Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

looking for a good mechanic in Limerick dublin road side

• 16-10-2013 2:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭

I'm tired of mechanics who charge as much or more than dealers..if you ask to give you s price.like a high / low number as in price..

So looking for a good mechanic who give a ideal on a price before I get it done. Money is tight as with most people these days so everything us budget out
    Sorry for rant.just got work done by a mechanic whos good
    Too expensive and wont ever give a low.or high price so can plan to get work done
    Won't be going to him again

So anyone recommend a mechanic who will give idea on job cost and good in dublin side of limerick

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭KELTICKNIGHTT

Sorry for spelling. I was angry after getting a bill from.mechanic which was 2.5 times higher than expected based on his last work

Sorry for spelling. I was angry after getting a bill from.mechanic which was 2.5 times higher than expected based on his last work

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭jonski

I am using Aidan Frahill of Seamus McGrath Motors for a good few years now and find their work great and the all the lads in there are sound . He is in the Eastlink Business Park . 061 603958 . I always get a ball park figure off him before I get the work done .

Thanks for that
    I tried a well know guy in area. Hes good. But 50 euros a hour and he wouldnt give me idea on how much. Was 2 jobs to be done and tough jobs.strange forward but wouldnt give rough idea on price.
    The way I look at it
    I gave a mechanic a go.if he over charges.wont see me again and I won't recommend him

Thanks for contact details.i check them out .is there a name I should ask for

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭jonski

Well Aidan is the guy the owns and runs it , there is a girl in the office that takes the bookings .

jonski wrote: »
    Well Aidan is the guy the owns and runs it , there is a girl in the office that takes the bookings .

I give him.a go. Thanks for info

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,278 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Thanks for that
    I tried a well know guy in area. Hes good. But 50 euros a hour and he wouldnt give me idea on how much. Was 2 jobs to be done and tough jobs.strange forward but wouldnt give rough idea on price.
    The way I look at it
    I gave a mechanic a go.if he over charges.wont see me again and I won't recommend him

Thanks for contact details.i check them out .is there a name I should ask for

€50 an hour in labour is typical for an independent mechanic, smaller one man operators from a shed at the back of his house may charge less and a main dealer will charge around €90 or more an hour in labour costs. The guy working on his own out of his shed has a lot less overheads than someone letting a premises with staff and expensive equipment.

bazz26 wrote: »
    €50 an hour in labour is typical for an independent mechanic, smaller one man operators from a shed at the back of his house may charge less and a main dealer will charge around €90 or more an hour in labour costs. The guy working on his own out of his shed has a lot less overheads than someone letting a premise with staff and expensive equipment.[/
    quote]

That depends
    The point is a good mechanic eho knows his stuff can give a omeone a idea on the work done.dont your 90 euros a hour at dealership as I talked to a guy who works at a dealership

Would you get work done. On. Anything without a rough idea of price ?

The flip side of that argument is that some customers then think that the original quoted price is gospel. When there is more work required that raises the price especially if the problem is more complex than first thought, the customer then think they are being ripped off. It's a no win situation for some.

• Advertisement

The flip side of that argument is that some customers then think that the original quoted price is gospel. When there is more work required that raises the price especially if the problem is more complex than first thought, the customer then think they are being ripped off. It's a no win situation for some.

Most good mechanics can give a low/ high price .if there is something extra to change then maybe price change but if a mechanic cant give a low / high
    price then hes no good...most people I know look for rough price as guidance so they can decide if they do it.. Its common. Sense
    If a good mechanic cant give a guide price. Then . that mechanic doesn't know his job or is ripoff
    Most trades are asked which includes me to give a price.it only changes if extra is needed in which you inform customers
    Its smart business and you get them back again.
    I don't buy your excuse that a mechanic who knows his business can't give low/.high guidance price

Are you mechanic or connected to a garage ????.

I deal with a mechanic for years.kniw his stuff.could tell me off top of his head without checking parts prices what it cost. If there was a chsnge.he let me know..thats a good mechanic..now retired

Most people these days say its hard to get a good mechanic who won't rip you off only excuses to there high price bill they give....they say if you get a good mechanic whos good and right price.keeps him

Most good mechanics can give a low/ high price .if there is something extra to change then maybe price change but if a mechanic cant give a li high
    price then hes no good...mist people I know look for rough price as guidance so they can decide if they do it.. Its common. Sence
    If a good mechanic cant give a guide price. Then . that mechanic doesn't know his job or is ripoff
    Most trades are asked which includes me to give a price.it only changes if extra is needed in which you inform customers
    Its smart business and you get them back again.
    I don't buy your excuse that a mechanic who knows his business can't give liw.high guidance price

I deal with a mechanic for years.kniw his stuff.could tell me off top of his head without checking parts prices what it cost. If there was a chsnge.he let me know..thats a good mechanic..now retired

No I am not a mechanic nor do I have any connection with any garage. But from experience in other business in general some customers think they are being ripped off if there is a deviation from the original price. It's not all black and white, sometimes the underlying problem is not apparent and costs more to put right than the original diagnostic and price.

No I am not a mechanic nor do I have any connection with any garage. But from experience in other business in general some customers think they are being ripped off if there is a deviation from the original price. It's not all black and white, sometimes the underlying problem is not apparent and costs more to put right than the original diagnostic and price.

In my case. I knew what had to be done.there was no extra.i even.bought the parts needed and the mechanic wouldnt give me low high figure. Its was straight forward.this didn't happen once but twice.a friend of mine whos friend is mechanic told him what price was a low and high price number..the guy who did mine charged a lmost twice that.he gave me no reason to why such high price
    . all I was told thats his price
    I.had vvehicle as lot longer thsn you Ithink.
    If s mechanic can be sstraight forward then . Not good ..theres no black snd white as you said..

A good mechsnic has a rough idea how much time it takes to do a job.and will give you guidance in price .if there is a chsnge.he will ring you snd tell you how much more...

I been desling with mechanics in Ireland in places I lived and abroad..a good mechanic will give you rough idea if theres a problem.he ring you and tell you a better price.reason why is thst hes already doing the job.knows how much time hes been at it and if a problem accures.he can tell you how much extra common sence..maybe you get jobs done without asking but most peop . I know get a rough quote so they have a guidance on price .they do this with different mechanics thenrhey ddecide who they get..yes .we all know.sometimes they find there might be another part needed but the mechanic know how much more time need .
    And still can say rough price

In my case. I knew what had to be done.there was no extra.i even.bought the parts needed and the mechanic wouldnt give me low high figure. Its was straight forward.this didn't happen once but twice.a friend of mine whos friend is mechanic told him what price was a low and high price number..the guy who did mine charged a lmost twice that.he gsv Ed me no reason . all I was told thsts his price
    I.hsd vvehicle as lot longer thsn you Ithink.
    If s mechanic can be sstraight forward then . Not good ..theres no black snd white as you said..

A good mechsnic has a rough idea how much time it takes to do a job.and will give you guidance in price .if there is a chsnge.he will ring you snd tell you how much more...

Advertisement