Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I'm no wimp - I'm Simply the Best

Options

Comments

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,381 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Feckin blow-ins ....!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,123 ✭✭✭daragh_

Seaswimmer wrote: »
    I never thought I would look forward to working late. Here till 22:00 at which point the winds will be lighter and more to the point from the W or NW which blows me home..

and it was S or SE this morning which blew me in..

Watch out for debris on the way. I know you've strong lights but take it handy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,538 ✭✭✭nak

Had to walk the bike out of work, almost blew out of my hands. Followed by a serious tailwind home along the canal. Felt very sorry for the people heading the other way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭stecleary

I cycled into work this morning but after a run in with a bus driver i swallowed all pride and handed the woman the "i picked you up from work" card to play for the next million days, a lord knows she will use it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭Hmmzis

Hell, that was rough. For the first time while commuting I had to unclip due to the headwind/crosswind and put my foot on the ground to avoid getting blown over. Some of the gusts blew me to a near standstill no matter how hard I tried to keep going.

Note to myself, next time in a hurricane take a taxi.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭the.red.baron

lads the wind in Dublin was barely noticable. All bark and no bite

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭dermo1990

56kph swirling head to crosswinds from town to rathfarnham, that was fun!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Seweryn

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Discovered new gears I never knew I had on my walking pace cycle home yesterday

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭Ole Rodrigo

Also had to walk the bike out of the car park in work yesterday. At the Dublin Mountain foothills there were some lethal gusts, seemingly from from all directions, that took the joy out of a tail wind back into town. Hats off to all those who were going in the opposite direction.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

went out to do my usual spin this morning. Winds were generally consistent but every now and again you got a swirl that would make you wobble. Tough going but worth it

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭detones

Cycled into work today from North Co. Dublin, Balbriggan/Balrothery to Swords, trying to stop on black ice going down hill is no fun. As the thread title goes I'm no wimp but I am a lucky mother fooker, I'm Lucky I didn't come off a couple of times. I'll be leaving the bike at home next time there's frost on the Car. There's HTFU and then there's STUPID.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭dermabrasion

Yup, serious heebees this morning with ice/frost. Thankfully, Aircoach drivers are understanding and give a wide path.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭Hmmzis

Did the commute but wimped out of the training session, too much ice on the roads for my liking. Will have to take the turbo out in the evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,123 ✭✭✭daragh_

Thankfully, Aircoach drivers are understanding and give a wide path.

That's a first!

Rock Road and into town was grand. Bit of ice in the gutter here and there. Couple of dodgy crosswinds. Much nicer than yesterday.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Not much ice around my way. Did see plenty on the way up to Ticknock dropping of the kid

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

lads the wind in Dublin was barely noticable. All bark and no bite

I'll go and tell the tree blocking the road around the corner to get off it's ass and don't be messing, and the neighbour with parts of his roof on the road that's it's all an illusion and he's only imagining the draft coming from his attic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭MB Lacey

ThisRegard wrote: »
    I'll go and tell the tree blocking the road around the corner to get off it's ass and don't be messing, and the neighbour with parts of his roof on the road that's it's all an illusion and he's only imaging the draft coming from his attic.

and I probably just imagined seeing the lamp post which had fallen on a car outside the sports centre in UCD yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭MB Lacey

I've been cycling everyday for the last couple of weeks, the weather this week has been exhausting - but last night I got home and lay on the couch in shock.
    Cycled in again today, not so bad getting in, but there's a mention of sleet in Dublin this evening?
    I might treat myself to the Wimp list tomorrow.

Seweryn wrote: »

Was there much wind around Killkenny on your commute yesterday? The place was almost shut down

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

My mother in law rang last night to say that she would drop me into work if the weather continued, very nice but unnecessary. I realise the rest of the country was bad but I honestly feel like I have been out in worse weather in Dublin in the last few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Seweryn

Was there much wind around Killkenny on your commute yesterday? The place was almost shut down
    Yes, the winds were unbelievable and over 40 trees down around the town according to news. Most of the roads were blocked with fallen trees.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Sagi

Cycled up the icy road today in the morning, funny how it goes sometimes, couple of people were late for work as they either got stuck on the icy uphill or just had to drive extra careful due to the conditions.

No delay for me, one more reason not to wimp out.

MB Lacey wrote: »
    and I probably just imagined seeing the lamp post which had fallen on a car outside the sports centre in UCD yesterday.

A fallen lamp post, oh the humanity

Cycled past UCD yesterday evening about 6 and the wind was nothing to write home about. Hardly noticeable.

You boys need to toughen up.

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭slideshow bob

the trip home could be even more interesting:
    Rightly wimped out of the bike home last night as the wind was as bad as forecast. Ran home instead which was a real slog into the breeze. Ran back this morning which was easy enough with the tail wind. I was expecting it'd be ok for the bike home but it's windier now than it was last night and there's heavy showers on the way. Too knackered to run home again so steeling myself for a wet slog homeward pushing the bike on the footpath :(.

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭Koobcam

I walked home last night, which at about 9km is a decent stretch. I cycled to work this morning, only now I have two bikes in the office. Should I walk home again this evening and go to work tomorrow on the racing bike, just so I have three to choose from for the friday evening commute?

• Registered Users Posts: 31,080 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Koobcam wrote: »
    I walked home last night, which at about 9km is a decent stretch. I cycled to work this morning, only now I have two bikes in the office. Should I walk home again this evening and go to work tomorrow on the racing bike, just so I have three to choose from for the friday evening commute?

http://www.instructables.com/id/How-To-Ghostride-a-Bike/

FNLYQZCGKLISL3B.MEDIUM.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭slideshow bob

Lumen wrote: »

Good idea, but must get tricky when you add horizontal rain, traffic and Friday evening pints :)

• Registered Users Posts: 31,080 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Good idea, but must get tricky when you add horizontal rain, traffic and Friday evening pints :)

This thread might be of interest to you. :pac:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057051347

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Lumen wrote: »
    FNLYQZCGKLISL3B.MEDIUM.jpg
    I done this one time heading home, traffic wasn't bad but I was wondering about the white van behind me refusing to overtake. Only realised when the van beeped and overtook that it was thetaxman laughing at me :(

Advertisement