Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

new to boating question????

• 16-10-2013 1:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13

hi,im thinking of getting a boat (sea) motor or sail, can someone tell me this, can you take a sail boat and use as a motor boat,with or without mast/rigging etc or do you need the mast for balance of the vessel etc,any info much appreciated,thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,337 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

Hi 726 and welcome. You can of course use the boat just on it's motor if anything it would be more stable without the mast :) Do you have a boat in mind and a place to keep it as with sail boats you will have to think about the depth of the keel and the water you use it on also if it's on a sea mooring will it dry out.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 726

hi fergal,thanks,very helpful,she is shallow keel,i would plan to keep her in the water,dont think it drys out where i have in mind,if you leave a grp boat in the water,do i recall reading something about osmosis becoming a problem due to this ?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,337 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

726 wrote: »
    hi fergal,thanks,very helpful,she is shallow keel,i would plan to keep her in the water,dont think it drys out where i have in mind,if you leave a grp boat in the water,do i recall reading something about osmosis becoming a problem due to this ?

You would usually only find osmosis on older boats or boats that were not taken care of, if the antifoul is done an a regular basic it should protect the hull from breaking down also if any cracks or deep starches are not fixed in time they can let water into the fiberglass causing osmosis. A good coat of wax on the gelcoat can also help protect it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 726

i understand,thanks again for your help,until next time/question,good luck

Advertisement