Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Landlord responsible for removing furniture?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

This is the reason I only rent unfurnished... crappy quality furniture does nothing for anyone's quality of living.

I wish there were more unfurnished units in Ireland, or even a demand for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,394 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

beauf wrote: »
    I think you are trivialising how important furniture is for people, and tenants have a reasonable expectation that it will be a reasonable standard.
    So there is no agreement the LL didn't abide by?

I am not trivialising it, the OP had a chance to inspect the furniture and didn't agree replacement. That is it. You can't claim the LL failed or didn't abide by their agreement.

I personally would replace the furniture for the tenant if it was in poor condition. That doesn't mean new furniture either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭sari

Yeah I know what you mean pwurple. This house was partially furnished we had our own beds and most of other furniture apart from dining table and the couch and armchair.
    I don't think I'm being unreasonable or asking for a lot. We bought our own when what was here was damaged and landlord said she wouldn't replace. They had just built their own house so I'm sure bit strapped for cash, so we understood why they couldn't get them but would expect that they would help us in some way to store the old furniture when they decided not to get rid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Where would a LL store furniture? Who pays for the storage, the transport, the labour required? You didn't think this through before buying new furniture.

That said renting a place with the furniture repaired with gaffa tape is telling you the LL won't spend money on repairs. Good luck if you need something expensive fixing. If a LL is ok with leaving the tenant to discover problems, then leave them stuck with the problem, its seems a poor way to run a business, especially if you require that tenants goodwill to look after the property.

If there something broken and the LL won't fix it. Its time to leave. Before its xmas week and the boiler breaks, or you have a leak.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭sunnysoutheast

pwurple wrote: »
    This is the reason I only rent unfurnished... crappy quality furniture does nothing for anyone's quality of living.

I wish there were more unfurnished units in Ireland, or even a demand for them.

We offered our house unfurnished, very high demand for it from families relocating for work etc.

I'd even go far as to say I'd only rent unfurnished now.

• Advertisement
Advertisement