Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I'm no wimp - I'm Simply the Best

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭thebouldwhacker

This thread really should be locked and only accessable when the clocks go back, then locked again the following spring.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

This thread really should be locked and only accessable when the clocks go back, then locked again the following spring.

Maybe a title edit?

"Wimp list, Winter 2014/15" and a "Simply the Best, Winter 2014/15"

A bit of rain is nothing, if not enjoyable, during the warm months. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭MB Lacey

Probably time for the real battle of Wimp v I'm no wimp threads to commence.
    Clocks have gone back, it's dark leaving work and it's been raining heavily last couple of days. I still cycled though. Who'd be fool enough to sit in a car or a bus in that traffic?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭The tax man

Kept an eye on willitraintoday, held on an extra 20mins in the office. By the time I'd changed the rain had cleared North Dublin. Grand cycle home, just the standing water to deal with.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,535 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Maybe a title edit?

"Wimp list, Winter 2014/15" and a "Simply the Best, Winter 2014/15"

A bit of rain is nothing, if not enjoyable, during the warm months. :)

I find it quite liberating. Just have to watch out for the left turning card who don't expect bikes in the rain

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

MB Lacey wrote: »
    Probably time for the real battle of Wimp v I'm no wimp threads to commence.
    Clocks have gone back, it's dark leaving work and it's been raining heavily last couple of days. I still cycled though. Who'd be fool enough to sit in a car or a bus in that traffic?

But not cold. Focus on the positives

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Thursday mid-morning will be testing for any late commuters (or leisure cyclists). Very heavy rain and gale force south easterly forecast for around 10am/11am.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Thursday mid-morning will be testing for any late commuters (or leisure cyclists). Very heavy rain and gale force south easterly forecast for around 10am/11am.

Excellent, have a 3 hour spin scheduled for a 10:30 start.....

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

RobFowl wrote: »
    Excellent, have a 3 hour spin scheduled for a 10:30 start.....
    Just keep heading north west - in 3 hours you'll be in Sligo!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

Kept an eye on willItraintoday.

I took this to be some kind of training program monitor setup, not an excuse to wimp out...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭stecleary

Left the house at 6 and office at 3.30 couldn't find my leg warmers too warm for a full bib so shorts it was. Grand going in bloody cold rain coming home. Found them this evening so should be warm enough for tomorrow

Not raining when I leave the house, low bright sun so don the sunnies, set off in cycling top and jeans.
    30 seconds in and heavy rain and cloud.
    Take off sunnies put waterproof jacket on, too lazy to put waterproof trousers on, rain will probably stop in a minute.
    Down to the canal and it's a downpour. Stop again to put on waterproof trousers.
    Set off again fully waterproofed. Rain stops, sweat all the way into work for the next 7k :cool:
    One benefit of the temp turning cold is it wont be so warm cycling in the waterproofs.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

My cycling shoes are getting dry on the radiator twice a day, for some time now. If the weather stays they are going to melt by the end of next week :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Seweryn

Alek wrote: »
    My cycling shoes are getting dry on the radiator twice a day, for some time now. If the weather stays they are going to melt by the end of next week :)
    My shoes never go near a radiator and get wet regularly. All you need is an old newspaper put into the shoes, and they will dry out this way in a couple of hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Mr Rubicon Conundrum

Free supply of old newspaper too, thats why I pick up a Metro Herald on the wet mornings, not for its journalistic brilliance :)

Tried newspapers, never worked for me. Besides, how can I find enough newspapers to do this twice daily? ;)

They are cheap shimanos, no regret if they really melt, but I have done this numerous times with no ill effects. They became snuggier over time, maybe.

Alek wrote: »
    snuggier over time

:P

Ooops, my English again :o .... I meant they shrunk a bit.

No need to go to work today... woke up at 5:30 and went to practice CX before heavy rain, at least according to met.ie

Hellfire, Cruagh Wood, halfway to Ticknock and back home before 9:30. Heavy showers in the mountains (thanks met!), but still loads of fun.

http://app.strava.com/activities/218752337

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Fian

They were right!

Coming in this morning (8:35-8:50 or so) was pleasant though, had to dodge puddles but no rain to speak of.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

About to head out, wish me luck......

• Registered Users Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭the.red.baron

Nothing to write home about really, windy enough, but not that wet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

RobFowl wrote: »
    About to head out, wish me luck......

Here in north Dublin, almost north county, it's been torrential all morning.

Nice and snug in a dark office with all the lights off with only a desk light, for some reason I'm more productive in such conditions.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 specialCK

I went by bike @6.50am, no choice, traffic was mental if going by car. Big headwind but not too wet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

Strong winds and torrential rain at times in D9. Going for a run instead.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,381 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Strong winds and torrential rain at times in D9. Going for a run instead.
    Christ you'll be swimming in the stuff next! - Anyway this is the "not a wimp" thread:P

ThisRegard wrote: »
    Here in north Dublin, almost north county, it's been torrential all morning.

Nice and snug in a dark office with all the lights off with only a desk light, for some reason I'm more productive in such conditions.

It was wet, at stages could hardly see, esp when heading into the headwind in a squall...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

I was just getting worried about you !

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭dreamerb

Looked out rear window this morning just as the clouds opened in a briefly torrential precursor to this morning's steady rain: thought "Feck it, wimp list for me". Looked out front window to see traffic backed up past my house and just inching along: cycled.

Not looking forward to the cycle home but it's still by far the least-worst option.

I should probably get proper rain gear to mitigate these wimpish tendencies. :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Skrynesaver

dreamerb wrote: »
    Looked out rear window this morning just as the clouds opened in a briefly torrential precursor to this morning's steady rain: thought "Feck it, wimp list for me". Looked out front window to see traffic backed up past my house and just inching along: cycled.

Not looking forward to the cycle home but it's still by far the least-worst option.

I should probably get proper rain gear to mitigate these wimpish tendencies. :o

Nah, the choice is between salt or fresh water ;)

Once you've a towel and a change of clothes when you get where you're going your better off without rain gear.

Advertisement