Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 'Funny (ha, ha)' side of religion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

2woirl4.jpg

Jesus obviously lived in a galaxy far, far away :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭AstraMonti

11694846_10205849997347743_3518214934081335834_n.jpg?oh=7ea6e42a00294b6733ab24ccf125c266&oe=560F1110

• Registered Users Posts: 8,707 ✭✭✭Worztron

355809.jpg

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,417 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

In the style of This Week in Science comes "The Week In Creation Science(tm)":

355905.jpg

355921.jpg

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

• Advertisement

355963.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 28,488 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Worztron wrote: »
    355963.jpg

Christians and Catholics?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭obplayer

looksee wrote: »
    Christians and Catholics?

There is a school of thought among some branches of Christianity that Catholicism is not Christian but pagan. An example below.

http://www.jesus-is-savior.com/False%20Religions/Roman%20Catholicism/catholicism_christian_or_pagan.htm
    The Roman Catholic Church, headquartered in Rome, Italy, has its own powerful City-State, the Vatican, and claims over 968 million members worldwide and 60 million in the U.S. and Canada (as of 1996). (Catholic membership figures are considerably misleading, though, in that they count as members every person who has been baptized Catholic, including millions of people who were baptized as infants but who are not practicing Catholics.) The Roman Catholic Church, in its pagan form, unofficially came into being in 312 A.D., at the time of the so-called "miraculous conversion" to Christianity of the Roman Emperor Constantine. Although Christianity was not made the official religion of the Roman Empire until the edicts of Theodosius I in 380 and 381 A.D., Constantine, from 312 A.D. until his death in 337, was engaged in the process of simultaneously building pagan temples and Christian churches, and was slowly turning over the reigns of his pagan priesthood to the Bishop of Rome. However, the family of Constantine did not give up the last vestige of his priesthood until after the disintegration of the Roman Empire -- that being the title the emperors bore as heads of the pagan priesthood -- Pontifex Maximus -- a title which the popes would inherit. (The popes also inherited Constantine's titles as the self-appointed civil head of the church -- Vicar of Christ and Bishop of Bishops.)

Personally I just think all religions are mad, I don't discriminate.:D

obplayer wrote: »
    ... Personally I just think all religions are mad, I don't discriminate.:D

+1

356048.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,941 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

356170.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 34,935 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Jesus Christ that's a big image

The Dublin Airport cap is damaging the economy of Ireland as a whole, and must be scrapped forthwith.

356167.jpg

Almost worth going to Galway tomorrow to see a stick walk. Wonder will it visit Clonrickert?

Walking stick of St Teresa visits Ireland on world tour

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/social-affairs/religion-and-beliefs/walking-stick-of-st-teresa-visits-ireland-on-world-tour-1.2295814
    The walking stick of St Teresa of Avila is in Ireland as part of a worldwide tour to mark the 500th anniversary of the birth in 1515 of the founder of the Discalced (shoeless) Carmelites congregation. It will arrive at the Carmelite Abbey in Loughrea, Co Galway, on Saturday morning and at St Joseph’s monastery in the afternoon.

In a 20-year period before her death at the age of 67 in 1582, St Teresa established 17 foundations around central Spain. One of the leading Christian mystics, she was canonised 40 years after her death, in 1622, and declared a doctor of the church by Pope Paul VI in 1970.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,935 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Hopefully official Garda / Army time won't be wasted babysitting a fecking relic like last time.

The Dublin Airport cap is damaging the economy of Ireland as a whole, and must be scrapped forthwith.

356277.gif

356350.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 16,164 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Due to the recent very high Yes vote in the Gay Marriage referendum God has sent some very bad weather that will apparently only affect No voters:

Croagh Patrick pilgrimage cancelled

:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭recedite

Strong winds last night knocked a number of medical stations that had been set up in anticipation of today's events and the glass panels on an oratory at the summit of the mountain were blown out this morning
    Crom Dubh was the god who originally owned this mountain, and the pilgrimage day. Blame him ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

recedite wrote: »
    Crom Dubh was the god who originally owned this mountain, and the pilgrimage day. Blame him ;)

Somebody didn't know the riddle of steel I'd say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭Lucifer MorningStar

tk1EAcD.jpg

356449.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 25,558 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

2lv0c94.jpg

356547.jpg

^^^ Got to remember that one, next time a christian tells me I'm going to hell!

robindch wrote: »
    ^^^ Got to remember that one, next time a christian tells me I'm going to hell!

Or a muslim also. ;)

Worztron wrote: »
    Or a mulsim also. ;)
    Seriously, it's not a bad idea - many religious people trade on the confidence which religion provides and ostentatiously not taking them seriously can work wonders.

Case in point - a few weeks ago, Popette was wondering whether one of her neighbours was gay. So instead of engaging in any serious discussion, I said that "look, i'm not interested in your neighbour's bottom and what he does with it"; "but, but, that's not what I'm asking"; "No, you want to know what he does with his bottom and his bottom is his business; same as your bottom it is your business"; "no, you're not listening"; "yes, I am - bottoms, bottoms! not interested!". Haven't heard a word against the gheys since then - hallelujah!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

robindch wrote: »
    #GrowingUpCatholic is a thing on Twitter:
    Funny some of the things people were talking about that I never encountered;

- Holding hands during the Our Father (WTF)
    - Counting the number of people in line so you knew who you'd be sitting beside. Were you split up entering the pews or something? I.e. if there are 3 pews, every 3rd person is sitting beside eachother?

Advertisement