Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone had water softener installed (Ferrybank)?

Options
  • 16-10-2013 11:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭

Has anyone had one installed? If so, how do you find it and has it been worth the cost? Thinking about it at the moment but the cost is the biggest factor putting me off. Any feedback appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Jambo

I have one approx 18 months or more- Installed it myself , well worth the cost IMO , costs approx €7 for salt monthly from morris, (Unit cost around €400 plus and extra €40 on pipes and fittings to fit it and to further make a bypass system to bypass the softener should we need to service it etc without affecting the house supply)

We have no more lime scale on the tiles , sinks etc, you feel you are getting a better shower/bath (more lather etc) , clothes are all softer etc.

We don't run the kitchen sink cold water through the softner as some do not recommend it so we just have to de scale the kettle as you know very regularly , and clean around the sink with lemon juice to get rid of the heavier lime deposits.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 burko2

I had mine fitted 2 years ago.As previous poster said its about 7 euro a month for salt depending on usage of course.I have found it helps the limescale as I have no problems with any appliances or the copper cylinder in hotpress.
    I have also by-passed the kitchen tap so still have to de-scale the kettle.The company that installed mine are EWT Technologies and found them excellent on servicing and for delivering salt and giving a reduction when buying 10 bags.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,487 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

I'm not in Ferrybank but I am in a very high lime area, got one installed 4 years ago set me back around 800e at the time.
    Salt sets me back around 7.50 every 4-5 weeks,

Well worth the investment, without one you can expect to have to replace showers etc every 5-6 years depending on usage (I know this from previous experience)

Cabaal wrote: »
    Well worth the investment, without one you can expect to have to replace showers etc every 5-6 years depending on usage (I know this from previous experience)

+1
    I know a few people whom have replaced 2 Electric Showers in less time than that in Ferrybank - so on that basis alone the initial outlay is well worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭thomasm

Got one also. Cost €650 and about €8pm on salt. Makes some difference. Our shower was a joke getting clogged up all the time and the kettle was just as bad. If you don't get it done you are storing up a huge problem with your shower, washing machine, dishwasher and central heating. From what I'm told its a particularly 'hard' supply in Ferrybank.

As an aside Kilkenny County council are some shower of sneaky b@stards for implementing this without consulting anyone in the area. The stealthily lobbed a bill of circa €5-700 on everyone's doorstep plus €100 per annum on top for salt and servicing. Heard also its causing a major headache in the new Glanbia Plant been built in Belview. The got planning and based there costs on having the old supply and now they have to factor in softening millions of litre's of water a day. Not sure how they missed that though with all the consultation that went on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭hdl

Thanks for the replies. I'm regularly descaling the kettle and the shower head in vinegar, and cleaning sinks and shower door, etc is a pain, so I can only imagine what it's doing to the inside of the washing machine/dishwasher/shower as well as pipes, etc

Just after I posted I got the Ferrybank newsletter in the door, and EWT are advertising an offer of half price softener including installation for 674. Not sure if it's a good price as I haven't really looked around yet, but will check prices later. Thanks again for replies.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,546 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Has anyone tried the electric version of this?

thomasm wrote: »
    Heard also its causing a major headache in the new Glanbia Plant been built in Belview. The got planning and based there costs on having the old supply and now they have to factor in softening millions of litre's of water a day. Not sure how they missed that though with all the consultation that went on.

Either Belview is on its own supply or else this is part of the new supply Ferrybank is on ( See Here - Belview Strategic Water Supply )

• Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭crustybla

EWT installed mine too. It's in about 2 years now and it's the best thing we ever did, even though we struggled to get the money to get it. Peace of mind is everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭Gadgie

Are there any servicing costs associated with these units, or is it just the salt costs?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭thomasm

Gadgie wrote: »
    Are there any servicing costs associated with these units, or is it just the salt costs?

Got ours from Aisling Water and service is €60 per year plus the salt in top

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭spankmemunkey

KevIRL wrote: »
    Has anyone tried the electric version of this?

Thats the reverse osmossis filter your talking about, it removes fluoride but I'm sure it helps with limescale, I will be getting it done as I'm not fond of drinking fluoride or being forced to drink it, we don't swallow tooth paste we don't swallow mouthwash but we swallow it in water, once it passes our teeth it becomes a chemical our body has to process. The sooner they ban it the better and I won't be paying my water charges on that basis.

Placed an order with ewt today for installation mid Nov

• Registered Users Posts: 756 ✭✭✭themacdaddy

Placed an order with ewt today for installation mid Nov

Do you mind me asking was it expensive?

Do you mind me asking was it expensive?

€674

• Registered Users Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Stokolan

Bought mine from water2buy around 2 years ago. Cost €470 at the time. I only use a bag of salt every 6 - 8 weeks. I have it regenerating every 8 or 9 days with my current usage.

Best thing I ever put in.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭spankmemunkey

€674

Is that a reverse osmossis filter?

OP- one word of advice go for a metered system and not a timer system - the metered system will regenerate based on your exact usage and as long as you keep the salt topped up you wont have an issue.

A timer system regenerates based on how you set the timer based on what you think you may use, i.e. it may be needlessly over softening the supply or it may be under softening the supply i.e. you may have used a lot of water and the system needs regeneration but as the timer is not set for another few days your system will fill with un-softened water - diluting the softened water already in your attic tank)

Some good arguments in this thread

• Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭hdl

Jambo wrote: »
    OP- one word of advice go for a metered system and not a timer system - the metered system will regenerate based on your exact usage and as long as you keep the salt topped up you wont have an issue.

Thanks, will remember that. Actually have to put the softener on hold til after Christmas anyway. Need to get a root canal done unfortunately, and can't afford both at the moment, so I'll start looking around at prices again in the new year. Thanks for all the advice everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 spudgobbler

Stokolan, I've had nothing but problems with my iron/manganese removal unit I got from water2buy. I think it's very important that people out there research whom you get to filter your water. For a few extra quid your better off getting a proven reputable company. I've rang water2buy on numerous occasions, all they do is take my number. Their customer service is awful. I'm now left with smelly manganese water which I can't afford to fix.

• Advertisement
Advertisement