Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 'Funny (ha, ha)' side of religion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,336 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

C86onX4XoAESXTd.jpg

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 8,707 ✭✭✭Worztron

414156.jpg

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

• Registered Users Posts: 18,336 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

C9GZ_XgWAAE8baE.jpg

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,752 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

17861580_1483188031702962_7903547996633878661_n.png?oh=f384daa6840ced0e829e3edc43071c49&oe=594E7568

• Registered Users Posts: 12,998 ✭✭✭✭bnt

"Look, Dad, they don't get it at all. No way I'm going back down there, ever!"
    17879957_10155204924134568_315700429073642464_o.jpg

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,902 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

A carpenter dying by being nailed onto wood is kinda the supreme irony really.

A little twist from the author to remind us it's all a fiction :)

The Dublin Airport cap is damaging the economy of Ireland as a whole, and must be scrapped forthwith.

he's a cord cutter so he uses Netflix and Spotify now? is that it? I'm over 40 and it's hard to keep up with the teenagers who won't get off my damn lawn

The Dublin Airport cap is damaging the economy of Ireland as a whole, and must be scrapped forthwith.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭infogiver

A carpenter dying by being nailed onto wood is kinda the supreme irony really.

A little twist from the author to remind us it's all a fiction :)

Ah but he didn't die from being nailed to the cross.
    I'm surprised at a Bible scholar like yourself making that kind of rookie mistake.

Presumably you are maintaining that this man who may not have actually existed at all, somehow didn't die, due to stuff and things.

Are you going to cite the bible as proof at me now :pac:

Presumably you are maintaining that this man who may not have actually existed at all, somehow didn't die, due to stuff and things.

Are you going to cite the bible as proof at me now :pac:

No he did die, just not from being nailed to a cross. Genuinely surprised now, I thought all atheists knew their Bible inside out!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭pauldla

infogiver wrote: »
    No he did die, just not from being nailed to a cross. Genuinely surprised now, I thought all atheists knew their Bible inside out!

Are you pointing out that, while he did die nailed to a cross, his actual cause of death was giving up his spirit himself (It is finished/Into your hands I commit my spirit, etc)?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,379 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Was there actually an autopsy done?

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭mickoneill31

It was a joke. It was humorous. Thanks for getting rid of the humour.

Not everything on this thread is meant to be taken literally. It's like the bible in that regard :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

Whilst the alleged spear to the kidneys might have been the straw that broke the camels back, I am fairly sure being nailed to a tree was a contributing factor in his death. Also, is there not some controversy around whether or not the spear thing happened? Obviously, the entire story is bollox, but is there not a school of thought that the spear was added to help the whole made up comply with yet another prophesy the Jesus story didn't fulfil?

MrP

• Registered Users Posts: 13,517 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

MrPudding wrote: »
    Whilst the alleged spear to the kidneys might have been the straw that broke the camels back, I am fairly sure being nailed to a tree was a contributing factor in his death. Also, is there not some controversy around whether or not the spear thing happened? Obviously, the entire story is bollox, but is there not a school of thought that the spear was added to help the whole made up comply with yet another prophesy the Jesus story didn't fulfil?

MrP
    Tons of questions, of course. Did it exist? Was it nailed through the hands - unlikely,the anatomy doesn't really work, or the wrists? Was it alive when it came down from the stick/tree and never actually 'rose' but woke up from its injuries, rambled about a bit, then finally actually did die? And, they who are called the Romans, do they go to the house? What was the role of the Judean People's front vs. the Popular Front for the liberation of Judea and was there really a Judean suicide squad?

HAGW

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,417 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Ah but he didn't die from being nailed to the cross.
    To the best of my memory, scholars of the time believe that the wrists of prisoners were instead tied to the cross - a nail through the palm of one's hands would have ripped away easily enough, while a nail through the wrist would probably have severed an artery and the prisoner would have quickly bled to death.

Puts all those traditions about Jesus being nailed to the cross to question - plus Dupre's effective "Jesus est attaché sur la Croix" (from 54:22 here) where the composer uses the resources of the instrument to portray the relentless, if inaccurate, banging of a hammer.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,417 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    Was there actually an autopsy done?
    Nope - the Romans did go looking for the corpse a few days later, but Jesus had done a runner.

Wouldn't like to have been the low-paid Roman soldier responsible for checking that Jesus was dead when taken down.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,329 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

robindch wrote: »
    Nope - the Romans did go looking for the corpse a few days later, but Jesus had done a runner.

Wouldn't like to have been the low-paid Roman soldier responsible for checking that Jesus was dead when taken down.

I understand that they reported 17 thousand of him were found dead

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

If the stations of the cross were live tweeted

https://www.joe.ie/life-style/stations-cross-live-tweeted-585062

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

• Advertisement

pauldla wrote: »
    Are you pointing out that, while he did die nailed to a cross, his actual cause of death was giving up his spirit himself (It is finished/Into your hands I commit my spirit, etc)?

What he said... :)

2017-04-12.png

pauldla wrote: »

No, that wasn't his cause of death at all.

No, that wasn't his cause of death at all.

Dude, funnies thread on an atheism forum. Really???

Maybe Doctor Who can team up with CSI:Jerusalem for a special episode to give us the scoop of what actually happened

• Registered Users Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭Trent Houseboat

smacl wrote: »

Maybe Doctor Who can team up with CSI:Jerusalem for a special episode to give us the scoop of what actually happened

In episode 2F09 when Itchy plays Scratchy's skeleton like a xylophone, he strikes the same rib twice in succession, yet he produces two clearly different tones. I mean, what are we to believe, that this is some sort of a magic xylophone or something?

Barbie! wrote: »
    If the stations of the cross were live tweeted

https://www.joe.ie/life-style/stations-cross-live-tweeted-585062

Now that's a lot more potentially offensive than the Tesco ad, but oddly enough it seems none of our guardian angels were triggered by it...

smacl wrote: »

You don't need CSI. Jesus died when a Roman soldier plunged his spear into his side.
    I want to wish a very happy and holy Easter to all the posters on A&A who I just know are all at home enjoying this most Christian of Christian holidays!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,555 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

You don't need CSI. ALLEGEDLY Jesus died when a Roman soldier plunged his spear into his side.
    I want to wish a very happy and holy Easter to all the posters on A&A who I just know are all at home enjoying this most Christian of Christian holidays!

FYP

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭mickoneill31

You don't need CSI. Jesus died when a Roman soldier plunged his spear into his side.

I'll enjoy any holiday that gives me an extra day off work. Thank you Easter Bunny.

• Advertisement

Never happened

Advertisement