Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New wall sockets advice

Options
  • 16-10-2013 1:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭

Currently in the midst of renovating what was a spare room and the positioning of the bed will block access to the current double socket.

I want to add a new set of sockets to the other side of the room. This wall is a plasterboard partition wall and on the opposite side there currently exists a single socket for the hallway so there's already an electrical connection within the wall.

I'm still considering my options, be it to do it myself or get a professional, but what's the best way to approach this.

How difficult is it to branch off from the existing connection on the other side of the wall, would there be a loading issue etc ? If I do get someone to do it I'd like to ensure they're doing it the 'proper' way and not just the easiest way.

edit: just after posting I remember the new laws came in regarding electrical work, but would still want to be sure any contractor doesn't go about it the same way I would if it's incorrect.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭tomdempsey200

the max recommended number of points on a domestic radial socket circuit is 10(single/double socket)

the circuit can serve 2 rooms plus hallways and cupboards

there prob won't be a loading issue and afaik you only need a competent electrician to add a socket

don't think he has to be registered

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭Diggerdunne

The correct way to do it if the number of sockets on the circuit allows expansion is to take one leg into the new socket and then a new leg between it and the old socket, assuming there is 2 cables in the socket and that its not end of line . Also assuming there is enough slack on the cable to do that, but a back to back socket shud have the slack on it....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

All the sockets upstairs are on the one fuse so I'd guess that's one circuit ? That makes 3 doubles in the main bedroom, a double each of the two single rooms and the one on the landing, so that makes 6 points as opposed to 11 sockets ?

Advertisement