Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I'm no wimp - I'm Simply the Best

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭LennoxR

A fallen lamp post, oh the humanity

Cycled past UCD yesterday evening about 6 and the wind was nothing to write home about. Hardly noticeable.

You boys need to toughen up.

Nonsense. Cycled home yesterday at about 4 and the wind was the strongest I'd ever seen, seriously dangerous, bikes getting blown sideways. It had slackened off a lot by six, so just count your blessings.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭the.red.baron

LennoxR wrote: »
    Nonsense. Cycled home yesterday at about 4 and the wind was the strongest I'd ever seen, seriously dangerous, bikes getting blown sideways. It had slackened off a lot by six, so just count your blessings.

Nonsense, you've obviously never seen strong wind. It's as bloody windy today. You need to toughen up.

And it wasn't even feckin raining

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Nonsense, you've obviously never seen strong wind. It's as bloody windy today. You need to toughen up.

And it wasn't even feckin raining

You were lucky. I once commuted to work for three months in a headwind so strong it would have been quicker to circumnavigate the earth.

Didn't have any of your fancy Bidons either, used to carry my water to work on a damp cloth that we would suck on it, dipped it in the septic tank on the way to the bike so it was moist for the trip into work. We used to have to get up at six in the morning, clean the mudguards, eat a stale slice of cake, go to work down t'lab, twenty hours a day, week-in week-out, for sixpence a week, some weeks I would have to pay my boss to be allowed go to work and when we got home my wife would thrash us to sleep wi' her belt.

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭Jabel

CramCycle wrote: »
    You were lucky. I once commuted to work for three months in a headwind so strong it would have been quicker to circumnavigate the earth.

Didn't have any of your fancy Bidons either, used to carry my water to work on a damp cloth that we would suck on it, dipped it in the septic tank on the way to the bike so it was moist for the trip into work. We used to have to get up at six in the morning, clean the mudguards, eat a stale slice of cake, go to work down t'lab, twenty hours a day, week-in week-out, for sixpence a week, some weeks I would have to pay my boss to be allowed go to work and when we got home my wife would thrash us to sleep wi' her belt.

Luxury!
    Right. I had to get up in the morning at ten o'clock at night half an hour before I went to bed, drink a cup of sulphuric acid, work twenty-nine hours a day down mill, and pay mill owner for permission to come to work, and when we got home, our Dad and our mother would kill us and dance about on our graves singing Hallelujah.

And you try and tell the young people of today that ..... they won't believe you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭the.red.baron

You had mudguards? Well la dee da. Fancy pants, tis far from Mudguards you were reared.

For whats it's worth Mudguards kill more people yearly than they save. I once saw that in a white paper, but I can't post the link right now as I'm on my phone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

You had mudguards? Well la dee da. Fancy pants, tis far from Mudguards you were reared.

For whats it's worth Mudguards kill more people yearly than they save. I once saw that in a white paper, but I can't post the link right now as I'm on my phone.

You had a bike??

bikeman.jpg

ha ha, that made me laugh out loud!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,848 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Hideous commute this morning. Made the additional mistake of cycling to the pool and back at lunchtime. I didn't know I could go so slow on a bike and remain upright :o. Not looking forward to going home.

I would be most grateful to Met Eireann if they could sort out the wind please. Less of that for this evening ta!

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭ciotog

This morning was a real struggle alright. I've been off the bikes for ages so this was a tough return :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

gadetra wrote: »
    I would be most grateful to Met Eireann if they could sort out the wind please. Less of that for this evening ta!

Alas our wind generators are on the blink. We've been trying to sort them out for a while now but they keep over-running...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,848 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

cdaly_ wrote: »
    Alas our wind generators are on the blink. We've been trying to sort them out for a while now but they keep over-running...

In that case I would like to bill you for a new pair of legs please. I don't see mine lasting the journey into and out of town again this evening. Ta!!

