Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I'm no wimp - I'm Simply the Best

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Sagi

I no longer consider it to be windy. From here on, these conditions will be known as 'normal' and everything else is just a bonus......

Hm, I hope it is not normal having to get of the bike on the commute because I could not pedal against the wind anymore + being blinded by icy raindrops beeing smashed into my face...

maybe I should go to the other wimps and enjoy a bit bonus weather:D

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭wanderer 22

Enjoyed the spin in today...apart from the few times it felt like I was about to take off (I'm 60kg :P )

• Registered Users Posts: 3,123 ✭✭✭daragh_

Was on the Singlespeed going home last night. Would have been faster walking a couple of times.

Back on the winterbike this morning and I was grinning all the way in. Disc-brakes are the best thing to happen to me since I got decent mudguards.

All I got were damp toes and an overwhelming sense of smugness.

Ha. In your face Stormageddon. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

5k communte, everything from the waist down soaked, its tough keeping clothes dry in a bag even!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭MB Lacey

Cycled the 9k in, past all the standstill traffic, smiled at the sound of drivers beeping at each other, stressed to the max - happy I didn't drive and get caught up in all that stres - just cycled on by.
    I love cycling as a way of getting to work (getting about, cycling long distances at wknds, cycling in other countries....).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭Jabel

Fair play to all who cycled this morning especially in Dublin.
    I'm afraid I wimped out...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭Hmmzis

Cycled and was feeling quite good about it. Except for a couple of :eek: moments with a crosswind and a taxi it was grand.

Then at Leonards corner I spotted a fellow commuter on deep section carbon wheels (50mm at least) on a white Dolan (think it was a carbon frame) and I didn't feel that good about myslef anymore. Whoever you are and if you're reading this, I salute you! I don't think I'd be that brave or determined to go out in this on deep sections.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

Hmmzis wrote: »
    Whoever you are and if you're reading this, I salute you! I don't think I'd be that brave or determined to go out in this on deep sections.

Funnily enough while waiting at the lights at O'Connell Bridge, I saw a rljer doing what rljers do, and thought to myself what a clown, for cycling deep sections in this weather. :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,923 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Cycled in this morning but last night I was a broken man, up the N11, took shelter behind the slow moving buses. Had to wait at one junction to do a hook turn as the direction of wind was changing so much I couldn't tell where I had to lean. All was going well and slowly until a right turn in Stillorgan where the crosswind pulled the bike and myself in odd directions. I stayed on and kept a line but it was not pleasant. Then I got a tailwind the rest of the way home, which was nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭NeedMoreGears

Green&Red wrote: »
    .... everything from the waist down soaked....

Yeah - it looked pretty scary out there :D:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭check_six

Must remember to attach the new brake blocks I got a few weeks back. My stoppingness coefficient was not as stoppy as I would have liked when people started jumping out at me from the pavement this morning. Two punters crossed my path at two incidents, head down, hood up, on phone, and in a hurry to get run over by me it would appear. You grab the brakes with all your might, but in your heart of hearts you know you're going to have to steer around these ding-dongs!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭colm_gti

I have cycled in and out of work every day since I started back on the 2nd of Jan, rain, hail or shine I'll be on my bike :)

I'd rather any weather on the bike than squeezing into the train and tube at rush hour!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,923 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

colm_gti wrote: »
    I'd rather any weather on the bike than squeezing into the train and tube at rush hour!
    Difficult enough to do that today from what SKY news says.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭colm_gti

CramCycle wrote: »
    Difficult enough to do that today from what SKY news says.

I am oblivious to any tfl strikes or disruptions whenever they happen

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭The Noble Nudge

Cycled last night I wasnt a wimp but awaiting a phone call about my broken rim so not so brave now.
    Snapped at the weld so hopefully its warranty and need to recheck and closely inspect the back again now too...........
    :(:(

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭mp31

Currently using Swiss stop black pads ... their performance over the last few days has been woeful.

I'm thinking of getting some Kool Stop salmon pads as suggested by Sheldon Brown... does anyone use them and what are they like in the wet weather we've had the last few days?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,308 ✭✭✭quozl

I use the Kool Stop salmons. I find them very good. Much better than the Tiagra pads I replaced with them.

I've not tried Swiss Stop for comparison though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭MB Lacey

I have swiss top green and think they're great in the rain.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

I'm using Kool Stop salmons also. haven't been great in the rain at the mo but I suspect that's because they're so worn. They're very kind to rims also, don't seem to wear them away like the black BBB pads I was using before.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,848 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Ha ha I posted my 'I'm no Wimp' post in the 'Winter Wimp List' thread. Oh dear. I think some water must have gotten into my brain!
    Fairly miserable commute, straight into the shower when I got in. Was still damp from this morning when I got home this evening ugh!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭Zyzz

125km tonight, soul building weather as they say. Gloves and shoes were soaked, and I got lost. Thank the Lord for google maps!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭krissovo

Zyzz wrote: »
    125km tonight, soul building weather as they say. Gloves and shoes were soaked, and I got lost. Thank the Lord for google maps!

Feck me sideways, kudos to breaking a tonne. I managed 15k before I was blown off and ended up in a ditch!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭Zyzz

krissovo wrote: »
    Feck me sideways, kudos to breaking a tonne. I managed 15k before I was blown off and ended up in a ditch!

If I had gotten out 2 hours or so earlier than when I actually left it wouldn't have been too bad at all! Headwind for the majority of the spin aswel which was hurtful to say the least :pac:

Edit: Im also using the swisstops, amazing in the dry..terrible in the rain, make an awful sound aswel :/

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭Valentine1

Much Weather this morning, nearly found myself in difficulty when I pulled onto the canal to be met by an unexpected and ferocious gust of wind that left me stalled in the middle of the road with traffic approaching on both sides.

I can't say I enjoy the (fairly short) commute in bad weather but it beats bussing/driving/walking by a long long way:)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Zyzz wrote: »
    .....and according to Strava, you practically passed my front door out here in the sticks! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭slideshow bob

Valentine1 wrote: »
    I can't say I enjoy the (fairly short) commute in bad weather but it beats bussing/driving/walking by a long long way:)
    +1 on that.

Very wet and windy in Galway this morning. Got blown to a standstill in a gust on one of the roundabouts. Scary stuff.

Met Eireann indicate the trip home could be even more interesting:
    Winds will veer southwest to westerly later this morning and will increase storm force 10 or violent storm force 11, with some severe gusts.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Rough one okay this morning in Dublin - had what felt like the whole Sally Gap discharge on me from Lucan to City West. Head wind and sleet. Nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

This morning was fine, (well - "fine", not fine, it was pi55ing rain the whole way), but I think discretion is the better part of valor and I'll leave the bike in work and take the luas home. First time wimping in about 2 years :( There's only so much HTFUing you can do before crossing the line to stupid. Oh well.

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭Koobcam

No feckin way am I cycling home in this weather..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Seaswimmer

kenmc wrote: »
    This morning was fine, (well - "fine", not fine, it was pi55ing rain the whole way), but I think discretion is the better part of valor and I'll leave the bike in work and take the luas home. First time wimping in about 2 years :( There's only so much HTFUing you can do before crossing the line to stupid. Oh well.

I never thought I would look forward to working late. Here till 22:00 at which point the winds will be lighter and more to the point from the W or NW which blows me home..

and it was S or SE this morning which blew me in..

Advertisement