Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cooking for family

Options
  • 16-10-2013 2:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭

I am cooking for my family today, I am goin to make a beef curry from the jar and boil in the bag rice with my own little twist :rolleyes: let me know what you think ;)

I have boil in the bag rice which i am going to cook then add to a saucepan with heated olive oil, I have prepared mixed eggs with finely sliced peppers and garlic to add some flavour to the rice.
    With the sauce I am using a jar of medium curry, I will heat this in a tray in the oven, I have chopped onion, pepper(red/yellow), chillies, garlic to add to this sauce.
    Store bought diced beef which I will heat on a pan with olive oil until brown then add it to the curry sauce. I might add cayenne pepper to the beef but it might be a bit much.
    Then i will leave this in the oven until im happy to serve.

What do you think of this dish?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

That sounds nice. With your rice are you trying to make something like fried rice? If so, from bitter experience, if you put hot rice into oil in a small pan then add raw egg right on top of it you will end up with a greasy, stodgy rice and egg pudding. (The arse of which is burnt to your pot)

Use a wok or a large pan, let the rice cool down completely before adding it to the oil and when it's heated through push it all to one side of the pan and add your eggs to the other and let it cook for a few seconds before you mix it through with the rice (basically do what they say here)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭homemadecider

Would you consider making the curry from scratch instead of from a jar? It would be so so much better.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

I'd probably use a casserole rather than a tray for the curry, it'll be easier to submerge the beef in the sauce and keep the moisture in better.

Be careful if you're adding wet rice to the pre-heated oil.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

I've found the best fried rice is made with day old rice. Freshly made rice goes stodgy. If I didn't have day old rice I'd use the microwave stuff and put it straight into the frying pan/wok.

Advertisement