Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cloud base height

Options
  • 16-10-2013 12:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭

hi, im just starting to search the forum for the info,
    but in case somebody already knows where to look,

can anyone tell me of an app or a web link to get updates on cloud base height and coverage in different regions in ireland.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,774 ✭✭✭Bsal

The best thing is to see airport METAR reports for cloud base's but you need to know the 4 letter ICAO airport code's. Here's a list of the Irish one's

Capture77_zpsce3e7fc4.png

and you can enter them here

http://www.aviationweather.gov/adds/metars/

This is an example one for Dublin airport with the cloud base in bold EIDW 161430Z 28011KT 9999 FEW010 SCT015 BKN022 11/10 Q1002 NOSIG

FEW at 1000ft, SCATTERED 1500ft, BROKEN 2200ft these are given above the airport elevation.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,783 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Are there any ceilometer or other lidar devices operating in Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭Alan b.

thanks a lot.
    thats exactly what i was looking for.
    i knew the meter reports where a good shot and already worked out how to decifer them. but i didnt know how to go about finding them to begin with.

is there anywhere else that provides METAR's?
    midlands areas. or is it just airports.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭tphase

Are there any ceilometer or other lidar devices operating in Ireland?

I would guess all the Met Eireann synoptic stations running TUCSON systems have them including the 4 main airports (Vaisala CL31), there's also a Jenoptik CHM15K at Mace Head and the IAA are setting up an ash detection network using Raman lidars (Leosphere R-MAN 510) at Malin Head, Mace Head, Mount Gabriel. I would guess they'll also put one at Dublin Airport eventually.

Advertisement