Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Proper cooking pumpkin

Options
  • 16-10-2013 12:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 43

Hello, I am wondering if anyone can tell me where I might be able to purchase proper real eating pumpkins in Dublin, like you can purchase on the continent and in Australia. Solid orange flesh inside ( like a butternut squash).

The orange coloured pumpkins that are available in Ireland at this time of the year are of very poor quality with very pale and spongy flesh and are more for decoration than consuming.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

I've made pie with them several times and it's been lovely.

If you're around Dublin Fallon & Byrne might have the kind you're looking for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

Middle Eastern/Indian/Pakistani type Asian markets tend to have pumpkin, they sell it by the wedge as well if you don't need a full one. I haven't been keeping my eyes open for it lately but have seen it before in some of the shops on Moore Street and in the Asian shop on Mary street near the Madina restaurant

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭castlewhite

The variety I think you are looking for is Muscat, much flatter and darker orange that the normal Jack O Lantern you see at Halloween.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭Swampy

I'll be following this thread as I would love to make a dish with pumpkin. A Moroccan or curry dish is what I have in my head. It would be great if you could scoop out the flesh, make a curry or casserole and serve it out of the hollowed out pumpkin, perhaps after a roast.

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭5unflower

Keep an eye out on farmers markets, Fallon&Byrne (as mentioned) and other more artisan food places, they often have many different varieties of squash/pumpkin. Just last weekend for example I saw what is known on the continent as hokkaido squash at the organic food fair in Marlay Park, it looks like a smaller, firmer variety of the familiar orange pumpkins and the flesh is great for all sorts of recipes.

If it's the firm flesh you're after, why not use butternut squash anyway, very versatile and readily available from any supermarket even.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,408 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

loadsofham wrote: »
    Hello, I am wondering if anyone can tell me where I might be able to purchase proper real eating pumpkins in Dublin, like you can purchase on the continent and in Australia. Solid orange flesh inside ( like a butternut squash).
    Here in oz the most popular type is the normal butternut pumpkin (aka squash) you can get everywhere.

Advertisement