created from passing cars, I kept thinking my racer bike with 23mm wheels would give in.

Ha. Shoes still soaking!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭marvin80

Very hungover this morning, didn't mind cycling to work because I knew there was a good chance I'd get sck on the bus!!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

bit damp last night, but this morning was grand

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

60k done, little chilly out there.....

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭detones

Had everything going against me cycling in to work today.

Headwind.
    Wet and Cold out
    Getting Over Chest Infection.
    Heavy bag to carry as I'd no clothes in work.
    Had to bring part off oven with me and required 30k round trip at lunch to get replacement.

Despite all this I cycled in and therefore think I am no Wimp and I really am Simply the Best ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭disco1

60 k this morn at 8;30am very cold and wet.. Windy... Job made harder by fitness at about 60% .. Christmas wont help fitness either..

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭Valentine1

Was frozen on the way home as well as a bit wobbly due to a late "Business" lunch. Tomorrow is the Last commute of 2013 and I suspect it may be the coldest. I have only missed a few this year hopefully I'l be able to continue the trend into 2014.

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    Cycled in. Like a boss

Likewise :p

Going home was the first time I tried out a lower base layer. Very comfy.
    Green however, is defo not my colour.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Thank god for Merino, that's all I'll say. Nice and toasty in 1-2 degree commute this evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,144 ✭✭✭nilhg

Loads of stuff going arseways here this week, not managing to get out for my normal AM spins, took a half chance to get out for an hour this evening at about 3, could see a big shower away on the horizon but reckoned I'd make it home before it came, I was wrong, first hail, then rain then sleet and finally very wet snow all mixed up with some nice squally winds.

I had a ball, the gear I've gotten recently worked, kept most of me warm and dry and the rest recovered quickly enough when I got home, great buzz to be honest, wouldn't like to be having to do it every day but enjoyed the spin.

I had to drive in today as it was the second last day of the year, workwise. Bring deliveries/presents, towels and other stuff home. All to be replenished on Monday for the start of 2014.

But I did see a few people cycling this evening.

I doff my cap to you all.

There was some serious, and I mean serious wind in South Dublin at the foot of the mountains. Knocklyon etc.

It was difficult just walking. Major kudos to the bloke who was fully kitted out and struggling to cross over the M50 on the Scholarstown(?) road heading towards Firhouse.

Fair play, in fairness.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Seweryn

My last commute this year. Not cold, but very windy, took me over an hour each way.
    Jackets, bibs, all bits of clothing now washed, chain wiped out and re-lubed. Lights are now being re-charged. Ready for the Christmass break possibly. May take a spin heare and there ;).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

There was some serious, and I mean serious wind in South Dublin at the foot of the mountains. Knocklyon etc.
    After being blindsided a couple of times on the way out of town, I will admit that I actually made the decision to use the off-road cycle track when crossing the M50 as the wind was just getting crazier and crazier the further I went towards the foothills. Mental crosswinds over the M50.

Advertisement