I think I may have just cause to be present on this list.
    We have a new baby and all that comes with that, sleeplessness
    tiredness, exhaustion and irrational irritability so don't say a word right?
    Take last night as an example - bed at 1am, awake at 2.15 for a feed
    mrs J was just too tired to do, back to bed at 3.30, awake again at
    6am to prod Ms J into action for another feed, up again at 7.20 to drop the son to his lift to work
    then back home to get on the bike to cycle (16.5km) to work.

I'm no wimp...?

Jabel wrote: »
    6am to prod Ms J into action for another feed, up again at 7.20 to drop the son to his lift to work

I'm no wimp...?

I feel your pain we also have a new baby in the house (our first) she's almost cried all the joy out of cycling to work in the morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭carthoris

we also have a new baby in the house (our first)

As a cyclist you are bound by the n+1 rule in all aspects of live ... :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭flatface

Jabel wrote: »

I'm no wimp...?

nah, I'm not buying it. This and the wimps list are only for cycling in the most horrible of conditions, cold dark wet and miserable.

Plus cycling away from a house where there are screaming kids you are no longer in charge of is pure bliss.

carthoris wrote: »

No idea what that means!

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭carthoris

No idea what that means!

It is a joke that the number of bike a cyclist should have is n+1, i.e they always want/need another bike for some reason. I was suggesting that you will have to follow the same rule with children and you are just starting out :)

It is a joke that the number of bike a cyclist should have is n+1, i.e they always want/need another bike for some reason. I was suggesting that you will have to follow the same rule with children and you are just starting out :)

Ah I'm with ya now. I only bought a bike about 10 weeks ago & already think it's time for an upgrade

flatface wrote: »
    nah, I'm not buying it. This and the wimps list are only for cycling in the most horrible of conditions, cold dark wet and miserable.

Plus cycling away from a house where there are screaming kids you are no longer in charge of is pure bliss.

Hard to catch a break on here...
    I will however be cycling back to said house of screaming kids!

Never let my wife hear you, 2 = plenty, in this aspect of my life.
    flatface wrote: »
    If you think you are in charge you have alot to learn.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

If you think you are in charge you have alot to learn.

Totally. I spend half my time asking "Is this what you want? No? Is it this then? Jesus, WHAT DO YOU WANT?"

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Never let my wife hear you, 2 = plenty, in this aspect of my life.

Rule #12
    The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.

While the minimum number of bikes one should own is three, the correct number is n+1, where n is the number of bikes currently owned. This equation may also be re-written as s-1, where s is the number of bikes owned that would result in separation from your partner.

Just to be clear I was referring to kids not bikes where n is the correct number.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Just to be clear I was referring to kids not bikes where n is the correct number.

Good man .....

PS have 2, that's plenty #trustme (kids that is ;) )

• Registered Users Posts: 4,768 ✭✭✭cython

So bumping this because despite a very strong temptation to walk the 5 mins to the train and use that this morning, I told myself to suck it up and get on the bike. Kind of regretted my decision when the heavens opened just before I hit the park and I could barely see anything, but other than that cycling with thunder and lightning is actually kind of cool.

Anyone else have a dilemma this morning?

cython wrote: »
    NO :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,123 ✭✭✭daragh_

cython wrote: »

No.

Stopped raining in Sunny South County Dublin as soon as I took the bike out of the shed.

Not a drop the whole way in and most of the lights were green. All is well with the world. :)

daragh_ wrote: »
    Stopped raining in Sunny South County Dublin as soon as I took the bike out of the shed.
    I was a bit disappointed that the rain was not heavier and that the thunder had stopped by the time I got out but there is always later.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭thebouldwhacker

This thread really should be locked and only accessable when the clocks go back, then locked again the following spring.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭MB Lacey

I was a bit disappointed that the rain was not heavier and that the thunder had stopped by the time I got out but there is always later.

Same.
    Cycled to work in my waterproofs for NOTHING.

Advertisement